Thread: Optima Battery Problems

  1. #251
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    6,105

    Default Optima is dead.

    dead cell after only 5 months

    Optima-1.jpg

    The dealer that I bought it through told me that the Optima distributor would fight against replacing it. He said they had a "huge" charger that dumped a "ton" of amps into batteries to bring them alive long enough to kick them back to the customer. He showed me half a dozen batteries that customers had brought back more than once.
    Last edited by teotwaki; 04-28-2012 at 05:20 AM.
    Jim
    4x4 Tourist


    Trip reports are on my Blog: "Sun To The North"

    Two Favorite Expo Quotes: "A bad day on the trail is better than a good day in the city" & "Bad days make for GREAT stories!"

  2. #252
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    939
    That's funny.... The name on the receipt says Jim... Lol
    J.W.
    Build thread http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...e-build-thread

    95 Monty LS with 33 10.50 KM2s, air locker, winch, snorkel, sliders, bottle opener, and stuff...-EMT,Auto Tech, US ARMY Survival and land navigation specialist, US ARMY VETERAN

  3. #253
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    6,105
    Quote Originally Posted by scrubber3 View Post
    That's funny.... The name on the receipt says Jim... Lol
    I was sorely tempted to ask them to have it say "Optima Jim" just for a laugh but some people would excessively fuss over it
    Jim
    4x4 Tourist


    Trip reports are on my Blog: "Sun To The North"

    Two Favorite Expo Quotes: "A bad day on the trail is better than a good day in the city" & "Bad days make for GREAT stories!"

  4. #254
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    El Paso,Texas
    Posts
    751
    I just had my Blue top Gp 31 battery replaced. It took a couple of trips to interstate and I left it for five days. They finally gave me a new one. I could hear them in the back load testing the battery and saying it still would not pass damn we have to give him a new one.

    If I had to do it again I would buy the battery from Battery Plus they do not play those games.
    Mike El Paso,TX
    Gentleman Adventure
    "Ich dien"

    1985 FJ-60
    1977 FJ-40
    M416
    2005 Ural Gear Up
    2013 Porsche Cayenne 6spd

    Travel Blog www.badlandsexpeditions.wordpress.com

    http://elpasooverlandgroup.wordpress.com

    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. George Orwell

  5. #255
    Autozone pulled that trick with me after I bought a new Redtop for the Jeep. I took it back three times until it exploded on their charger and caught fire

    "Guess we'll replace that now..." The guy actually said that, with the fire extinguisher still in his hand.


    Quote Originally Posted by teotwaki View Post
    dead cell after only 5 months

    Optima-1.jpg

    The dealer that I bought it through told me that the Optima distributor would fight against replacing it. He said they had a "huge" charger that dumped a "ton" of amps into batteries to bring them alive long enough to kick them back to the customer. He showed me half a dozen batteries that customers had brought back more than once.

  6. #256
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Hog Waller, GA
    Posts
    11,616
    Quote Originally Posted by teotwaki View Post
    dead cell after only 5 months

    Optima-1.jpg

    The dealer that I bought it through told me that the Optima distributor would fight against replacing it. He said they had a "huge" charger that dumped a "ton" of amps into batteries to bring them alive long enough to kick them back to the customer. He showed me half a dozen batteries that customers had brought back more than once.
    Funny, I have an Optima charger. It charges at 12 amps when a battery is severely discharged.
    Your dealer is giving you bad intel.
    Safety fast,
    Bill

    Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes.
    - Jim Carrey

    KM4EIZ

  7. #257
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    6,105
    Quote Originally Posted by Binksman View Post
    Autozone pulled that trick with me after I bought a new Redtop for the Jeep. I took it back three times until it exploded on their charger and caught fire

    "Guess we'll replace that now..." The guy actually said that, with the fire extinguisher still in his hand.
    Let me clarify: Autozone merely provided a free battery test with a printout. They were not the dealer and were very kind when you consider that I did not buy the battery from them nor did I buy a replacement battery from them.
    Jim
    4x4 Tourist


    Trip reports are on my Blog: "Sun To The North"

    Two Favorite Expo Quotes: "A bad day on the trail is better than a good day in the city" & "Bad days make for GREAT stories!"

  8. #258
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    6,105
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
    Funny, I have an Optima charger. It charges at 12 amps when a battery is severely discharged.
    Your dealer is giving you bad intel.
    Hilldweller my dear friend, I don't know how you jumped to that conclusion about the dealer. High output alternators can dump 150 Amps into a battery so 12 amps ain't much. I've worked with industrial grade battery chargers that can throw out 2000 Amps. The dealer that I bought from is pretty knowledgeable and he got me the new battery. His intel was spot on about how the Optima distributor would react and perform some due diligence of re-testing the battery for the 3rd time.

    I will ask only half jokingly why in the world you bought an Optima brand charger unless it was on sale or a gift. The Optima website price is just a penny shy of $200 so did Optima Jim give it to you for your birthday or are you a charger geek? Feel free to give me a hard time in fun but nothing personal from me. I just don't know why you'd actually buy one of those things when you can get twice the amps for half the price: http://www.amazon.com/Decker-Battery...71488&sr=1-104

    Seriously, if a $170 battery requires a $200 charger then I would rather buy a CTEK DC-DC charger (previously discussed) and get the Optima battery properly charged right in the car.
    Jim
    4x4 Tourist


    Trip reports are on my Blog: "Sun To The North"

    Two Favorite Expo Quotes: "A bad day on the trail is better than a good day in the city" & "Bad days make for GREAT stories!"

  9. #259
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Hog Waller, GA
    Posts
    11,616
    Quote Originally Posted by teotwaki View Post
    Hilldweller my dear friend, I don't know how you jumped to that conclusion about the dealer. High output alternators can dump 150 Amps into a battery so 12 amps ain't much. I've worked with industrial grade battery chargers that can throw out 2000 Amps. The dealer that I bought from is pretty knowledgeable and he got me the new battery. His intel was spot on about how the Optima distributor would react and perform some due diligence of re-testing the battery for the 3rd time.
    Right.
    The high output chargers shouldn't be used on the battery --- the fire you talked about would be the common result.

    Yeah. Electronics geek. I have 4 chargers. Lots of meters. Access to lots more meters. Big meters.
    Safety fast,
    Bill

    Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes.
    - Jim Carrey

    KM4EIZ

  10. #260
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    6,105
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
    Right.
    The high output chargers shouldn't be used on the battery --- the fire you talked about would be the common result.

    Yeah. Electronics geek. I have 4 chargers. Lots of meters. Access to lots more meters. Big meters.
    LOL! I knew it because it takes a geek to know a geek.

    I don't recall mentioning a fire but the more interesting chargers have temperature sensors to place on the batteries. The net is full of images of batteries that explode. Apparently back in 1994 there were a couple thousand folks injured by acid from overcharging batteries. i think I saw that in a Wiki post on batteries.
    Jim
    4x4 Tourist


    Trip reports are on my Blog: "Sun To The North"

    Two Favorite Expo Quotes: "A bad day on the trail is better than a good day in the city" & "Bad days make for GREAT stories!"

Page 26 of 43 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •