Planning a 4x4 trip to do the Cleghorn trail in S. Cal over New Years weekend.

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
Probably just adding insight as I think my schedule is pretty full over the holidays, but I may jump in at the last minute if I have time.

m3at333hp

Adventurer
My name is Andrew btw and I think the biggest deciding factor for me will be my tires. Just texted a friend to get a price for me so we will see.

Good news is I got my rack installed last night (that's what she said)
IMG_20111207_075506.jpg

Silverwulf

Adventurer
Looks great! What brand is it, what lights did you use? I am actively looking for a rack for my rig and also want lights. How did you wire them?
Thanks.

PS, you have M3?

m3at333hp

Adventurer
Looks great! What brand is it, what lights did you use? I am actively looking for a rack for my rig and also want lights. How did you wire them?
Thanks.

PS, you have M3?

It is a Garvin wilderness rack I bought used off a Jeep guy that I mounted with gutter mounts. The lights are Hella 4000's. I haven't wired them completely yet.

No, I should have bought a M3 but I know drive a 2004 525i and used to have a 325is (both manual)

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I was just adding the wheel info.
I won't be joining the trip...Too far South.
Thanks,
Clem
You're only an hour north of me (I'm in Lathrop) so it's not that far ;) but yeah I understand.

just insight for me, it was a fun but short trail we ran it a bit quickly in about 2.5 hours.
mike
Yeah that's what I've been hearing. Looks like a good half day trail and knowing some of the guys going, maybe longer because some of us WILL take those difficult bypasses.

I'm also looking at doing a 2nd trail nearby that runs along the San Andreas Fault. Will post up as I learn more on this trail and it's locale.

It is a Garvin wilderness rack I bought used off a Jeep guy that I mounted with gutter mounts. The lights are Hella 4000's. I haven't wired them completely yet.

No, I should have bought an M3 but I know drive a 2004 525i and used to have a 325is (both manual)
...I think the biggest deciding factor for me will be my tires. Just texted a friend to get a price for me so we will see.
Great. Updated the list with your name.

I also have one of the Garmin 4x6 racks on my Gen I. It's very stout. I'll eventually move it to my Gen II (after removing the stock roof rack). I've already had new side rails made to extend it 2' longer so it will be a full length rack. I had them made because the cost of new side rails and floor bars from Garvin was ~$450 IIRC. Cost to have the sides made was $150. The floor will simply be longer square tube stock bolted to the ends the same way the original floor was done.

BTW, did you buy those 4000's new or via CL or something? I've always liked them but cost has prevented me from buying a pair for use up front. Instead I have a pair of $70 hella 700's.

Probably just adding insight as I think my schedule is pretty full over the holidays, but I may jump in at the last minute if I have time.
Hope you can make it.

m3at333hp

Adventurer
BTW, did you buy those 4000's new or via CL or something? I've always liked them but cost has prevented me from buying a pair for use up front. Instead I have a pair of $70 hella 700's.

Hope you can make it.

I bought them via CL already on the rack and professionally wired. The only thing was my rack was a "track rack" for a wrangler unlimited so I just removed that and bought the gutter mounts. I got what I consider to be a steal of a deal!!! The guy lived in newport beach so he was just trying to get rid of it. It cam with those 4 Hella 4000's. Ax, shovel and hi-lift mounts from garvin. Plus an ax and shovel. He even gave me a ladder that was made for the jeep that I think I am going to somehow bolt on the side of my rig. All for $500, I priced everything out brand new and would have been around $1500 and this one is in amazing shape!

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I bought them via CL already on the rack and professionally wired. The only thing was my rack was a "track rack" for a wrangler unlimited so I just removed that and bought the gutter mounts. I got what I consider to be a steal of a deal!!! The guy lived in newport beach so he was just trying to get rid of it. It cam with those 4 Hella 4000's. Ax, shovel and hi-lift mounts from garvin. Plus an ax and shovel. He even gave me a ladder that was made for the jeep that I think I am going to somehow bolt on the side of my rig. All for $500, I priced everything out brand new and would have been around $1500 and this one is in amazing shape!

NICE!!! That's one of the better score's I've seen. Let me know if you determine that 4 on top is too many. ;) I need two up front to replace my Hella 700's along with a couple of decent quality but low cost LED fog lights for night wheeling.

m3at333hp

Adventurer
NICE!!! That's one of the better score's I've seen. Let me know if you determine that 4 on top is too many. ;) I need two up front to replace my Hella 700's along with a couple of decent quality but low cost LED fog lights for night wheeling.

I already have 2 KC daylighters on the brush guard. I think I am going to be over-kill. I am going to order an optima yellow-top soon. I probably need a bigger alternator but we shall see. lol

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I already have 2 KC daylighters on the brush guard. I think I am going to be over-kill. I am going to order an optima yellow-top soon. I probably need a bigger alternator but we shall see. lol
I am serious if you want to sell 2 of the Hella's.

As for batteries, also consider that Sears Diehard Platinums over the Optima Yellow tops. I've owned 3 yellow tops. The most recent ones haven't really been the cats meow and fail too easily if you let them discharge :(.

Instead of a bigger alternator, you may also want to consider LED auxilliary lights instead of the 4000's/daylighters.

m3at333hp

Adventurer
I am serious if you want to sell 2 of the Hella's.

As for batteries, also consider that Sears Diehard Platinums over the Optima Yellow tops. I've owned 3 yellow tops. The most recent ones haven't really been the cats meow and fail too easily if you let them discharge :(.

Instead of a bigger alternator, you may also want to consider LED auxilliary lights instead of the 4000's/daylighters.

The only reason I do not want to sell them is for looks even when they are off since all 4 match and look mean. Time shall tell though. I am almost thinking on putting them on a secondary battery (not connected to the alternator). I rarely use the existing lights as is and I could always charge the battery.

Thanks for the tip for the Sears brand!

Silverwulf

Adventurer
I was considering some led lights for a rack. I wanted 2 on each side and 2 at the rear. That was if I were somewhere with no light I could see around the vehicle and also while accesing the rear hatch.

Silverwulf

Adventurer
I was considering some led lights for a rack. I wanted 2 on each side and 2 at the rear. That was if I were somewhere with no light I could see around the vehicle and also while accesing the rear hatch. I wanted LED because of the low draw on the electrical system. Having that many halogen lights would surley tax they charging system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94