polling maggiolina airtop owners regarding the seal between the shells

yotajorge

off subject

hey lemsteraak i love your avatar. is that a lyle hess design drawing? ive sailed many thousands of miles and always wanted to own a falmouth or bristol channel cutter. sailed on a few. perfect boats if there is such a thing.

DUTCH

Curmudgeon
just noticed in the info it came with the condensation mat is not recommended for this modeldue to closing issues?? web site says its an accessorie. piss poor info all around.

I have the anti condensation mat in mine, and there is absolutely no problem closing the tent with the ladder on top of the mattress.

G500RTT1.jpgG500RTT4.jpgStorage.jpg

Last edited:

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
Yotajorge,

I'll admit, I'm a fan of these tents. You are absolutely correct to question the design and construction of the tent, it is your *** out there. The point is that you are paying a lot of money for what the tent is as well as what the tent isn't. If this were designed in the US it would have all sorts of warning stickers and straps to keep you from falling out of the tent and it would certainly weigh a lot more. Oh, and did I say it, there is no seal, you are right those rubber things couldn't seal a thing. The tent works as well without, so why have seals, just another thing to go wrong.

Could spin a few yarns about sailing with you. The avatar is a drawing of our boat, a Dutch Lemsteraak, capable of crossing seas and climbing mountains. It has sailed the tropics and even climbed its way up to Switzerland. It is shallow draft, with leeboards and can't come close to the speed or grace of a Bristol Chanel Cutter. I agree, if I was blue water sailing, that would be the boat.

Getting back to these tents. I'm glad you got one. They are different, made by folks I was fortunate enough to call my friends. About 25 years ago I wandered into a very small town in the Po river valley of Italy to get one. They make wine, farm or make these tents, the town is that small. They take huge pride in them and like anything that a small group of people develop and use, they make it their own way. They still make them by hand, and once when I asked them why not ship all the tooling to China to lower the cost, the owner smiled and told me that this is what they do. Personally, I have to respect that.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Sorta out of the topic but Dutch I like your RTT garage ceiling lift! I assume you are using small pulleys at each corner?

yotajorge

understood

lemsteraak, completely agree with you, thx for letting me in on your history with the tent and the people who buildthem. i meant no disrespect, just concern as you know.spent about a year researching the available rtts and this was my #1 choice. i will have the unit mounted today and plan on using the **** out of it. well it sure sounds like we could spend a few nights around a campfire exchanging stories and tales of adventure!!! dutch thx for the update. i think its a good addition so glad to know it fits. the info i quoted is there so ******? ihave a system similar to yours for hauling my hardtop off the jk and storing. i will need to raise my carport now so hoping to do the same with the rtt. during my research i came upon a new company in the carolinas if i remember right called roost tents. seems to be a copy of the columbus. over $3k as well, black shell with removable tent fabric to use as a storage pod. went with maggi strictly for the reputation. i guess when i think about it, as a manufacturer myself, i was so sure of what i would see under the lip of the clamshell that i was totally shocked by what was actually there! since i have to assume they are all like this and its not a case of too much wine for the builder i will now just disapear into the high country and do what i do. good day gents, and fair winds

yotajorge

just for the record....mike at autohome saw the photos and wants it back!! says it def is not right. so after my trip this week i will be in contact to work out a swap......

STREGA

Explorer
ok thanks guys. i guess thats the way it is. if id a seen one i doubt id have bought it! i talked to mike at ah usand sent a bunch of shots of the upper corners inside. tere are big gaps in the neoprene weather stripping. seems like it would be easy enuf to fill em. i just got my rack on so as soon as i can get a hand im mounting the rtt and then im gonna give it a hell of a workout. if they are all this way it must be ok. again thanks for the great responses!! gotta love this social media, power to the people.View attachment 116191View attachment 116192

I took a look at mine last night while we had it up and it doesn't look like yours at all, the seal? or what ever it is called is one continous piece all the way around on ours. I'am sure Mike will get it taken care of for you though.

fubuki

Observer
just for the record....mike at autohome saw the photos and wants it back!! says it def is not right. so after my trip this week i will be in contact to work out a swap......

You know I think mine looks like that as well. I also sent pictures to Mike after speaking with him on the phone and I haven't heard a thing back. It's been a few weeks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne