Planning a 4x4 trip to do the Cleghorn trail in S. Cal over New Years weekend.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
If I have my tires by then, I should be in. Just sooooo much football going on!!!

What kind of tires are you currently on? The nice thing about the Cleghorn from what i'm reading is it's comprised of 2 intertwining (easy & hard lines) trails. I'd expect your Montero can likely do the easy trail with street tires if it's dry. Still researching the trail so don't hold me to that quite yet.

mike5

Adventurer
I'm in as well. Anyone happen to know if there is cellular reception along any parts of the trail?

shmabs

Explorer
I just ran this trail on sunday and it was a good time! I'm not sure but i have heard that around that time frame you could expect some snow which would certainly make things very entertaining! There are lots of little off shoots from the main trail ranging from mild to what appeared to be pretty difficult.

I had cell service 95% of the time i was on the trail with verizon.

Mike

off-roader

Expedition Leader
That's great! Please let me know your level of experience and comfort driving off road so I can plan accordingly.

From what I'm reading, the beauty of this trail is it has bypasses for the difficult sections so the less experienced/capable rigs can still join in the fun.

I haven't decided on the day to run the trail yet. Any considerations I should keep in mind? I'll be driving down Thursday night and spending the weekend with friends in the LA area. It may be a good idea to do the run on the 1st when there will hopefully be fewer people on the roads since many will still be recovering from New Years Eve LOL.

Let me know what you all think on that.

Silverwulf

Adventurer
I'm in if I have the time off. My schedule for that week isn't out yet. Getting time off here at Ucsf during holidays can be challenging to say the least!

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
From what I'm reading, the beauty of this trail is it has bypasses for the difficult sections so the less experienced/capable rigs can still join in the fun.

Not that it matters too much, but it's actually kind of the reverse. Cleghorn itself is a basic fireroad that is quite easy. Over the years people created many loops and alternate routes off the main trail that are typically more difficult. Many of these were never authorized routes by the Forest Service. Over the past couple years the Forest Service has closed many, but not all, of these bypasses. Some still remain, and it's a credit to the local Forest Service managers that they are working to turn some of these into designated routes.

Either way, it's nice to have the option to take on a little more challenge or run the easier way.

mike5

Adventurer
I'm flexible with the timing but the 1st sounds good. And I don't mind getting stuck...so any level trail where the montero stands a chance...I'm down.

m3at333hp

Adventurer
What kind of tires are you currently on? The nice thing about the Cleghorn from what i'm reading is it's comprised of 2 intertwining (easy & hard lines) trails. I'd expect your Montero can likely do the easy trail with street tires if it's dry. Still researching the trail so don't hold me to that quite yet.

I think they are almost bald BFG long trails. LOL. I would be still down to go since it is so close to me. And my experience is extremely low. So I will probably be sticking to most of the fire-roads. Since we are on topic, should I get 33x12.5 on the stock rims or 32x11.5? I am for sure getting BFG M/T's.

m3at333hp

Adventurer
Oh, and I just picked up a GoPro Hero2 adventure video camera I would be willing to test out that day. Sweet.

Silverwulf

Adventurer
I gave a gopro too!
I have the 32x11bfg my an like them a lot. I'd get the 33x 10 next time, tho. Only reason I got the 32's is because I got a super deal on them.
I checked my time off and have Friday afternoon through Monday off. Yay.

Silverwulf

Adventurer
Hey, Offroader
Can you give me and the other fng's some insight/advice as to what items are necessities and otionak to bring? Things like recovery gear, supplies etc...
Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94