Food Allergies

Lostmanifesto

Traveler
Having recently been tested and diagnosed with several food allergies, this video hits home. Robyn is doing great things by spreading the truth behind the US Food Industry. If you have 20 minutes to spare watch this video. A year ago I was suffering on a daily basis from food allergies not knowing. Since getting diagnosed and dramatically changing the way I eat, I have lost 45lbs and am healthier than I have ever been in my life. I no longer eat food that comes out of a box or can and try to always eat meat from grass fed animals. On the road this presents quite a challenge but I have learned how to manage. I know some of you probably think I am preaching, I am not. Just trying to shed a little light on what most of us have no knowledge about. The industry may be flawed but we all have the power to choose what we eat. Eat right and live a long healthy life!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fWXrRftyOMY

I know this is somewhat off-topic. I just hope when you pack up your cooler or fridge for your next adventure you choose wisely what you bring.

Thank you,

Jordan

targa88

Explorer
Jordan,
Interesting notion, Not only is there the issue of food allergens but that is combined with all the various chemicals and preservatives that are added to food - through processing.
Having spent the last 10 years of my life, managing a chronic illness. For me choosing the food that I can absorb is a daily challenge.
I am constantly amazed when I read the labels on food.
There are some very simple rules I abide by: if I can't pronounce it = won't eat it. Less processing is better. Closer to its natural form: if it has not been grown or fed then it might not produce the best results.
I echo your sentiment about managing food/diet when travelling. It is definitely a challenge - along with the cost associated with eating healthy (junk food is cheaper...)

Lostmanifesto

Traveler
Jordan,
Interesting notion, Not only is there the issue of food allergens but that is combined with all the various chemicals and preservatives that are added to food - through processing.
Having spent the last 10 years of my life, managing a chronic illness. For me choosing the food that I can absorb is a daily challenge.
I am constantly amazed when I read the labels on food.
There are some very simple rules I abide by: if I can't pronounce it = won't eat it. Less processing is better. Closer to its natural form: if it has not been grown or fed then it might not produce the best results.
I echo your sentiment about managing food/diet when travelling. It is definitely a challenge - along with the cost associated with eating healthy (junk food is cheaper...)

I couldn't agree more Colin. I also live by the cant pronounce it rule. I don't think very many people have any idea what they eat and many of the others that do think "oh I'll be fine" because it may not be affecting them immediately. Aside from allergies the chemicals pumped into our food are causing cancer among other diseases. Our bodies were not meant to eat that crap. I really hope more people wake up.

Mike_rupp

Adventurer
There are chemicals and there are chemicals. I do agree with the general sentiment behind your comments, but making generalizations isn't going to get you anywhere.

For example, there is product that we consume that is filled with chemicals: H20, ethanol, anthocyanins, polyphenols, esters, tartaric acid, malic acid, lactic acid, etc. It's called wine. It's about as natural of a food that you can possibly consume. Many of the chemicals added to food are as natural as the food itself.

Lostmanifesto

Traveler
There are chemicals and there are chemicals. I do agree with the general sentiment behind your comments, but making generalizations isn't going to get you anywhere.

For example, there is product that we consume that is filled with chemicals: H20, ethanol, anthocyanins, polyphenols, esters, tartaric acid, malic acid, lactic acid, etc. It's called wine. It's about as natural of a food that you can possibly consume. Many of the chemicals added to food are as natural as the food itself.

You obviously missed the point and didn't watch the video. Thank you.

Mike_rupp

Adventurer
I did watch the video. It was a snooze fest. She has scratched the surface, but still doesn't have the whole picture. You obviously missed the point. You somehow assume that if something is a chemical that you can't pronounce it is bad for you.

Just go ahead and buy 100% organic and life will be rosy. LOL

You do understand that there are plenty of pesticides that can be used on organic crops, don't you?

I've done a number of things to become healthier: 1) sleep a lot every night; 2) avoid wheat because of water retention and possibly celiac disease; and 3) corn because of dry eyes (I learned this from the example of a child who cannot eat it without his eyes going itchy and red).

FLYFISHEXPERT

LivingOverland.com
Regardless of the video, this is a very important subject. We are meeting more and more people with at least one food allergy and it is hard for many to make the change. The better half of our team has recently been diagnosed with one. So we are working with a friend of ours who is a dietitian, and also suffers from celiac disease, to create a series of recipes tailored to individuals with food allergies. We hope to be teaching these recipes during cooking classes this spring.

AchillesBogart

Adventurer
Jordan,
Have you considered preserving your own food for trips? That way you can have the quality food you want without having to track it down in the field. Plus it will taste much better than anything from the store.

I have a sulfite/sulfate allergy and that stuff lurks everywhere from toothpaste, to bread to commercially dried fruits. I love dried fruit, they are some of the best things to have in a backpack in the woods. However, with the sulfites, eating store bought means my lungs swell up and I wheeze for several days, so I learned to do my own. I've expanded my skills to canning fruits and veggies with plans to branch out from there.

I worked on an archaeological survey of an old road from 1920's and we found lots of mason jar remnants along with some broken plates and cups scattered at what appeared to be a popular spot to eat at near a creek, so I know it is possible for glass to survive on rough roads. My next plan is to experiment with canning meat so on my next trip I'll only need a small cooler for the other essentials milk, butter, and beer.

The Center for Home Food Preservation has tons of info on all different kinds of preservation. http://nchfp.uga.edu/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior