Baja 1000 - My New Found Drug

sami

Explorer
The following report is a somewhat complete history of my recent adventure into Mexico for 6 days to witness the 2011 Baja 1000 with a group of friends. No animals were harmed in the making of this story.

Monday Evening – Witch of the Sea Style Attitude and Coyote Lullabies:

Dave Connors, Kurt Williams, Ryan Davis, Darren Webster, Matt Russel, and I met at the Draper IKEA parking lot around 5:30pm Monday evening. I was the last to arrive, loaded my gear into the back of Ryan's truck and we set off southbound with Mexico in our sights. First stop of the trip, Del Taco on the outskirts of western Lehi for some grub. Oddly enough Dave swore they had a really good burger, which, to my surprise wasn't bad for a crappy taco chain.

Back on the road we headed west down UT73 towards Faust, then southbound on UT36. We hit Delta, Milford, and Cedar City before hopping on I-15 inbound for Las Vegas to ditch Ryan's truck at his Brother's place, and add two more star characters to our convoy, Marc Van Tassel and his trusty FZJ80, Ursula, who lives up to her name by having plenty of attitude. Kurt and I jumped in with Marc, Ryan with Dave and the rest of the crew in Dave's 100 Series Land Cruiser, and we rolled out. Upon exiting Las Vegas there was a very noticeable vibration and slight noise coming from beneath Ursula, which would be diagnosed as a blown U-joint on the front drive-line. The drive-line was removed under the florescent lights of a quiet gas station as Matt pounded down a bag of Cheetos due to Dave's adamant refusal to allow said messy snacks into his Cruiser.

b1.jpg

b2.jpg

Loaded up and back on the road again we made quick time southward towards Blythe CA, finding a place to camp for a few hours before descending upon El Centro and into Calexico/Mexicali. The air was nice and cool as we slept under a massive bright moon, like a giant 'Welcome' sign ushering us into our desert adventure. We were serenaded by coyotes and tractor trailer 'Jake brakes' as we caught some zzz's.

Tuesday – Menacing Mix-em-ups and Abandoned Beaches

b4.jpg

b3.jpg

Morning came a bit early, and we bombed toward the border. As we rolled into El Centro we found a drive-line shop who believed that they could fix Ursula's front propeller shaft in an hour or two. It was decided that we would hang out in El Centro for lunch and a little downtime while Wymore Industries Inc performed surgery.

b5.jpg

b7.jpg

An hour or two turned into 3 hours as we killed time by driving around all of El Centro looking for a Dillards which we never ended up going into, grabbing some In 'n Out, tossing a frisbee around, and watching an episode of 'Eastbound and Down' in Dave' Cruiser. Kurt made quick work of reinstalling the drive-line once Wymore was finished with it, and we were once again southbound towards the border.

b6.jpg

Not more than 10 minutes down the road we noticed a burning smell, which we determined was the new u-joints in the drive-line breaking in. Noting that the driveline was quite hot, we made kept our ears perked for unwelcome noises that Ursula might initiate. We rolled into Calexico with the drive-line now making all sorts of noises so we pulled over one block before the US/Mexico border crossing, inspected the damage, pulled the drive-line once again and stowed it in the back of the 80 Series; now realizing that we would be limited to rear wheel drive for the duration of the trip. The u-joints used must have been all wrong, as they were already toasted no more than 20 miles on the rebuilt drive-line.

With the sun rapidly falling from the sky at this point we were rushing to get into Mexico with monies changed, passports stamped, and on our way out of Mexicali but not before snagging some tacos in town. But with my luck, we encounter more surprises at the border with an entry fee to Mexico ranging from $21-25 depending on who you were apparently; there wasn’t much of a standard with the Mexican banker man. This whole process stressed me out, being my first real trip/adventure outside of the US. I was not anticipating a $21 fee at the border, which killed my food cash by 20%. To top it all off, once we filled out the needed paperwork with the Mexican Government they held onto our passports as we changed money across the street, then walked another 100yds to the bank; all in unfamiliar Mexico, at dusk, without our passports. Dave, Matt, and I finally made it back to the Mexican border office to show our receipts for $22 despite paying $21, even though we were originally told it would be $20 and were able to get our passports back. A sigh of relief as we headed away from the chaotic border crossing and hunted down a taco stand that the group found last year. With the taco joint located, I realize how lousy my limited Spanish really is. We filled up on tacos, and made our way south to San Felipe to find our first camp within Mexico.

Progressing through reflector saturated roads, a military checkpoint or two and we were finally rolling through a dark San Felipe late Tuesday looking for a beach to call home for next 10 hours. We found a beach campground that looked to be a deserted ghost town, and hunkered down underneath the wooden shelters with the sound of gentle waves crashing onto the shore; a perfect peaceful night to a somewhat frustrating day.

Wednesday – Baja Miracles and Desert Dreams

b9.jpg

b8.jpg

The sun popped up quickly, causing me to get restless while others were able to sleep in and recoup from a load of highway hours now safely behind us. After the campground management stopped by to collect dues, we hung out on the beach while Kurt and Ryan took a morning swim in the Gulf.

b12.jpg

b13.jpg

b14.jpg

DSC_5734.jpg

Slow to pack tents and sleeping bags we eventually geared up to head into San Felipe for yet more tacos, ice-cream, and some souvenirs. Once in San Felipe we found a taco joint called, 'Mariscos El Guero' with a nice ocean view, and we grubbed down as the locals attempted to sell their goods and sing to us with a nylon stringed classical guitar.

DSC_5755.jpg

DSC_5753c.jpg

DSC_5753a.jpg

After tacos, shrimp, Cokes and Fantas we made our way over to Chumpo's Pizza for some ice-cream and friendly conversations with locals who invited us to stay in their rental houses for next year's Baja 1000.

DSC_5753d.jpg

sami

Explorer
San Felipe is a relaxing little fishing village that I want to go back to, and which I find myself visiting there in my daydreams now that I'm back to reality in the daily grind. After Ryan bought a straw hat, some leather clog style sandals, and Marc loaded up on 3 gallons of vanilla and matching handmade Canguro bracelets for everyone, we headed off in the direction of Ensenada to hopefully meet up with Ted Moncure of the Toyota TRD Racing team in truck #779, and Joe Bacal with the #860 Lexus race team.

Winding mountain roads, moron tailgaters with lifted trucks and blinding HID and LED lights, another military checkpoint, and we were rolling into Ensenada.

DSC_5758a.jpg

DSC_5758b.jpg

Once in Ensenada we made contact with Ted and his crew at the El Cortez Hotel, parked in the guarded street parking, and grabbed some more tacos while swapping race stories with Ted and crew. In the group was also Joe Bacal, pilot of the new Lexus 570 #860, who won his class in last year's Baja 1000. We all headed over to the secure parking garage to get a personal tour of Joe and Ted's race trucks and chase vehicles. We offered up our assistance in anything they may need for the race, and we were given the task of stationing ourselves near race mile 100 to serve as a communications relay point for the #860 Lexus, and #779 Toyota. After chatting with Joe and Ted for an hour or two in the garages we decided to see if there were any rooms available.

DSC_5758c.jpg

DSC_5758e.jpg

DSC_5758f.jpg

DSC_5758g.jpg

DSC_5758h.jpg

Marc's “baja miracle” emerged as three open rooms at a very fair rate considering the international desert race about to commence on the hotel's doorstep. After we grabbed our bags and found our rooms for the night, I found myself staring out the window at the foreign-to-me streets of Mexico, beyond the walls of the secured parking of the hotel where teams went through their vehicles checking and rechecking equipment. Outside the secure walls the only vehicles cruising around seemed to be Policia's Dodge Chargers, and mud-caked pre-runner buggies and trucks returning from scouting missions to scope out the race route. I knew that I was about to witness one of the greatest annual off-road events to ever take place, full of history and heroes, with each year adding to it's fascinating chapters. I finally found my way to my bed and forced myself to sleep through the excitement of what I knew would be the trip of my life up to this point.

sami

Explorer
Thursday – Contingency Row's Diverse Desert Cars

Thursday would consist of walking around 'Contingency Row' which is essentially a parade of all manner of vehicles built to attempt and hopefully conquer the ominous Baja 1000 as they make their way to the tech inspection area to be cleared to race; making sure that their cars and equipment meet safety requirements and specific class requirements. The line-up of cars and trucks on Contingency Row snaked all the way to the side of our hotel from about 6 blocks away. Marc made sure to walk up to Sal Fish, the brains behind operating the Baja 100 for the last 37 years, and shake his hand as though they're old buddies.

DSC_5759.jpg

DSC_5765.jpg

DSC_5760.jpg

We spent the morning walking up and down the streets checking out all the different ways of setting up a vehicle; how do others mount their tires, tools, etc.

DSC_5770.jpg

DSC_5768.jpg

DSC_5775.jpg

DSC_5776.jpg

DSC_5802.jpg

DSC_5815.jpg

DSC_5825.jpg

DSC_5836.jpg

DSC_5846.jpg

DSC_5852.jpg

Soaking in all of the different ideas, and talking with many team members and drivers takes a toll and we were soon in dire need of tacos and Cokes. We hit up a nice little taco joint that the guys had found last year, which lends a perfect view of a busy corner where we can people/truck watch from inside.

DSC_5853a.jpg

sami

Explorer
After countless tacos, Fantas and Cokes, we headed back to the hotel to check out. We loaded up our gear in the rigs which were still under guarded watch, and once again headed out to look at more trucks as they slowly crept closer to the tech inspection area. It was cool to see rural residents in attendance to scope out the event. It is very clear that the locals absolutely love this event taking place in their neighborhood.

DSC_5868.jpg

DSC_5874.jpg

DSC_5885.jpg

DSC_5892.jpg

DSC_5871.jpg

DSC_5911.jpg

DSC_5923.jpg

DSC_5963.jpg

DSC_5960.jpg

DSC_5969.jpg

One show stopper in the mix of cars was the AGM BMW truck with an in-cab controlled hydraulic jack/lift system to aide in lifting the truck for trail repairs. The truck lifted about 1.5 feet up, which the crowds couldn't get enough of; it's a slick setup. There were several 5 cars that we looked over intently to see how Mathilda (Canguro Racing's class 5 car that didn't make it down this year) differs from other 5 cars. There were also numerous 11 class cars, which are stock VW Beetles. Sadly we would not see any of the 11 cars out on the live track due to their slower pace. The 11 class race the clock and are lucky to make checkpoints in time, displaying true dedication to the honor of such a classic class.

DSC_5992.jpg

DSC_5983.jpg

DSC_5992b.jpg

Afternoon rolled around and we decided that it was time to gas up and roll out to the desert and prepare for the race. Before leaving Ensenada we stopped at yet another taco joint that the crew had found last year, called Tacos El Pablano #2. We were a whirlwind of hungry and loud Americans in their nice quiet taco stand. Loud laughs and joking, we were amped over the awesomeness from Contingency Row, stoked about the great food we were chowing on, and looking forward to the action that we would witness over the next 24hrs.

DSC_5997.jpg

DSC_6005.jpg

DSC_6009.jpg

After tallying up dozens of tacos, quesotacos, tortas, and drinks we were on the road to find a spot at around race mile 100. We drove around a bit to find a good spot, paying some locals to get through their gate and find our spot. Finally we decided upon the spot that the crew posted up at last year, because it offered a small jump that immediately followed a somewhat sharp right-hand corner. We built a nice roaring fire, set up our camp chairs, and BS'd for the next several hours. More serenading from the local Coyotes, and we were offline for a few hours of rest.

sami

Explorer
Friday – Fending Off Frenzied Desert Trucks

DSC_6013.jpg

Surviving the late night visit from a cow and it's calf wandering through camp, the group's wake-up times staggered as the sun rose into the sky; signaling that the first of the 44th annual Baja 1000 participants, the motorcycles and ATV's, had started and were headed our direction. We could hear a helicopter in the distance sometime around 9am, and then the faint sound of a dirtbike revved to the max; Game on, the racers were coming in hot. The dust cloud approached and the screaming motorcycles louder and just around the corner. The leading bike ripped around the corner and caught air as he shredded past our group, our fists in the air cheering him on; opening the flood gates to the rest of the pack as they ripped through one by one, some on another's tail, and some in small clusters of bikes and ATV's.

DSC_6017.jpg

DSC_6019.jpg

DSC_6037.jpg

DSC_6033.jpg

DSC_6047.jpg

DSC_6065.jpg

DSC_6067.jpg

DSC_6073.jpg

DSC_6118.jpg

DSC_6096.jpg

At one point Marc was lucky to avoid being traction for a motorcycle that had slid off to the outside of the corner just before our camp as the racer carried too much speed into the corner.

DSC_6048.jpg

We monitored the 'Weatherman' radio frequency, as well as a few other race frequencies and listened as teams checking in on their racers, and medical personnel were called in for some bike wrecks.

DSC_6012.jpg

sami

Explorer
Shortly after the last of the bikes and ATV's rolled through we could hear the monstrous screaming of 800hp approaching. Trophy trucks. I took up position down the road from our camp armed with my Nikon so that I could snap nearly head-on shots of the trucks and buggies. I was excited to capture many close-up shots of drivers and co-drivers as they sped past my lens. I was perhaps lucky to not get run over as I was, according to Dave, wearing a desert ghillie suit, tan pants, green long sleeve shirt, and a tan vest. For safety, I then turned my vest inside out so that it was bright blue rather than tan. Darren was also capturing some intense shots using a small HD camera attached to a pole which he stuck out in front of approaching vehicles.

DSC_6156.jpg

DSC_6168.jpg

DSC_6171.jpg

DSC_6193.jpg

DSC_6190.jpg

DSC_6183.jpg

DSC_6197.jpg

DSC_6200.jpg

DSC_6202.jpg

DSC_6209.jpg

DSC_6226.jpg

DSC_6228.jpg

DSC_6229.jpg

DSC_6232.jpg

DSC_6234.jpg

DSC_6242.jpg

DSC_6245.jpg

DSC_6258.jpg

DSC_6280.jpg

DSC_6292.jpg

sami

Explorer
DSC_6297.jpg

After the initial trophy trucks came the class 1 cars, 7 class trucks, class 5 cars, 16 cars and all the rest of the pack.

DSC_6299.jpg

DSC_6301.jpg

DSC_6310.jpg

DSC_6323.jpg

DSC_6325.jpg

DSC_6315.jpg

DSC_6325.jpg

DSC_6329.jpg

DSC_6336.jpg

DSC_6333.jpg

DSC_6356.jpg

DSC_6365.jpg

DSC_6381.jpg

DSC_6389.jpg

DSC_6390.jpg

sami

Explorer
DSC_6595.jpg

We had a duty to assist Joe Bacal in the #870 Lexus LX570 race truck by relaying when the truck had crested the first hill leading into the mountain section that they would navigate throughout the night. The powerful Lexus roared by our camp just after sun-down and made dust into the darkness. Joe's co-pilot radioed as they crested the hill, and we bounced the check-in to #870's crew chief. Next up was to do the same for truck #779, a Toyota Tacoma driven by Ted Moncure and over-all crewed by Toyota TRD's development team. They had encountered some major issues with a broken tie-rod and broken suspension parts. They told us to not wait around for them as they were not sure how much farther they would be able to put the truck back together.

We had camp packed up and were leaving our communications relay post with tacos on the brain. After a detour through the desert following random cow tracks, we made our way back to Highway 3 and were headed into Ensenada for some grub at El Pablano #2. Delicious as always we filled up on tacos, though not quite as many as the night before, and then we rolled out towards Erendira to hopefully catch the front runners of the trophy trucks at approximately race mile 580.

IMG_0819.jpg

IMG_0816.jpg

IMG_0820.jpg

As we got closer to our coastal destination we noticed several motorcycles coming at us, and knew that we would need to hurry in order to not end up on the racetrack heading straight into the blinding lights of the leading trophy trucks.

Saturday – Fingers of Light In The Night

Now early Saturday, we started a new day as we dropped off of the paved road and onto dirt track; knowing that we were cutting it close with the timing of the trucks racing towards us out of view, like savage specters under the concealment of the dark night. We passed a few more motorcycles, and notice something off in the distance behind several small hills. What looked like on-going lightning in the low-lying clouds from what I can best describe as fingers of intense light in the sky like numerous bat signals, the trucks clawed their way up hillsides and we knew we were indeed about to meet trophy trucks head-on, in the dark, and about 1 mile from where we wanted to make camp for the night. As the roars of high-powered engines approached, lights rounded the corner up ahead and we got off the course as quick as we could. The two first trophy trucks screamed past us with an intensity that words cannot describe. With ungodly amounts of light leading out in-front of each truck, the deafening sound of engines fighting for position, glowing brakes, followed by a cloud of dust, these trucks instantly infect you with an undeniable love for the Baja 1000.

Dodging a few more Trophy trucks we finally made it to the coast and set up our camp next to the live racetrack. We started a large fire, set up our chairs, and got our cameras ready as the racers streamed by all night. Amazingly, at some point, we all fell asleep to the not-so-soothing sound of trucks, buggies, and motorcycles roaring past.

DSC_6609.jpg

IMG_0871.jpg

DSC_6610.jpg

As the sun pops up to give the racecar's lights a rest, a 16 class car rolls into our camp with a flat tire. Marc and Darren spring into action, getting the flat tire off and the new tire mounted up; with the supervision of Kurt to make sure all was done correctly. The 1608 car was quickly back on it's way to the finish line with a record tire change, Canguro Racing style.

IMG_0858.jpg

IMG_0861.jpg

After sticking around to watch more cars and trucks for a few hours, we then moved about ½ mile up the course to watch cars as they navigate what Kurt affectionately named, 'Death March Hill' the night before. Not too many cars passed by at that point, so we headed back out to Erendira.

IMG_0899.jpg

Along the way Marc stopped the Land Cruiser convoy to distribute toothbrushes and candy (in that order) to the local village children. The smiles on their faces made the whole trip worth it, and was very neat to witness and be a part of.

IMG_0901.jpg

IMG_0904.jpg

IMG_0902.jpg

Back on the road and headed toward Tecate to enter the US once again. Of course, we couldn't leave Mexico without getting one last good fill-up on tacos. El Pablanos #1 was the eatery of choice to fulfil our need for tacos. Next time you find yourself in Ensenada, find either of the El Pabano taco joints and go crazy with the Adobada, and Carne Asada tacos and quesotacos; you will not be let down.

After tacos we made our way to Tecate gassed up, grabbed some snacks, and waited in a 2.5 hour long wait to re-enter the US. Once we crossed back onto American soil we made out way to Las Vegas were we caught a few zzz's at Ryan's Brother's place.

Sunday – The Long Road Home

Sunday morning we were welcomed with a delicious breakfast that Ryan's Sister In Law cooked for us before we hopped back on the road for the remaining stretch of our adventure back to SLC, and Marc onto Ely NV. Our wolf pack at this point lost Ryan to meetings, Marc to splitting for Ely in another direction, and was now down to 5 with respective gear all loaded into Dave's 100 Series Land Cruiser. Surprisingly the ride back to Salt Lake wasn't terrible given the amount of fullsize male occupants and associated camping gear.

Post-trip Thoughts

Looking back on this week on the road and adventuring around the Baja peninsula following the Baja 1000, I am left with a serious longing and anticipation for the 2012 Baja 1000. Not only do I look forward to the camaraderie of a week-long trip with friends to the Baja 1000, but I'm looking forward to the 2012 racing season for team Canguro Racing. If you have a chance to experience the Baja 1000, get on it.

Intuit

Observer
First of all, thanks for the awesome trip report and all the pictures...I almost feel like I was there! Baja is an unbelievable place, we did a 10 day trip just over a year ago and I have been longing to go back ever since. My son and I are really wanting to go down for the 1000 next year. He (my son) is a huge Robby Gordon fan and got excited when he saw the picture you posted. Thanks again for taking the time to write this up.

Intuit

YukonRob

Adventurer
Nice writeup and some amazing pics. We go down every year, and it sounds like we probably crossed paths along the way - I even looked for myself in your pics from tech. I'd like to hear more about the fee you had to pay to get into Mexico - that's not something I've ever encountered, nor have I had to show my passport - we usually just roll right on through.

timh

Explorer
Loved the report and the pics! This is something I have always wanted to do but just haven't found the chance just yet. One of these days I will make it happen, and this thread gave me a bit more inspiration to do so.

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
Nice pics! Glad your friend wasn't hit. The outside of a turn is a bad place to be in Baja.

:sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior