Optima Battery Problems

bfdiesel

Explorer
Checked the burn code on my optima today and it is 3344 so it is a little older than I remembered. I also have a DieHard that I commissioned in 02, but seemed a little weak last couple of times I started the old F100 and it has developed a bulge on one end of it:).

As too the alternator not charging a battery up all the way it is true. I have been checking the voltage of the batteries in all my vehicles once a month for the last year and everytime they need topped off. The vehicle my wife drives has been up to a volt low and my old suburban .3 to .4 volts low. These are usually the worst two because one gets driven around town and I take the other back and forth to work.

OptimaJim

Observer
Jim, I apologize for not responding sooner. Math has never been my strongest suit, so I wanted to double-check my calculations for the electrical demands generated by your starter (you indicated “it pulls 200 amps so at just two starts in a day it has presented a demand of 5 kilowatts to the starting battery.)
In the checking I did, it was suggested that 200 amps seemed like a low number, but using that, 200A x 12v = 2400W. Cranking 10 seconds for each start would equal .00278 hours or .00278 x 2400= 6.67WHr or .00667 kWHr. Multiplying that by two starts would equal 13.34WHr or .01334 kWHr
Even if it took ten seconds of cranking to start your vehicle and the starting current was doubled or tripled, I'm not sure how that equals 5 kilowatts. Likewise, I'd be interested in the math behind the .5 kilowatt demand on your Optima.
I'll be the first to admit Optima doesn't devote nearly as many resources to the off-roading community as they do to other enthusiast groups, but we're hardly a “faceless mega battery empire.” I apologize if you feel like I'm being selective about what I answer, as I am doing my best to address every question you raise. Unfortunately, one of the rules I have to live by in my work, is that I am not allowed to post links to other brands. As you can imagine, that can be a very frustrating limitation, especially when dealing with guys in car audio, who don't think much of our batteries, just because they are made in Mexico, while they swear allegiance to other batteries and have no idea where they are manufactured.
I really do think you and I are on the same page, we're probably just typing around each other. Optima batteries absolutely do not require an external AGM charger. If the charging system in a specific application cannot properly maintain voltage in our battery (or any other brand), supplemental charging may be needed.
Our YellowTop batteries do fine with countless OEM charging systems. However, when our batteries (or anyone else's) are used in deep-cycle applications that significantly discharge the battery, an OEM charging system may not be up to the task of replacing the energy that was used. This holds true for refrigerators in trucks, big stereos in cars and trolling motors on boats.
On our website, we state in at least one location, the following information, “Alternators are NOT chargers. Don't rely on your alternator to do the work of a charger. An alternator is meant to maintain a battery, not charge it.” I understand the difference between maintaining and charging may not always be clear for some folks. That is why I try to use the example of someone who has discharged their battery to the point where they need a jump-start, as that is an experience many folks can relate to. The battery in that example has been deeply-discharged and while it may be possible for the alternator to fully-recharge that battery after the vehicle has been jump-started, the majority of alternators in that situation simply do not have enough time to fully-recover that battery.
That leads to a cycle of dead batteries and jump-starts, until either the battery, alternator or both fail. Fortunately, there is a way to determine if the alternator is properly-maintaining the battery- measuring the voltage level. Sometimes a battery will become deeply-discharged quickly, when someone is using a winch or leaves their headlights on. Other times, a deep discharge will occur more gradually, as a draw like a fridge or car alarm slightly outpaces a vehicle's charging system, gradually discharging the battery over time. In any instance where a battery ends up deeply-discharged, the battery should be fully-charged with a battery charger, not the vehicle's alternator. If we specifically state on our website that “OEM Alternators are not enough to take care of an Optima battery,” please provide me with a link so we can correct that information.
My bosses are aware of this thread and many others, where folks have asked for defect rates and unfortunately, that information is proprietary and simply not shared by anyone in the industry. If other companies or brands did share this information, I'm sure you would've found it by now and posted it here. In terms of hiding anything, we're one of the most-forthcoming companies out there. We have a video tour of our production facility on our website, our warranty terms and conditions are also posted there and easy to find and we use BCI standardized ratings to describe the specifications of all of our batteries.
From everything you've described about your battery, if you returned it to your retailer for warranty service and they fully-recharged it and tested it, they'd probably find nothing wrong with it and couldn't offer you a refund.
I do this job, because I really enjoy the work and enjoy helping others. I didn't ignore the statements you posted by Jerry. In fact, I responded to them directly by pointing out the comments made by Gary Powell. Just as there are people who post about problems they've had with our batteries, there are also folks who post about how well they have worked for them. It has happened in this thread and happened in the thread on Race-Dezert. In the case of Race-Dezert, Gary probably would've preferred to let his competitors continue to believe our batteries were really at fault, when his personal experience and that of his customers suggests most of those who have battery issues really have wiring issues that they blame on their batteries. Gary posted a lot of insightful information in that thread, of which you only quoted a fraction. Folks who have had repeated battery issues might find his posts very informative.
After reading them, did I expect anyone to admit they were probably doing something wrong and thank him for posting that information? Absolutely not. There is probably too much pride involved for that to happen. The fact remains that Gary has been wiring racing vehicles of all kinds for more than 20 years and has never had a premature failure with our batteries in his own vehicles or his customer vehicles, yet other people in that thread had repeated issues in short amounts of time. If our batteries are to blame for the other issues, is Gary that much of an electrical genius or just incredibly lucky?
In TJ's case, he indicated his battery was on a 30-year old charger for about 6 hours. You responded to his post, by posting a link to our site that describes charging information for an alternator, battery charger, cyclic applications, rapid recharge and float charging. Even though there was clearly nothing rapid about TJ's 6-hour charging scenario, you posted the maximum voltage for the rapid recharge rate and did not bother to mention that the maximum 15.6 volts must be regulated. Suggesting that anyone should be able to charge any battery at 15.6 volts for 6 hours with no concern for voltage regulation is simply dangerous.
HenryJ, I did ask our Sales Director who works with NAPA about Eric & Scott Lentz and he wasn't familiar with either.
Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
www.facebook.com/optimabatteries

teotwaki

Excelsior!
In the checking I did, it was suggested that 200 amps seemed like a low number, but using that, 200A x 12v = 2400W. Cranking 10 seconds for each start would equal .00278 hours or .00278 x 2400= 6.67WHr or .00667 kWHr. Multiplying that by two starts would equal 13.34WHr or .01334 kWHr
Even if it took ten seconds of cranking to start your vehicle and the starting current was doubled or tripled, I'm not sure how that equals 5 kilowatts. Likewise, I'd be interested in the math behind the .5 kilowatt demand on your Optima.

Let's go with the multiplying and dividing but we'll ignore the non-quotes attributed to me.

Specifically for the battery I said "The Optima battery presents less than a 0.5 kilowatt demand in one day". Not exactly kWHrs, but okay! I'm happy now that you want to use numbers!

Given that air temperature makes a difference we can take the ridiculously worst case of the Engel running 24 hours a day at 2.5 Amps draw at 12 volts. 24 x 2.5 x 12 = 0.72 kWHrs.

Definitely more than 0.5 kWHrs! But we know better than that, OJ my friend. I've already published the numbers. But, let's say it runs full time for only 9 hours while the truck is parked or 12v x 2.5A x 9hrs = 0.270 kWHrs, definitely demanding less than 0.500 kWHrs.

Better yet, let's try 2.5 amps for only 15 minutes run time every hour in the nine hours that the vehicle is parked, a little closer to previously stated numbers.

So 2.5A x 12v x (0.25x9) hours = 0.0675 kWHrs. So make the leap and see that 0.0675 is way less than 0.500, right?

So if the vehicle is driven 2 hours a day and its alternator can produce at least 100 Amps at 12 volts, or 12vx100Ax2hrs = 2400 kWhrs, why cannot the OEM alternator "maintain" the Optima Yellow Top? In fact, if you go back to post 99 and see my PUBLISHED numbers, the fridge pulled a miniscule 0.044 kWHrs that day. That number is likely to be a bit high because the WattsUp captures the Watt-Hours no matter whether the battery or the alternator + battery is the source.

So is that 0.044kWHrs a huge demand on an Optima Yellow Top???
If the Optima demands a whopping 3 times the load of the starter ( 0.01344kWHrs based on your math) it requires a special session with an AC powered AGM specific battery charger?
Where is the "math" to support that?
Why don't I have to run the Sears DieHard Platinum battery on the AC powered charger?

No pride involved. Just give me the calculations or correct those that I've thrown out here. I'm in a hurry and I'm tired so possibly I've screwed up. In the meantime I'll debunk the other OJ statements later.

Last edited:

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
I have had 4 or 5 dead Optimas in the last 6-7yrs. I will never buy another one of their products.

My 2 cents. :)

OptimaJim

Observer
Jim, I also feel like we are making real progress. In one post, the demand on your starting battery went from more than 10 times the demand on your Optima (5 kilowatts vs. less than .5 kilowatts) to about 1/5th of the demand on your Optima in the more typical scenario (.01334 kWHr vs .0675 kWHr). In your ridiculously worst case, the demand on the Optima would be 59 times greater than the demand on your starting battery (.72 kWHr vs. .01334 kWHr). Even with the data you provided in your published numbers, the demand on your Optima was more than 3 times the demand on your starting battery. So now that it is clear the demand on your Optima can typically be significantly higher than your starting battery, the question becomes why your vehicle's charging system cannot maintain your battery.
If you've previously mentioned the size of your alternator, I apologize for not remembering or seeing it. I reached out to a friend of mine, who works for a well-known, high performance alternator manufacturer and discussed your situation with him. While an OEM alternator may be rated at 100 amps, such alternators typically operate at about half that amount when needed and as my friend indicated to me, output can be as low as 1 amp, if that is all the vehicle needs. He also indicated even heavy-duty alternators will only produce about 2/3 of their rated output, so any alternator producing 100 amps for long periods of time would probably be rated significantly higher than that and have significant demands calling for that much energy.
As I further discussed the data you provided, my friend asked if your batteries were isolated, as he seemed to feel in his experience, isolated batteries generally see a voltage drop of around one volt, while your batteries did not. I did tell him you posted a picture of what appeared to be an isolator switch, but that you also indicated the batteries are connected through a 200-amp relay. He indicated if the batteries are not isolated from each other, the charging system may end up maintaining your starting battery, while the auxiliary battery does not get the current it needs.
HenryJ, as I mentioned previously, I am interested in who on our end might be providing inaccurate information to our distributors or retailers. Unfortunately, the names you provided did not yield any results. I'm sure your friend in Ontario would like to give me an earfull over the phone. However, we have specific channels for communication with our retailers (or former retailers) and I am not allowed to circumvent those channels.
Jim McIlvaine

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
HenryJ, as I mentioned previously, I am interested in who on our end might be providing inaccurate information to our distributors or retailers. Unfortunately, the names you provided did not yield any results. I'm sure your friend in Ontario would like to give me an earfull over the phone. However, we have specific channels for communication with our retailers (or former retailers) and I am not allowed to circumvent those channels.
I did not give you the name or number for the retailer who dropped your batteries. I gave you the name of the salesperson who brought in the Optima rep. as well as delivered the new YellowTop battery from the Mexico plant. It seemed that you wanted to verify my story. Why, I'm not sure? I did give you the tool to do so. My apology if I had the names incorrect. Jim will know as he is my direct contact and handled the problems I had with Optima batteries. We had probably two dozen Optima in the project when these problems started. A long process to finally figure out it was the batteries that were the problem, not our systems. We have had no further problems since changing to different batteries.
I have long since moved on. I gave the Optima the benefit of the doubt and it did not meet expectations. I hate for others to learn the hard way too, hence my tendency to "spread the word".
Best of luck to you in your campaign. It seems you do have job security in the business of putting out the fires.

Last edited:

78Bronco

Explorer
Let's go with the multiplying and dividing but we'll ignore the non-quotes attributed to me.

Specifically for the battery I said "The Optima battery presents less than a 0.5 kilowatt demand in one day". Not exactly kWHrs, but okay! I'm happy now that you want to use numbers!

Given that air temperature makes a difference we can take the ridiculously worst case of the Engel running 24 hours a day at 2.5 Amps draw at 12 volts. 24 x 2.5 x 12 = 0.72 kWHrs.

Definitely more than 0.5 kWHrs! But we know better than that, OJ my friend. I've already published the numbers. But, let's say it runs full time for only 9 hours while the truck is parked or 12v x 2.5A x 9hrs = 0.270 kWHrs, definitely demanding less than 0.500 kWHrs.

Better yet, let's try 2.5 amps for only 15 minutes run time every hour in the nine hours that the vehicle is parked, a little closer to previously stated numbers.

So 2.5A x 12v x (0.25x9) hours = 0.0675 kWHrs. So make the leap and see that 0.0675 is way less than 0.500, right?

So if the vehicle is driven 2 hours a day and its alternator can produce at least 100 Amps at 12 volts, or 12vx100Ax2hrs = 2400 kWhrs, why cannot the OEM alternator "maintain" the Optima Yellow Top? In fact, if you go back to post 99 and see my PUBLISHED numbers, the fridge pulled a miniscule 0.044 kWHrs that day. That number is likely to be a bit high because the WattsUp captures the Watt-Hours no matter whether the battery or the alternator + battery is the source.

So is that 0.044kWHrs a huge demand on an Optima Yellow Top??

If the Optima demands a whopping 3 times the load of the starter ( 0.01344kWHrs based on your math) it requires a special session with an AC powered AGM specific battery charger?
Where is the "math" to support that?
Why don't I have to run the Sears DieHard Platinum battery on the AC powered charger?

No pride involved. Just give me the calculations or correct those that I've thrown out here. I'm in a hurry and I'm tired so possibly I've screwed up. In the meantime I'll debunk the other OJ statements later.

OWNED

Why spend 3x on a battery that does nothing more for you. I have never belived the optimal hype.

OptimaJim

Observer
HenryJ, I do appreciate the clarification on Jim. I did call the number you provided and they gave me Jim's direct number, which I have forwarded internally. It's not a matter of verifying your story, but tracking down people on our end, who may have been providing inaccurate information.
Jim McIlvaine

RusherRacing

Adventurer
ok my Optima yellow top was dead when I went to move my car this weekend. No fault to the battery, I normally disconnect it in the winter this time I did not, car doesn't get driven much...
Anyway I seen some talk about charging and didn't want to read the whole 15pages of BS...

Is my regular box charger 2amp - 20amp - 50amp boost charger fine to use???

teotwaki

Excelsior!
ok my Optima yellow top was dead when I went to move my car this weekend. No fault to the battery, I normally disconnect it in the winter this time I did not, car doesn't get driven much...
Anyway I seen some talk about charging and didn't want to read the whole 15pages of BS...

No, if it is not AGM specific

bfdiesel

Explorer

yes

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
If your rig eats Optima batteries then it will eat what ever battery you put in it. A Duralast lasted 20 months in my E350. They would not replace it because I was not the original owner. My new Diehard AGM lasted 6 months brfore it left me deeply discharged. If I get 21months out of an Optima then I'd be happy. Fiqure out why your junk eats batteries and move on. I know why mine does and my fix is to buy a new battery a little more often or keep up with the warrenty paperwork. Batteries are allways going to be a maintnece item so expecting one to last forever is crazy.

It seems like you read between the lines to poke holes in what Optma Jim is saying but if you read between the lines for the good stuff then you will find plenty of spot on advise. He noted that there are a lot of batteries returned that have nothing wrong with them other than a deep discharge. That is so true and is why Autozone sells used batteries. They pick the good ones out and sell them cheap. For 20 years I never bought a new battery. I'd go behind service stations to their used battery pile and pick up batteries that still read 11.5v or higher. Charge it overnight and use it sometimes for years. I allways had a few spares. I just got four "bad" gel batteries that I picked up from work last week made in 2010 and 2011. I'm betting I find 1 or 2 that are still good and one will become my new house battery. Battery one is on the charger. Wish me luck.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier