Planning a 4x4 trip to do the Cleghorn trail in S. Cal over New Years weekend.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I'm in as well. Anyone happen to know if there is cellular reception along any parts of the trail?
Great! Will be good to see you again and get a chance to wheel together.

I just ran this trail on sunday and it was a good time! I'm not sure but i have heard that around that time frame you could expect some snow which would certainly make things very entertaining! There are lots of little off shoots from the main trail ranging from mild to what appeared to be pretty difficult.

I had cell service 95% of the time i was on the trail with verizon.

Mike
So Mike I hope you're saying you want to go again!

I'm in if I have the time off. My schedule for that week isn't out yet. Getting time off here at Ucsf during holidays can be challenging to say the least!
Hope you can get the time off Chris. Keep me posted on that.

Not that it matters too much, but it's actually kind of the reverse. Cleghorn itself is a basic fireroad that is quite easy. Over the years people created many loops and alternate routes off the main trail that are typically more difficult. Many of these were never authorized routes by the Forest Service. Over the past couple years the Forest Service has closed many, but not all, of these bypasses. Some still remain, and it's a credit to the local Forest Service managers that they are working to turn some of these into designated routes.

Either way, it's nice to have the option to take on a little more challenge or run the easier way.
Ahh that makes sense. Always nice to see 4 wheelers working closely with the Forest Service on projects like that.

I think they are almost bald BFG long trails. LOL. I would be still down to go since it is so close to me. And my experience is extremely low. So I will probably be sticking to most of the fire-roads. Since we are on topic, should I get 33x12.5 on the stock rims or 32x11.5? I am for sure getting BFG M/T's.

Oh, and I just picked up a GoPro Hero2 adventure video camera I would be willing to test out that day. Sweet.

I suspect that if it's dry the worn tires may be fine (especially if you're tight on funds) but if it rains/sprinkles or the soil is still moist from earlier rains then you will probably want fresher tires. Stock rims are either 6 or 7" wide. The minimum width for a 12" tire that most reputable tire shops will be ok mounting tires is 8". That said, I know folks who have run 12's on a 7 inch rim and they've been fine for the most part. I've been told that you need to bear in mind that the tire will likely wear in the center more with such a narrow rim.

I have the original GoPro Hero that I won at the 1st Overland ExPo in Hollister that I still haven't used since the interface is so kludgy. I may finally try it out... LOL

m3at333hp

Adventurer
G

I suspect that if it's dry the worn tires may be fine (especially if you're tight on funds) but if it rains/sprinkles or the soil is still moist from earlier rains then you will probably want fresher tires. Stock rims are either 6 or 7" wide. The minimum width for a 12" tire that most reputable tire shops will be ok mounting tires is 8". That said, I know folks who have run 12's on a 7 inch rim and they've been fine for the most part. I've been told that you need to bear in mind that the tire will likely wear in the center more with such a narrow rim.

I have the original GoPro Hero that I won at the 1st Overland ExPo in Hollister that I still haven't used since the interface is so kludgy. I may finally try it out... LOL

It's not so much funds are limited; more like time is limited unfortunately! I am hoping I will have them on by then. I think I will give the 12.5's a shot. I do not like how narrow 33x10.5's look. I get the idea of a taller tire with better gas millage, but IDK, just looks a little odd for me. And I do not want new rims because I like the OEM look. My Monty is a 98 SR (or whatever it is called since they got rid of the SR branding by then), so I wonder how wide my stock rim really is.

Yeah, I heard the interface on the original GoPro was horrid; one of the main reasons I went with the new edition.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I gave a gopro too!
I have the 32x11bfg my an like them a lot. I'd get the 33x 10 next time, tho. Only reason I got the 32's is because I got a super deal on them.
I checked my time off and have Friday afternoon through Monday off. Yay.
Good you can help me figure out mine LOL!!

Hey, Offroader
Can you give me and the other fng's some insight/advice as to what items are necessities and otionak to bring? Things like recovery gear, supplies etc...
Thanks!

Just off the top of my head (means I'm probably forgetting something) I always bring comms, recovery gear, 1st aid kit, extra clothes for the season + coveralls, food for the day + extra food in case it's needed.

You should all bring clothing, food & comms. If possible (and I HIGHLY recommend it) bring the most complete 1st aid kit you can afford. This may be one you purchase outright or put together yourself.

As for the other tools and recovery gear bring what you have or can get by the trip but remember if I already have it, you can always borrow it.

Recovery Gear:
- D-Ring Shackles (several)
- Pull/Tow Strap
- Snatch Strap
- 60" HiLift

Tools:

Air Compressor

Comms:
CB Radio & FRS/GMRS radio's.

And other miscellaneous stuff.

I'm sure there's more so feel free to chime in where I may have forgotten something.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I was looking up Cleghorn trail. I came across this and thought I'd share it
http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/trails/info/california_04923/ride_2022.htm

Offroader, Thats a lot of tools! Wheres the aircompressor? I have 95% of that. I just don't have sae or deep sockets. Only metric.

Yup. Found that page but haven't had a chance to dig into it more since I'm at work.

It's and old pic. I used to carry a 15lbs CO2 tank. I no longer carry one or the associated tools.

I carry SAE sockets because some of the upgrades I've done use SAE fasteners and with 12 point sockets having the right size is more critical to minimize the possibility of rounding stuff off.

I will say that I've started to switch to carrying cheapo sockets instead of more expensive ones. They're way cheaper and for our application usually good enough. For bigger bolts I'm using the cheap impact sockets since there's less likely hood of them breaking from 'hand' use.

shmabs

Explorer
I will have to look at my work schedule but i would say coming back down here in new years is probably out of the question. Plus its a long trip for us, about 800 miles one way.

silverwulf,

cow mountain sounds great and i really want to get there before i end up moving. This weekend wont work, but i would like to go in the future.

Keanan

Observer
I'm interested in going. I've ran Cleghorn a few times but it is always a fun trail.

Put me on the list.

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
I hate to say this (I live 20 mins from Cleghorn), but it is not worth driving from northern CA to run this trail. Not to mention, it's a 1/2 at best to run the whole trail on the hard lines. Don't want to be a downer, but would hate for some of you driving a long way to be disappointed.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
So thus far we have going...
TyTy (Tyson)
m3at333hp (Andrew)
mike5 (Mike?)
Torquey (Jason)
Keanan (Keanan??)

There are also 4 more going who aren't regularly on here so that's 10+ rigs.

BTW, I know some of you but the rest, post or pm me your names so I don't call you m3at333hp etc on the trail. ;)

So cynrat, shmabs, clem, & ca-rj are you also looking at going or were you just adding insight for the trip?

Silverwolf (Chris) too bad you can't make it. Would have been good to meet you in person on this trail run.

We may also do a trail that's on the San Andreas fault which I understand is a pretty nice trail as well. I'm looking at doing this on the 1st... my usual Hangover Avoidance 4x4 Run.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles