Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stanley Thermos Warranty *review*

Default Stanley Thermos Warranty *review*

Rather than write a complaint, I thought I would call this a *review*.

My family, both my grandfathers and my dad have always used Stanley Thermos products. -both have had the same thing for years, works great. My mom bought my brother and I thermoses for Christmas about 5 years ago. It only took about a year of use out of mine for it to stop keeping my coffee hot longer than about two hours. The next Christmas go around, mom bought me another. This time it lasted about 4 years, bringing us to date.

For whatever reason, I kept the first one knowing someday I might just try to take Stanley up on their lifetime warranty promise. Well...about 2 months ago I decided to begin my warranty claim. What a nightmare this has been. Let me share my experience.

First off, talking to someone at Stanley for a warranty is impossible. If you want to purchase something, call away. Yes, there is a warranty phone line...good luck.

I took it upon my trusty gmail to get a message to them. After about a 5 day wait, I get a reply with a PDF asking for information from the bottle, the bottom specifically. Flip your thermos over and you will find a sticker placed in a very nice spot; right where the info they ask for is located. I went to town scrapping that stupid thing off, almost deciding to give up, it just isn't worth it...then I thought, nope...that's the point of this stupid sticker. Goo-gone, water, brake cleaner...nothing takes that stupid thing off. I ended up using a screw driver to scrape it off.

So I email them the info. They replied...about a week later...no need to send in your old stuff, they will mail new thermoses out, expect them in 2-3 weeks. 2-3 more weeks, its almost been a month since my initial email, what kind of customer service is that? Whatever I thought...its a $20 thermos. If they show up, great.

-about a month goes by...a (1) thermos shows up. Guess what...I requested 2, both of mine are not keeping anything hot.

Now I am waiting on a reply from Stanley as to where my second thermos is.

*review* to be updated....

Default Warranty Help

Hi Frank

I work in Marketing for Stanley and I am sorry you are having such a hard time with our products and customer service. I apologize for your inconvenience and that you have had to go through so many hoops to get our attention. I would like to put you in contact directly with our person who manages customer service so we can solve this dilemma. If you can email me with your information I will get in contact right away so we can help you out. I am in the office M-F 8-5 west coast time, if I do not answer my phone please leave a message with the best time to call you back. Also I am available by email 24/7. I am a real person, not spam or trying to pull your leg. Again I am sorry for all the trouble you are having and hope we can find a solution.

http://pmi-worldwide.com/who-we-are/default.aspx

Sincerely
    Julie

http://www.stanley-pmi.com/about-us/contact-us
    Last edited by Julie; 02-17-2012 at 06:27 PM.

Watching for updates....
    08 Inferno Orange Z71 Colorado Crew Cab 4x4 I5, no lift
    Winch, skidplates, Century Truck Cap and a Little Guy on the rear hitch
    Our travels blog at Happy-Tracks.com
    MAFWDA & United Four Wheel Drive Associations

Thank you for the email and the PM, Julie. I should have updated this, my apologies.

After waiting two weeks, I decided to once again call to see where the second thermos was at. The lady became quite combative on the phone insisting that I only made a claim for one. After reading the email I initially sent to Stanley (for two thermoses) she took the information again and about 5 days later, my second thermos showed up.

Overall, quite an ordeal to get two thermoses replaced at what is supposed to be a no hassle warranty policy.

I love Stanley products, my wife bought me a new coffee mug for Christmas and it is very nice. The mother in law bought me a Stanley flask for Christmas to add to my "first aid kit". This warranty though...a joke. I guess they finally did come...months afterwards.

Fwiw I don't consider ~4 weeks as an outrageous time on a consumer product such as a thermos. Hell it takes "4-6 weeks" to get a $5 rebate card from the office supply store. I recently warrantied my Fossil watch, Leatherman Skeletool, Otter phone case, etc. All took approximately that time frame from start to finish with the process and given my experiences with similar warranties I didn't remotely think it was out of the norm. In the case of Fossil, they use a 3rd party warranty company that had to receive the item (my dime to ship), inspect and attempt repair, and if they can't repair they attempt to replace, if they can't replace with an identical model they send out a gift certificate that can be used in one of their Fossil stores or online. Again, weeks of process that I felt fine with. I can understand your frustration with the quantity dilemma but given the fact they were willing to warranty one on your good work I think I would have given them the chance to followup on the second before turning to the www.

If this was an auto part, cell phone, computer or other 'high priority' need item I would expect much faster turnover but for a pair of 5 year old Thermos's I don't see their time frame/process as unrealistic personally.
    Kurt Williams
    Cruiser Outfitters
    Your original outfitter for OME - ARB - AA - Safari - Helton - Engel - Since 1992
    Join us on Facebook
    ExpeditionUtah - A lifelong project of exploring Utah
    kurt@cruiseroutfitters.com

Hi Frank

I am glad you received your thermoses, and sorry you still feel this way. I'd still like to put you in contact with our Customer Service manager. As a company we are going through some big changes and our customers are very important to us, we are only here because of our loyal customers. We like to hear from everyone, good or bad, so we can figure out what is going wrong and improve on it. I personally depend on my stanley gear when I am out hiking so I understand how irritating it can be when you like to depend on something, it fails, and ends up being the biggest pain in the butt at the end of the day.

If you can give me a ring, we'd still like to talk to you and get your opinions on what would make things work better and easier.

Sincerely,
    Julie

I will try to call you this afternoon, Julie.

Default Warranty Help

Thanks Frank,

It was nice hearing from you. Feel free to contact me if you have additional questions.

Julie

Working on the front lines in a related customer service role for my company I'm also looking forward to learning how good Stanley service proves to be.

1996 Montero SR (3.5L v6, rear Locker), 35" mudders, 3.15:1 xcase crawler gears
    Build Thread: http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...su-build-up...
    1989 SWB Montero RS (3.0L v6, rear LSD), 33" mudders (sold)
    1990 LWB Montero LS (3.0L v6, rear LSD), 33" mudders (gave to rxinhed)
    1990 LWB Montero LS (3.0L v6, rear LSD), 31" AT's (rolled 1st time I ever drove off road)

I'm more than satisfied with the customer service that's been shown from Stanley. Being sought out to help a company improve its service like is being done here is almost unheard of. The timelines aren't impossible for a relatively low value, high volume item. But... maybe my expectations are different.

The multiple reported quality issues are a bigger concern. Stanley vacuum flasks are near indestructable, or at least used to be. (The one my brother and I gave our dad about 40 years ago is on my shelf and going strong). Have they changed so much that a majority of them fail to give satisfactory service? Wow. To the original poster: What leads you to conclude multiple flasks have gone bad? How did you run the test to get the "two hour hot" or "not keeping anything hot" results?

Don
    Last edited by 4xdog; 12-30-2011 at 01:54 PM. Reason: typos

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast