Klune V?

postalWagon

Adventurer
Looking for any one with experiance with a Klune.
I am looking at Klune to ad a 4:1 low range to my 2wd jeep. after taking my trusty tape masure to my jeep I found that it would be possable to bolt the klune unit in WITH OUT any drive line changes. the klune unit would make my final gear ratio ~61:1, good enought to push my jeep up and down almost any trail I would go down. This would also help me keep my over all weight down, more room for food(and gear).

I spent last night looking into trying to squeez a t-case under my jeep. It can be done, but it would be ALOT of work. New crossmember, drive shaft, trans-mount and stubing out the non-used out-put.

So to Klune or not to Klune?

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
4 wheel drive will get farther then lower gears any day.

i think that low range will just help you spin the tires that much easier with the torque it'll put out to the rear tires. especially when you try to go up a hill and can't keep your speed and momentum up. it might be better with a locker though.

bfdiesel

Explorer
If you won't need four wheel drive it may work good for you. Lower gears are nice for control on steep terrain and a rear selectable locker would help. It still will not compare to having four wheel drive though.

For 3k you could almost get a 4x4 just for expoing.

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
i've picked up several 4x4's for less then $3000. I'd go that route. they just need some small things fixed. nothing major, the owners were just clueless so i was able to pick them up cheap.

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee- $600
1978 Jeep Wagoneer- $500
1985 Toyota xtra cab- $2500

postalWagon

Adventurer
the over all idea is to be able to keep my trail speed down, without riding my brakes, while still keeping my jeep road worthy and light weight.
as for a locker... going to try and talk my wife in to an OX locker, at some point. my limited slip works fine, for now.

762X39

Explorer
You will find that low gears give you control (at lower speeds) that you don't normally have.If you can put a selectable locker in the rear as well you will get a bit more security and traction. It doesn't sound like you want a hard core trail rig but a bit more control while remaining street friendly and retaining fuel economy with what you have.:coffee:

bluejeep

just a guy
I love the control aspect of my Klune (4/1). But that's only in extreme rock crawling situations. On the trail I use low range from the transfer case. I understand you don't have the transfer case either so.........Not sure what the overall price would be compared to going 4x4, but I know the Klune is not cheap

bob91yj

Resident **************
I also think that you are over engineering an easy and practical fix for what you want. A transfer case is any easy/straightforward fix with an eye towards adding a driven front axle in the future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles