Prepping a camel trophy defender 110 for around the world...

TomOwen

Observer
Congratulations and Best Wishes!!

Shayne,

Big congratulations to you both!! What a honeymoon :) Best wishes and enjoy yor trip! Hope to see you both if you make it through Nor-Cal!

Cheers,

Tom Owen

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Yes the websites are not up and running yet...trying to decide on the best hosting forum so that we are not relying on someone else to update them...should be done in the next day or 2..in the interim we are on young rovers on facebook as it is very easy to update whenever we get signal...its funny how we automatically assume that everywhere is up to speed with our "need" to be connected 24/7... out here in the west not everyone sees the need for all the connectivity that us city slickers assume we need... I long for that simpler life where we dont "have to" be coonected all the time.. And I don't think I will ever "get out " of the industry...its in my blood and I still have a passion for what I do best..I have released the reins to someone else and now I consider myself to be a "product evaluation test personnell"...LOL..The new manager/owner (Manny) is going to concentrate a bit more on overlanding preparation and merchandising... check out our e-bay site under the name of.. the-rover-shop and you will see what I mean.. we are now distributors for many different excellent products and working on many more...including bushcables and a couple of different roof top tents not currently available through any one else.. On the side of my camel you see a sticker for OVS..this is the new direction we are heading called Overland Vehicle Services...many new products coming out of Venezuela as well..
e are currently in Trinidad Colorado after croosing the Continental Divide at Cottonwood pass and then visiting St Elmo and then getting as far as possible up Tin Cup pass which was still closed...awesome pics coming soon...

The Rover Shop

Explorer
I think we decided to come back down this way to tweek some designs on the truck and head down to Mexico and then up through Baja up the west side all the way to Alaska and through Canada...but after being back down south here we have decided its just too stinking hot to go further south so we will now head back up the east coast and cross the USA about midway.. may even take the Trans-American Trail to oregon and up...Overland expo was a shakedown cruise for Sandra and I and she did really well...really happy with the way she performed... (and the truck performed well too.:)))had to come back to change married names etc and finalise some business shtuff.... Think of it as a short vacation stopover from our vacation life...

The Rover Shop

Explorer
So I ripped the truck apart to make the more constant accessed stuff easier to access...such as the pantry and cookware stuff and hook up a system for the larger propane tank.. I wanted a sliding shelf/tray but all the prices I got for sliders was too short or too expensive...so I went to hame depot and bought a slab of pineboard about the right size and installed it with aluminum angle pices to guide it straight..here is the guides with a stop at the rear so that when you slide it back the tray stops and the cases can be pushed back all the way..
june-17-029-L.jpg

june-17-027-L.jpg

a larger piece of angle was installed on the back of the sliding tray to act as a back stop and from underneath it catches on this stop and hooks in to stop the tray from falling down..
june-17-031-L.jpg

june-17-030-L.jpg

this is the underneath of the tray and the backstop angle piece that catches on the "hook/stop"
june-17-032-L.jpg

I initially installed some of the furniture teflon sliders to the underneath to allow the tray to slide on the carpet but found they were getting caught on the leading edge of the underneath so I looked around home depot and found a garage door draft strip that was made out of hard plastic and a length of 10 feet was only $8.. cut the rubber piece off it and cut 2 strips of it and secured to underneath and it slides great even with a heavy load on it..
june-17-033-L.jpg

june-17-034-L.jpg

june-17-035-L.jpg

Last edited:

The Rover Shop

Explorer
So I ripped the truck apart to make the more constant accessed stuff easier to access...such as the pantry and cookware stuff and hook up a system for the larger propane tank.. I wanted a sliding shelf/tray but all the prices I got for sliders was too short or too expensive...so I went to hame depot and bought a slab of pineboard about the right size and installed it with aluminum angle pices to guide it straight..here is the guides with a stop at the rear so that when you slide it back the tray stops and the cases can be pushed back all the way..
View attachment 106272

View attachment 106273

alrger pice of angle was installed on the back of the sliding tray to act as a back stop and from underneath it catches on this stop and hooks in to stop the tray from falling down..
View attachment 106274

View attachment 106275

this is the underneath of the tray and the backstop angle piece that catches on the "hook/stop"
View attachment 106276

I initially installed some of the furniture teflon sliders to the underneath to allow the tray to slide on the carpet but found they were getting caught on the leading edge of the underneath so I looked around home depot and found a garage door draft strip that was made out of hard plastic and a length of 10 feet was only $8.. cut the rubber piece off it and cut 2 strips of it and secured to underneath and it slides great even with a heavy load on it..
View attachment 106277

View attachment 106278

View attachment 106280

The Rover Shop

Explorer
So in the end I lost this much height..
june-17-036-L.jpg

this is my tool tray which is rather heavy and with the tray fully extended and the underneath catch/stop engaged it holds very well and slides rather effortlessly..
june-17-037-L.jpg
and when fully closed I installed this pin which locks it in place and stops from sliding in or out..
june-17-038-L.jpg
the plastic tubs we were using for the pantry etc were a little inefficient as far as space utilisation was concerned so I measured up some aluminum boxes and am having those made to fully use the available space..

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
I am confused what keeps the tray from tipping... I have wanted to do a similar set-up, but the can not figure out the holding the tray in place when extended.

The Rover Shop

Explorer
When the tray is fully extended the back aluminum angle piece catches under the lip of the auminum strip you see screwed to the floor..I used 2 pieces of aluminum strip screwed to the floor, the lower pice is set back as kinda like a spacer to allow the upper piece to to sit up off the floor and allow the back aluminum angle to catch underneath it.. or.. pic 5 catches underneath pic 4 when fully drawn out...pic 5 aluminum angle actually skims along the floor and slides right underneath pic4 acting as a positive stop and stops the tray from tipping forward.. I hope this helps..I can take pics of it engaged if needed... after all of it was done I stained and lacquered the tray to make it look pretty..LOL..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles