Scepter water and fuel jug top compatibility

GGimbert

Adventurer
A few questions. First - Is there any reason one could not store fuel in the water containers? If not then do the fuel lids fit on top of the water jugs? Finally do the water jugs have the same venting in the neck as the fuel jugs?

Thanks for looking.

4xdog

Explorer
Details about the materials of contruction of the MFC and MWC Scepters aren't published, but it's common for polyolefin (high density polyethylene especially) fuel tanks to be fluorinated with elemental fluorine to give the needed barrier properties. It makes a big difference in minimizing the permeability of the HDPE.

I wouldn't store fuel in a non-fluorinated plastic container, and wouldn't switch lids between MWC and MFC.

Storing water in a fuel tank isn't so clear. A virgin MFC would certainly hold water of course. I'm not crazy about the risks from mistaken labelling that would result. Would the water itself be safe?. Dunno for sure. I don't see big risks, but it's also not normal practice.

Don

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Not worth the risk

the water ones have a V compresion fit seal

The fuel and diesel tanks have a flat gasket seal specific for the fuel being carried.

You can use diesel in a gas can - but not the other way arround

There is no venting on either of the fuel carriers

Feel free to carry water in a fuel tank- but not the other way arround either- just not worth the risk- see the acetylene tank leak thread for an idea of what happens when flamable vapours leak

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
MWC's can still be had new for $20-25, but that price doesnt make it worth the risk of using for fuel imo. Spend the extra $$$ and get a purpose built fuel container. A MFC intended for diesel can be converted to gasoline use with a simple gasket swap. There are some fairly extensive threads on thr subject here on ExPo that highlight the concerns mentioned already as well as ithers such as the thickness, markings, and the internal venting present on the MFC. Pouring fuel out of a MWC through a spout sans vent is going to be a messy or slow process, defeating the purpose of having a quality can.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier