Aluminum or iron dutch oven?

phsycle

Adventurer
Never used aluminum, and probably won't ever. Cast iron cooks great. Weight isn't a concern for me, since I'm not hiking with it. Plus, I don't know of a single pro chef using aluminum stuff.

AFSOC

Explorer
I've only ever used my cast iron DO so I can't spout off about "this is superior to that" and vice versa. It would seem a bargain but the size doesn't seem to be one I would be able to use. A 16" DO is very large and the volume might be too much unless you were cooking for the whole camp and not just your family. Not sure about doing breads in an aluminum 16", maybe?

There is an internet forum about DOs and Dutch Oven cooking. They are every bit the enthusiastic, passionate, gear geeky, opinionated, self righteous, know-it-alls that we are on ExPo but their snobbery is dedicated to Dutch Oven Cooking. Spend a couple hours on their forum and you’ll learn all you can absorb about DO and probably swipe several great recipes.

PS: Be careful when using your internet browser to search the term “Dutch Oven”, probably best to include the word “cooking”

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Buy the lightweight aluminum Dutch oven and save your brain by getting rid of the antipersperant thats loaded with aluminum oxide. People rub that on the sweatiest part of their skin daily. Deoderant without it great. Read the labels and look for aluminum.

GroupSe7en

Adventurer
aluminum on the brain

Check your baking powder as well - most brands are loaded with it.
Rumford is one of the al-free ones.

It might not be directly responsible for your "old-timers" disease, but I was under the impression that aluminum is one of the things your body can't purge.
That can't be a good thing.

I'm not sure that anodizing will help at all. It's really just oxidized aluminum. It's like rust and it can chip and wear, and be removed by very high or very low ph.
Plus, the coating will crack (micro-cracks) at high temps because it has a different expansion rate than the base aluminum - like maybe if it was surrounded by red hot coals.

But then again, I think the flouride in the water and our toothpaste will do us in before the al in our brains.
I personally seem to have a lot of empty space in my brain...

Cheers,
Mark

Wyowanderer

Explorer
Covered already, but I'll weigh in...

The size is the only thing that bothers me. I use my 5 Quart (about 10" dia at the top) Lodge and it's usually a little large for me and a couple campmates. I'd personally wait and buy something smaller, if it were me. I'd also buy an iron oven out of personal preference, not for health concern. As far as the health concern of aluminum cookware, remember that correlation does not equal causation; it's a little like blaming the ball for breaking your window, rather than the ten year old who threw it. As some here have posted, just because "studies have shown" that aluminum is present in Alzheimer patients does not necessarily mean it's the cause of the disease.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior