Full size truck aftermarket or custom front bumpers.. post pics

homemade

Adventurer
Homemade, I have a TJM on my F350. It's a powder coat version rather than polished aluminum. If you'd like details or pics, then pm me. I thought TJM quite selling their stuff in the USA, but I also heard rumor they were going to start sales here again soon. They make some great stuff.

Thank you,

Slee has a couple left.
I'm good with how it looks from the pictures on their web site, one of which is shown in the linked post.
I e-mailed Slee with questions but I'm still not clear on:
is it a easy swap with the stock bumper or does it need much frame drilling or other modification
I see openings in the bumper with tow shackles exposed, are they the stock shackles in the stock location?

The main thing I want it for is to be able to take a moderate speed hit on a deer and not disable the truck. I've had a few close calls on the way to work recently and when on vacation would like to avoid an early end to my travels because of deer. I would guess that for bigger stuff like elk nothing much is going to help.

My 6.0 is having all of the usual 6.0 issues dealt with at this time so I'll see how that work turns out before buying a bumper, should know by end of next week.

sniderexciderr

Observer
generally how thick is the steel used on a winch bumper? i have started to plan out mine but wasn't sure. i want it to be strong but would like to keep the weight down.

bjowett

Adventurer
I believe it bolts right on to the stock frame horns with 8 bolts, no drilling. The stock hook/shackles sit in the middle of the openings.

herm

Adventurer
aluminis, have you installed bumpers on any 1/2 ton GMC trucks? I find a lot of the manufactures do not build a version for them, only the 1/2 ton chevy.

brussum

Adventurer
Thank you,

Slee has a couple left.
I'm good with how it looks from the pictures on their web site, one of which is shown in the linked post.
I e-mailed Slee with questions but I'm still not clear on:
is it a easy swap with the stock bumper or does it need much frame drilling or other modification
I see openings in the bumper with tow shackles exposed, are they the stock shackles in the stock location?

The main thing I want it for is to be able to take a moderate speed hit on a deer and not disable the truck. I've had a few close calls on the way to work recently and when on vacation would like to avoid an early end to my travels because of deer. I would guess that for bigger stuff like elk nothing much is going to help.

My 6.0 is having all of the usual 6.0 issues dealt with at this time so I'll see how that work turns out before buying a bumper, should know by end of next week.

Mine was a direct bolt on replacement - no drilling required. The only issue was the installer needed to move the intercooler (IIRC) slightly to accommodate the 12k lbs winch. The tow shackles on mine are the OEM ones - they simple bolted in place.

Other slight issue was the big steel bar mounted low behind the factory bumper. I guess that's there to keep the truck from driving up the backside of most passenger cars in an accident. I had to take it to a welding shop to have it cut off.

I also bought a set of small driving lights that fit in the narrow space between the bumper and lower cross-bar (where the big lights mount). They're wired to the factory auxiliary light switch.

I've had mine mounted for almost ten years and it's held up really well. I wouldn't worry one bit about surviving a deer. It would destroy the animal without damage to the truck. I'm more worried about moose in my neighborhood.

homemade

Adventurer
Other slight issue was the big steel bar mounted low behind the factory bumper. I guess that's there to keep the truck from driving up the backside of most passenger cars in an accident. I had to take it to a welding shop to have it cut off.

Was this done for cosmetics or was it necessary to remove the bar for bumper installation?

I also bought a set of small driving lights that fit in the narrow space between the bumper and lower cross-bar (where the big lights mount). They're wired to the factory auxiliary light switch.

I was planning to do something similar. The stock fog lights are of no noticeable benefit in any conditions that I have encountered.

Thanks for all of the helpful information!

brussum

Adventurer
The bar needed to come off since it hung down about six inches lower than the bottom of the new bumper. Normally, it would have been concealed by the stock bumper and the plastic air dam underneath. Since the TJM has a better approach angle, it exposes all kinds of things to view. That bar was one heavy piece of steel, too. I'm not even sure if the newer SDs have them, but I assume so.

Those lights are a joke. Of course, so are the headlights on my truck. I'd be better off hanging a Surefire flashlight out the window.

lllateralus

Observer
Since starting this thread, I came across this Fabtech piece on craigslist and took it home for only a hundred bucks, so what the heck. Later, I can swap it out for a complete bumper if I chose.
But for now, its solid, pretty heavy to protect my pristine original front bumper, looks decent, has tabs for 3 lights, (need another KC Daylighter) and was cheap.
Its bolted directly to the frame at 4 points with grade 8 bolts, so it is not touching nor connected to the bumper itself in any way. (ONLY the frame)
The "Fabtech" skid plate can be unbolted, so i'll probably swap it for a solid piece of steel. I'm not one for free advertising.

2011-12-19131546.jpg

Texan1983

Adventurer
ive wondered the same thing about the transformer. still kinda pricey though. think i am going to have something built similar but change what i don't like...

nick325i

Adventurer
Here is my Ranch Hand Bull Nose. It's sturdy but not as heavy as you would think. I've also got a couple Hella offroads lights too.

Sorry for the bad photo. When I get some time I'll take some photos with my good camera.

IMAG0024.jpg

HARDTRAILZ

Certified
Not a true full-size, but doesnt fit many places and thought it may give some ideas.

My MDB Fabrication bumper on my Trailblazer. Currently only doing Trailblazer stuff, but great products. Luckily he is nearby and I can help build bumpers and thus be the tester for some different aspects of the builds.

Here is the bumper to fit with my 3 inch body lift. Receiver mount and shackle mounts. The shackle mounts are solid bar stack 6 inches long and fully welded. The Receiver mount is a production piece mounted to a solid plate spanning the frame, then additionally welded to angled plates to a lower plate spanning the bottom of the frame. Plates also have some additonal T-pieces welded on to avoid the plates twisting when a winch is used in the front hitch mount.

bump1.jpg

bump4.jpg

You can see here how we kept everything as tight as possible for approach angle.
bump6.jpg

Needed for stuff like this...previous bumper shown, but same base design
DSC_2628.jpg

Decided I wanted some lights up frontand little bit of depth to the bumper so he bent and welded up this tube for me
2011-07-24_15-30-24_247.jpg

Here it is with the lights added
100MEDIA36IMAG0150.jpg

Here it is with the lights and winch on a hand fabbed winch mount by MDB
5winch.jpg

sunset.jpg

Here it is with the PIAA's and the winch on an adventure in GWNF
IMAG0724.jpg

DSC01460.jpg

37.jpg

Got done with another build and decided to add some headlight protection and overall stability to the bumper. Plus play with the tube bender some...
bumper-1.jpg

Here is the final product back from powdercoat...Notice how you can still see all lights with the tube placement
b10.jpg

b11.jpg

b13.jpg

b7.jpg

b4.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior