Trying to decide

Elseanno

if I'm gonna build.

I'm a noob around here. I have bad shoulders (sometimes can barely use right arm, both hurt 24/7) that exclude me from sleeping on the ground and a wife that is pretty iffy on tent camping in general. No more motorcycle camping for me, just motels.

We want to travel on highway, secondary roads, country roads and forest service roads. Won't be 4 wheeling/rock crawling. Towing with an old Toyota truck. (22re)

So, I'm thinking I want a smallish trailer for camping. Something along the lines of a Heilite or maybe the Compact Camping Concepts explorer with a M.O.A.B.

The main questions I'm trying to work out:

• Buy a trailer to build on or have a buddy weld one up. Like harbor freight/craigslist special.
  • What kind of suspension? Will it even matter for my needs? Leaf, torsion, Timbren axleless?
  • If I were to make something kind of like a Heilite, 3/4 plywood or maybe a box of steel studs skinned by thinner plywood?

I've been surfing here for a while but haven't been able to figure out these items, particularly 2 & 3.

Thanks guys!

Elseanno

Pikeman

Adventurer
One of the key factors to determine build materials is budget for the build. So the first thing is determine a realistic budget for your trailer. Plan out how you will use the trailer and what you need to have (luxury items like stove, etc.) Then look at cost of your different options. You might even be able to find a M416, M100 or CDN101 that needs a little work that would fit in your budget and be a good starting point. Leaf springs are fairly inexpensive and would most likely meet your needs. Personally I would not use a torsion axle as overtime going on washboard roads it will eventually come apart from what I have read and heard.

If you were to make a frame I would go metal structure with either thin plywood or sheet metal to skin it with. Hopefully this helps a little.

bob

Adventurer
I would agree with Pikeman's post other than the torsion axle. That is a total falsehood. Torsion Axles by Alko (German made) Dexter TorFlex (American made) are going on all military trailers, and have been used for years on vehicles in Afganistan and Iraq. The story that over washboard roads that they come apart is just not true. The military actually tests them by dropping 5500 pound trailers from 20-30 foot in the air. Now I will not say that it has not happened, everything/anything can fail, but as describe it is not possible according to people very high up in the Dexter company. I personally have used them off an on for over 25 years and have never had one fail, other than from impact. Any axle will fail under those circumstances.

Torsion axles have been around for many years, on high end RV trailers (Air Stream, Argosy, Holiday Rambler). Understand that they are very expensive compared to springs and trailing arm suspensions. I am not talking retail prices chareged by some, but actual cost to produce. They are considered high end equipment and the most relieable by the U.S. military. The military is actually testing a new torsion axle with air bags. Unfortunately they are not making them for our size of trailers. I am still working on that.

Pikeman

Adventurer
bob- I have an entire fleet of military trailers sitting behind my office, you are correct that military is going that route on their M1100 series light duty trailers for the HMMWV. Anything larger than the 3/4 and 1 ton trailers they are still all leaf sprung. I will also agree that they are on higher end RV trailers but again those are designed for 99% on highway use and will provide a very smooth ride compared to leaf versions. I like torsion axles and in particular Dexter axles and just picked up my new Dexter straight axle last night.

bob

Adventurer
All of the military trailers will eventually be torsion is what I am being told by Dexter. I have a friend that is the National Sales Manager. He states they have been testing at Aberdeen every level and both Dexter and Alko have passed all hurdles. The strength of the axle built into the trailer adds more overall strength to the trailers. I do know that most will use only single axle with some dual, but will not use them on anything requiring a triple axle. Too much base and rigidity is my guess and could break frames or pop tires. I built several with tri axles back in the late 80's. Have not heard of any problems. I did build a 35 foot 12 foot tall dual axle trailer for a BMX show system. They actually lost a rear wheel and did not even know it. Due to the independence of the axles the other three wheels carried the trailer with no ill affects. They pulled it over 100 miles that way.

I will try to get the testing info on the new axles from Phil. I know that they have the new one with air bags, but is to large for our use, 5500 is the smallest they are making them currently.

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
The story that over washboard roads that they come apart is just not true.

Actually it is true, we have first hand experience with failures in Baja with both Dexter and Hayes torsion axle arms separating from the beams. Washboard roads as you would find in Baja with corrugated spacing of 8-12" and depths of 3-4" take their toll on equipment.

In our experience, torsion axles are fine for highway, graded forest roads and crawling. For washboard, trailing arm and shocks or leaf springs and shocks are best. Torsion axles are not bad, just not suitable for long term washboard usage. We build specialty trailers for the military and we use a torsion arm axle variant. It suits the application because it is a low speed and static weight application.

As in any case it is important to match the suspension to the application, much in the same way one does for a vehicle.
Build your trailer with the suspension that best matches how you plan to use it and your budget. Be diligent about hub and bearing maintenance and it will give you years of service.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
As Mario mentioned, use shocks on the trailer. Especially with a leaf spring style set up.

I have an M416 I converted to tow behind my Jeeps. It has an RTT, and as of now, everything rides inside containers loose in the tub.

I did a spring over on the tailer, to match the ride height of my Jeeps, and run a larger tire (that matches my Jeep)

First run was a hunting trip, on forest service roads. Had no shocks, and the trailer (and it's contents) took a beating on the washboard!

After installing new shocks, I have ran the same roads. Actually made it to camp without turning over the water jugs! :coffeedrink:

As far as sleeping on the ground, I have a hard time with that also. (bad back and hips)

I love my RTT (roof top tent) It takes only minutes to set up, keeps you off the ground, and is a nice, flat, comfortable sleeping area.

I did find the stock mattress to be a bit thin for me, and added a self inflating sleeping pad under it. Problem solved,

ranewman

Observer
I am also a noob here, and this is what I have started with. Now that winter is setting, I'll put here in the shop and see how bad I can screw it up. Plans are for power (batt and solar), hot water,kitchen, and some other goodies. My tent is the ARB version, and "Emma" handles the trailer just fine. Will keep you all posted..good and bad.

Elseanno

Thanks for the info so far.

The question about budget is a good one. Less is more. Not sure how much, but cheap.

I also want low weight. Like less than 1k lbs.

Thanks again guys, I find your builds awesome!

Rezarf <><

Explorer
To the original post. I would think a half rack in the back of your pickup with a roof top tent (RTT) would give you all the benefits of not sleeping on the ground, and storing your stuff underneath it in the bed. The 22re would get taxed pretty quick even with an ultra light trailer setup. Search around for BoxRockets setup for an example.

bob

Adventurer
I have asked to see pictures of these failures, I have heard of them failing, over and over on this portal and from AT, but Dexter says they have no record of them failing, nor record of them being replaced or refunds being issued on them. Anyone having photos, please post so I can pursues this farther with Dexter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles