Pop Up Camper Mounnted on a Trailer, Good idea or ...

pods8

Explorer
If I wanted a setup I'd also use on a truck I'd consider a truck camper on a trailer, however if it was strictly on a trailer I'd probably look at a trailer specific camper. They've got quite a bit more room in them since there are the bed steps.

Another pop-up trailer camper to look into are chalet folding trailers. A hardside camper a previous FWC owner moved into and seems to like quite a bit is the Castia.

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Hey Whiskey,

I have debated on moving my skamper to a trailer in order to have my truck more readily accessible. Sometimes the camper is on the truck for months at a time cause Im using it every other weekend, but then I dont get the truck on the other weekends. I personally think you would be fine doing so.

You mentioned that the fit was an issue for your superduty. I was in the same boat. I didnt want to fork out 7k for a used FWC so I settled for a much cheaper camper and 2 years later am still using the heck outta it. I ended up with an 89' skamper which was for a mid-size truck and I custom built a storage boxes and drawers in order to fit it on my truck. Check out the build page, link on my signature. It might give you some ideas. But overall I have been VERY happy with the setup and am only about $1500 into the project.

Good Luck! :smiley_drive:
Paul

NothingClever

Explorer
I would think a pop-up truck camper mounted on a trailer would make for difficult entry and exit given that it's probably much lower to the ground.

longshanks

Stan, thanks for posting those photos. I'm working on making some changes to my utility trailer, so that I can eventually put a FWC Grandby (or similar) on it.

BUT, what's this I hear about a FWC Grandby not fitting on a modern pickup? I know that the pre-1990 models are wider than 60" at the tailgate, but I thought that everything newer than 1990 was 60" across the tailgate, which should fit all newer full-size pickups, unless I'm wrong. While I'm at it, can anybody tell me how much clearance there is between the jacks of a 1990+ FWC Grandby, ie. how wide can I make my trailer before the wheels won't clear between the jacks!

Grizzly, I'm thinking along the same lines that you are... Ultra light weight and tough. Can be used either on the trailer or on the truck. Would be very versatile, and easy to haul down the bush road.

Last edited:

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
... and we have also had customers tow their four wheel camper on a trailer.
Stan, I think your Cajita model without the cabover portion would be ideal for trailer use. One question/concern I have: I know the FWC are built to en outstanding quality standard, but the ride of a trailers is quite a lot rougher than the one of a truck, especially on washboard. I'm speaking from experience; coke cans, eggs and much more will not survive a ride in a trailer. Would you have any concerns about the our wheel camper taking too much of a beating on a trailer.

Your insight is appreciated :D

Last edited:
Good Input

Thanks to Stan for the trailer mounted pictures. I am going to shop both the truck and trailer tent campers. One big issue for me is availability on the east coast for either option. I will visit the NC four wheel dealer and probably an RV dealer for the tent camper, But I definitely want the used option for either. Not so many of either in the east. Thanks for all the comments. I too was concerned that a truck camper would take a licking on a trailer. Still like the ultimate convenience of the truck camper, when you are there you are there with just several minutes to be ready. The off road tent trailers are pretty spiffy also.

Concerning fit, my understanding is only the eighties four wheel models require the extra width between the tail gate and there are a number of these still in very useable condition for a reasonable price. That was the genesis of the trailer idea since I found a few oldies but goodies that were in great shape. Any ideas appreciated, I want to be outfitted for my Utah summer adventures.

Cheers and happy holidays!!!!!

Whiskeycutter

Stan@FourWheel

Explorer
I think the FWC camper on a trailer will do just fine.

Especially if you are not doing any crazy off road stuff.

The contents inside are going to bounce around quite a bit more than normal though.

You should be prepared to secure things down well for traveling.

:)

Attachments

• RonRoach5.JPG
    RonRoach5.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 346
  • RonRoach6.JPG
    RonRoach6.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 92
  • RonRoach3.jpg
    RonRoach3.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 81
  • RonRoach4.JPG
    RonRoach4.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 88
  • RonRoach1.jpg
    RonRoach1.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

Bill Barlow

I have a 1995 Skamper 60S mounted on a M101A3 3/4 ton trailer. Took it to Baja and did a lot of off road driving.
So far I'm happy, still have some mod's to finish but camping comes first.

IMG_1691.jpg

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Shiiiii..thowdy, taint nuttin me n the missus like more n puttin our pop up on our trailer n doing some campin.

Camper:

Missus:

Bill Barlow

M101A3 Trailer with Skamper 60S camper

Ok So I got a deal on a 1995 Skamper 60S needed a few repairs but still a deal.

Not having a truck I needed a way to transport the camper, so I picked up a M101A3 trailer.
CG matched the camper and at 869 pounds still had margin to add more payload.

So far had a great time camping in Baja and California camp grounds.

Attachments

• IMG_1691.jpg
    IMG_1691.jpg
    534.2 KB · Views: 20

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior