Another trailer from around the world

Pooch72

Adventurer
I'm in the Air Force, currently in Christchurch New Zealand, and supporting what we call "Deep Freeze". The US Air Force flies supplies to and from McMurdo, Antarctica and NZ on C-130's and C-17's. I'm a crew chief on the C-17, and yesterday, I got a surprise when we loaded up two trailers that made me instantly think of the ExpeditionPortal. Now, these aren't Expedition trailers, but it gave me ideas as to what to do to my own trailer. Very cool stuff, and I took a couple pictures. Enjoy!

DSCN1781.jpg

This is the trailer. Now, what initailly grabbed my attention was the tires! HOLY MOLY! 40/17x16.5 ******** Cepek Fun Country Radials! And, here I thought *my* tires were overkill. These things are monsters! But, considering the environment that they'll be in, it all makes sense. McMurdo sation in Antarctica sees temperatures at -70 degrees on occasion, and tires are a "big" deal down there. (pun intended)

DSCN1773.jpg

DSCN1772.jpg

As you may (or may not) see on the back of the trailer, it's "Briford" brand. I looked it up, but couldn't get any specs on this particular trailer. I assume that it's a custom build for the US Antarctic program.

Here's an example of one of the vehicles that will likely be towing one of these trailers...

DSCN1783.jpg

And, I just had to get a picture of these bad boys. The fire department came out for our arrival, as, we're a "big deal" ourselves. When a C-17 lands in Antarctica, it gathers some attention. These guys had to be there, but they were happy about it.

DSCN1794.jpg

I know that some will be just as interested in the plane as the trailer, so to satisfy those... here you go.

DSCN1793.jpg

And, as they say here in New Zealand... Cheers!

Quill

Adventurer
Cool trailers, but that C-17 isn't a bad expo craft. Goes more places than any of mine will.

EWS

Observer
Thinking the drawbar looks a little on the flimsy side considering the conditions it may have to encounter, and it will be probably be loaded above its rated weight. It would be interesting if the manufacture comes up with a press release, and some one post details of the trailers performance under these Antarctic conditions.

Nice batch of interesting images though.

Pooch72

Adventurer
Any idea what the trailer was going to be used for? Was the inside empty?

Really not sure what the trailer will be used for, but the fact that it was so small, I can only assume that it will be used for basic transport of bulky items, which leaves more room in the van for people. I would suspect that space can be a premium down there, and no sense in throwing all your tools or bags in the van when it isn't necessary. I would estimate the trailer box to be 4' x 4' x 4'. It really wasn't very big at all. And, I believe they were empty, though I can't confirm as they were both locked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles