Elmo's New Toy Hauler Build

TheThom

Adventurer
Awesome, glad you got to get out and use it! Also glad that camping gets easier when the kids get older....

njtacoma

Explorer
This is the amount of wood we had left after Friday Morning's fire... My buddy (a fireman) is a bit of a piro... Luckily, it was all from an old pine tree and was very dry, but we finished it all off by this morning.
Seems like most of the firemen I know are that way as well!

Like how the trailer came out. The kitchen is really nice.

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
Thanks... I'll have to spend some time updating things later this month. Haven't done too much other than use it a lot since April. Been out 7 different trips I think. Just got back from another small trip this weekend. I'll be installing the heater and finishing off the propane and water pump in a couple weeks now that things are slowing down.

Don

hansrober

Adventurer
Wow really enjoyed this thread. Post a picture with the bike inside if you have one. I had the same problem looking for a small bike hauler to tow with my jeep. Good Job!

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
So I had some time to play around with the camper today and finally put some color on it. Nothing all that exciting, but it definitely makes a difference, and takes away from the "big white box" look it has/had. Decals like this are not as easy as I thought... I figured I'd get started at 9am and be done in time to go play on the cycle or go shooting by noon... Well, it was 4pm by the time I got done, and it is far from a professional job unfortunately. At least it will match the truck now. I'll get some better pictures next weekend when we're out camping in PA near Allentown. If anyone wants to come join, it's a great campground (Blue Rocks Campground) that is very rustic and with direct access to the AT (which we'll be doing a 6 mile section on Saturday). So far it's jut my family and a couple friends with off-road trailers. Even though it's a campground, the area we're we go is really 4x4 only.

Anyway, on with the pictures:

And a picture of the truck and trailer before the graphics, just for reference.

More pics next weekend.

Don

-

Last edited:

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
Also, at the bottom I'll add a video and additional details of how the cycle goes in. Since I was out playing with it, I figured I check that off of the to-do list too. I've had a few people ask to see how it works.

This is just a picture of the stand, and how if fits in the camper. The bed can still fold down, but it'd be hard for my son to sleep under there with it in, so I have some through mounted bolts that stay in the floor to allow for quick removal and installation.

And here is a quick video of me putting the bike in. The KLR is about 8" longer, but it still fits in there well. It's just a little harder to get off of the bike once it's up in there. The first time I had the KLR in there, I was basically stuck because I didn't take my luggage off first. Stupid mistake. And it's a little trickier getting the KLR in when the ramp is this steep, but still not that bad. You just have to watch your head. :bike_rider:

Thanks for reading.

Don

-

SamM

Adventurer
Hey Don,
That's a great looking trailer you've built. I recently (last year) sold a very similar trailer. It was too big to haul behind my 2-door Jeep JK. After seeing your build, I kinda wish that I would have kept it. Anyway, keep the updates coming. Love your solutions to the problem of making everything fit. Very nice!

SamM

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
Just a couple pics from last weekends camping...

This is why, in my humble opinion, trailers need leveling jacks, and not just stabilizers. Take a look at the difference in the jack extension on the back corners of the trailer. My left tire was about 7 inches off the ground before I shoved the rocks under there.

As luck would have it, the owner of the campground, a Bronco enthusiast, had about 7 other early Broncos out 4-wheeling on the campground property. It was awesome to watch after we got back from our hike on the AT.

The boulder field at the campsite. Great for watching stars and short hikes:

My friend Matt's camper (2012Taco)... Really nice.

Posing:

Does my butt look big?

I have to remember to make my wife walk more often... Lots of good shots of the campers. :sombrero:

Don

-

Last edited:

jwiereng

Could the kitchen be supported by a guy attached to the top of the wall? This may allow you to pop out the kitchen on terrain unsuited to legs.

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
Due to a change in direction, this camper is officially for sale. See the ad in the "For Sale" forum for more details (shortly). Feel free to ask any questions here too.

Don

-

Last edited:

Crusty

fantastic thread; amazing work. Have you had your Yamaha in it? Don't suppose a big ol' BMW 1200 GS Adventure would fit in there, would it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior