polling maggiolina airtop owners regarding the seal between the shells

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
I will be happy to help you with materials and repair advice.

IT IS IMPORTANT - WITH ANY ROOF TOP TENT - TO USE CARE TO AVOID PROBLEMS FROM IMPROPERLY STOWING THE TENT FOR TRAVEL. The rougher the trail, the more care required.

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
Hi Kramme,

I've always thought the Element is the perfect platform for a Maggiolina. We set one up for off-road use a few years back. I think even Truck Trends picked it up. It was really sweet.

KC's Element.jpg

I don't know if this helps, the older Maggiolinas used a proprietary fabric made by Bayer of all folks. It looked and felt like regular canvas but was synthetic and had thousands of holes, it was really a tight mesh. The advantage was it really breathed well but the drawback was it didn't handle chafe all that well. You really had to be careful not to pinch the fabric between the shells. I did see one especially beat up 35 year old Maggiolina in Idaho years back. There were several holes in the fabric and I told the owner he could have the factory make up some new panels and it would be like new. He said he thought of it but since it didn't leak, why bother? The point is, the walls are vertical so you shouldn't have any problem with leakage from small rips. I would suggest not to worry, don't change your plans, use the tent and repair it when you have some downtime.

Last edited:

kramme

Observer
Thanks Lemsteraak, for your comments, the Element has worked well for my camping needs. Most of my ideas came from this website. I will be at the Expo in May (my 1st one) and am bound to even get more gear and ideas.

Mike thanks for the comments, I will contact you tomorrow (Mon).

Attachments

• Element.jpg
    Element.jpg
    584.2 KB · Views: 18

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
Ron

The tent is always supplied with a ladder. Apparently this didn't get done when you picked up your tent.

Call me and I will get on in UPS for you.

Mike

fubuki

Observer
I've had my tent for a few months now and have spent a few nights in it and wanted to share my experience. I also have the problem with bugs and dust getting inside the tent when it's closed. Furthermore, I'm having a serious problem with insects getting inside when the tent is up. Since the doors don't actually seal completely I'm not sure what to do? I tried tucking the inner flap under the mattress to create a tighter barrier, but it didn't work. I was camping close to a river and my tent would fill with moths. I have no idea how to keep insects out. Also, no matter how careful I am I seem to always pinch the fabric. I've stained the fabric on the front where it comes in contact with the black foam as well.

On the plus side, my gas mileage is better than with a traditional RTT and set up is much quicker. However, I'm not sure it was worth the money. I was so excited for this tent and it's been one disappointment after another. Oh well, you live you learn.

STREGA

Explorer
I recently purchased a used medium Airtop and it has been on my FJ for about a month now. I have not experienced any issues with dirt, bugs or water getting in when the tent is closed yet. We just got back yesterday from 2 weeks of camping in Colorado and had rain everyday, a couple days were very heavy and we stayed dry. I even pressured washed the truck off and popped up the tent afterwards and had no water intrusion at all. The PO had to repair the tent material in a couple places due to the small holes caused by the tent material not being folded around the gas rams/arms properly. The guy used a repair tape that is made for the Sunbrella tent/awning material and so far is doing the trick. He also claimed that the tent was delivered to them that way, and when I picked up the tent from him he spent a few minutes with me to show me the proper way to fold the material around the lift mechanism. It's not hard to get it folded correctly once you know what to look out for and we have put it up and down quite a few times now and have not had any new holes appear.

I know that 2 weeks (12 nights use) is not that much time to gauge how well this tent is going to do in the long run but overall I'am very impressed with it. Considering how much rain we encountered and the fact that we stayed dry (which also means we were never cold either) says alot. My fuel mileage is slightly better with the Airtop over the Ezi-Awn that it replaced and the setup/take down time is faster as well. We can also put all of our bedding in it, we could not do that with the Ezi-Awn and still have the cover fit properly. Still need to do the high winds test which the Ezi-Awn did very well, I'am hoping the Airtop will do as well.

Colin Hughes

Explorer
I have been using an Extreme for about three years now. I do get dirt, etc on the front outside of the tent but it is very easy to clean off. The mesh material used by Autohome is not no-see-um and I've had a couple of my customers complain about small blackflies while camping in the early spring here in Canada. They have actually cut some no-see-um material and velcro'd it to the screen areas. I've been in some pretty major rain storms, once right on the cliff edge of the Atlantic Ocean and the tent has always kept us dry.

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
I have been using an Extreme for about three years now. I do get dirt, etc on the front outside of the tent but it is very easy to clean off. The mesh material used by Autohome is not no-see-um and I've had a couple of my customers complain about small blackflies while camping in the early spring here in Canada. They have actually cut some no-see-um material and velcro'd it to the screen areas. I've been in some pretty major rain storms, once right on the cliff edge of the Atlantic Ocean and the tent has always kept us dry.

Hi Colin, years ago there was a debate about no-see-um netting. By nature it has to be very fine mesh, so it restricts air movement when you need it most. Personally, I've never had good luck with durability because it is so fine.

The work around is to spray the net with a repellant. The mesh that AutoHome uses is narrow enough that no-see-ums can't fly through, but land and wiggle through. I've had good luck with Skin So Soft, non toxic and for some reason flying insects don't like it.

I have a fairly new Columbus and AutoHome now has it where you can unzip the mesh. So, if you wanted, you could replace it with a finer net if you don't like the above idea.

Colin Hughes

Explorer
Yes, that is exactly what I told them, it would restrict the air. I'd never thought of spraying the mesh but that's a great idea. Personally, I've never had a real problem with bugs, except when it's really hot and I just have the mesh at the doors and my butt gets too close to it during the night .... :)

yotajorge

wish i had seen this earlier!!! i have a airtop on its way as i type to mount on a congo cage on my 2012 rubi 2dr. very expensive unit to have this many problems? whats this about the doors not closing completely? and the seal leaks? isnt that the idea to have a weather tight case on the roof with dry bed inside? and when ur in it it should be at least as good a door as a standard ground tent? so its open on the bottom? ******!! mybe i will refuse delivery? but then im setting up a tent on the ground again !!! arrrhhgg I'll be baaack!!!

spressomon

Expedition Leader
I've owned and extensively used an Overland, a Maggiolina Grand Tour and recently bought a new Columbus small extra long model. So far, admittedly with only two back to back nights in it, I love it.

Been thinking about this issue for awhile and I surmise its not that they can't build a completely 100% air/water tight seal but possibly more a matter of the mildew/mold issue that would surely develop after putting it down when the fabric is wet/damp and then rolling with it. After a baking session in the sun and some time you'd surely have one smelly tent on your hands if it was 100% airtight in the closed position.

So it seems there has to be a little air infiltration to prevent the above scenario; I just zip the doors up before closing to keep the interior dust free in transit.

The bottoms of the doors have a flap of fabric that is designed to hang over the lower lip of the fiberglass tub. This, when its raining/snowing allows the interior to remain completely dry. At first it seemed a little weird but it works fine. They do have different style doors it seems for each model variant...

yotajorge: If this is your first RTT, and you're like me, you're going to swear off sleeping on the ground after you use it once! And the relatively aero shape of the fiberglass units makes for better fuel efficiency and a bit quieter running too.

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
Yotajorge

I wouldn't sweat it. AutoHome test their tents extensively. The main problem I've seen with AutoHome and Zifer before it is the documentation that comes with the tents, namely very little. Maggiolinas have always had a closing procedure where you need to fold the fabric and put it in pockets in the front and back so the fabric doesn't get trapped between the shells and wears. Their tents come with a vague instruction sheet to show how this works. The new AirTop will have a procedure, I would take very careful notes when you open it the first time and see how the factory folds the fabric. If you have any question call them, I've called Italy with questions on my tent, because there were new rings inside that had no documentation whatsoever. Turns out it was a self folding feature for the fabric they were coming out with the next year, they wanted to make sure the tent was backward compatible when they introduced the system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz