Im not one to buy into informercials, buuut ....

FLYFISHEXPERT

LivingOverland.com
I have not tried them, but I was watching Amaricas Test Kitchen on PBS this weekend and they were testing eco-friendly non-stick pans. Their general conclusion was give them a couple of years for the technology to mature before you go out and purhcase one.

If you are looking for a non-stick for camping GSI and MSR make good products or you could always make a trip to Bed Bath and Beyond and pick up one of the inexpensive pans they sell there. Cast iron is always an option too, but the small burner size on most stoves makes it hard to cook with cast.

Wyowanderer

Explorer
I have not tried them, but I was watching Amaricas Test Kitchen on PBS this weekend and they were testing eco-friendly non-stick pans. Their general conclusion was give them a couple of years for the technology to mature before you go out and purhcase one.

If you are looking for a non-stick for camping GSI and MSR make good products or you could always make a trip to Bed Bath and Beyond and pick up one of the inexpensive pans they sell there. Cast iron is always an option too, but the small burner size on most stoves makes it hard to cook with cast.
Ditto. An inexpensive pan, even from Wally world, is an excellent choice for camping; you can get one with a lid, the right size, and when you ruin it you're not afraid to throw it out and start over. I love cast as well for home, but I prefer my cheap Teflon pan for the camp.

Haven't tried the pan you linked. I guess I'm not an early adopter. :sombrero:

Honu

lost on the mainland
America test kitchen for regular non stick said the TFal ones think the pro series about $30 were the best
Target sells them :)

4xdog

Explorer
Target had OrGreenic pans on the rack the other day. They're one of several non-polytetrafluoroethylene (Teflon) options they had. Stop by your local target and take a look before going for the internet version.

Don

BIGGUY

Adventurer
A few years ago I was given two non-stick pots that had a shiny coating like those in the link, only it was gray not green. On the box it was advertised as "A simply amazing non-stick pot" and "Dishwasher safe!!" The bigger one had holes in one side of the lid so that you could cook pasta, put the lid on and with a 1/4 turn lock it in place, then drain the pasta. The smaller pot was just the right size to make sauce for the amount of pasta in the bigger pot. The non-stick coating was really good and stuff would just slide right out of the pan which then looked wet but clean. I used them both several times. One day I used them and put them in the dishwasher. When it was done I pulled them out. The inside of the pan was the shiniest silver you could imagine. Down on the screen over the drain were two sheets of non-stick material. The coating had washed right out of the pan. They looked like two gray crepes. I really look over any pans of this type now.

One pan that I've had good luck with and have had for years is made by Mirro. It is approx 12" around at the top and probably 2-3" smaller at the bottom and about 4" deep. It looks sort of like a wok. It has a non-stick coating that is kind of rough looking versus shiny. The handle is metal covered with wood and it has a round eye for hanging at the end. I was running late for a camping trip and needed a pan so I grabbed this one at the grocery store for like $10 several years ago. It worked great, so great that I have 4 of them for home and camp. The coating has been really good and I even have one that the coating has been scratched up and it still doesn't stick. It also hasn't come off in the dishwasher either.

I have this pan ( the pan the original poster mentioned) Only cooked on it for about two weeks but is is exactly as advertised and nothing sticks to it. You actually season it first before use for the first time and only then (read directions). You simply wipe it with a paper town when finished cooking. It is pretty awesome but only time will tell of its durability. I know that I will be taking mine with me on the road.

kai38

Explorer
I also bought the Green pan, great for making fried eggs. Kids tested it out by burning a slice of cheese in middle of the pan and it wiped right out.
Only thing I don't like about it, its not very deep and splatters oil out of the pan I don't use much when cooking but pan is so slippery it seems to splatter more then others.
Worth the 19.99 for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior