Planning a 4x4 trip to do the Cleghorn trail in S. Cal over New Years weekend.

mike5

Adventurer
Thanks Ray. This was at the end of the day when I thought the scary stuff was over...boy was I wrong!

rxinhed

Dirt Guy
Looks like you had fun in the old haunts. We did that route dry in our LUV 4x4 twice, one in the snow with my Dodge dually. :sombrero:

Silverwulf

Adventurer
I can't remember, did you change gearing when you put the 35"'s on?
I'm getting a retro rais check from work and going to use it for a "tires and wheels for the monty" fund. Will be lifting mine 2" soon. On the fence betweeen tire size. 33/35?

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I can't remember, did you change gearing when you put the 35"'s on?
I'm getting a retro rais check from work and going to use it for a "tires and wheels for the monty" fund. Will be lifting mine 2" soon. On the fence betweeen tire size. 33/35?

No gearing change required for 35's but expect a slow down in performance. That said I can easily push her to 100mph if I don't control the right foot albeit it won't get there too quickly.

Silverwulf

Adventurer
No gearing change required for 35's but expect a slow down in performance. That said I can easily push her to 100mph if I don't control the right foot albeit it won't get there too quickly.

Well, you have the DOHC motor, right? I'm sure that helps. My 3.5l feels wheezy over 85mph, lol!
What do you think, Ray? 33's or 35's?

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Well, you have the DOHC motor, right? I'm sure that helps. My 3.5l feels wheezy over 85mph, lol!
What do you think, Ray? 33's or 35's?

To reduce the wheezy feeling upgrade to the 4.6x:1 r&p's from a 94-96's SR. IIRC, 97's w/ a locker may also have those gears but i can't recall when Mitsu changed to 4.2x:1 r&p's.

Forget 33's or 35's. Get 37's or even 39's LOL!! Seriously what will be your long term intensions for the rig? If mostly expedition type wheeling, the smaller the tire the better. Keeps COG lower and reduces gearing ratio loss and keeps wind resistance down. For hard core stuff like rock crawling, I'd go a minimum of 33's and 35's would be highly recommended to keep the clearances as high as possible.

FWIW, I've been looking for a set of used 32's for street use so I can reserve the costly 35's for wheeling only.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94