Emaergency Survival Kit; Hoping For Your Comments

Adventurer
Emergency

Hi All,
I have decided to get serious about my emergency survival capability. Here is a list of items I imagine I would need for a good survival capability. However, I have never been actually faced with a survival situation so I feel unqualified to imagine all possible survival circumstances. I'm looking for your comments and ideas. You guys have always good suggestions.

The scenario I am planning for is for 3 days in the survival mode. My primary tools for getting saved are my cell phone and my Personal Location Beacon (PLB). I would plan to stay with the vehicle since the PLB reports my GPS location when I activate it. That will be the location that Search and Rescue would expect to find me. So, it seems prudent to stay put if at all possible. But, I can imagine a situation where I must walk out. So, this cannot be ignored.

Most of my trekking is in desert areas. However, I don't want to leave out the possibility of being stranded in forested areas which I have quite available to me. Don't spend too much time thinking about recovery gear. I have this pretty well covered.

Some very practical considerations will drive my decisions. My vehicle is small – a very capable, well equipped Jeep Wrangler. This Emergency Survival Kit will be in the vehicle permanently. Depending on the nature of a trip I may move things around a bit to accommodate additional things such as camping equipment but all items in the kit will be considered permanent. Thus, size and packability is important. As you can see from my list, most items are already in my Jeep. All emergency items should be as small as possible. Typically, I will use backpacking gear where possible and practical. As I give further thought to the kit and consider your suggestions I may cut items out or add. Mostly these will be comfort items. But, some comfort is not a bad idea as long as the space cost is not too great.

Food is the biggest mystery right now. I am considering MRE's but I don't know much about them. I am researching the possibilities. No decisions have been made. Your input here will be most appreciated. Do consider the shelf life of whatever you suggest. Cost is not a factor since the quantities will be small. I do realize that if I choose MRE's, the items that consist of cooking capabilities will have to change and this may be very good from a space point of view.

So, please check out my list and give me your best ideas.

Thanks Very Much. I do hope I do not have to use your ideas in a real survival. I don't consider survival to be a fun thing.

Sparky

View attachment EMERGENCY SURVIVAL KIT.docView attachment EMERGENCY SURVIVAL KIT.doc

Last edited:

postalWagon

Adventurer
short list of ideas to look into:
Mainstay Emergency rations (they come in 1600, 2400 and 3600 cal packs) they are light and compact AND cheaper then MREs w/longer shelf life
close range signaling device, ie: space blanket, mirror, hand flares or shell type, ect...
a compact .22lr rifle or large pistol (think Ruger 10/22 w/folding stock or S&W 317 kit gun or M6 Scout or Ruger MKI/II/III)
light bag to carry stuff if you do walk out
NEVER TRAVEL ALONE, take a buddy. even if I am the only rig I have someone in the seat next too me. (have some stuff to help them too)

pm me i'll talk your ear of on this topic :)

Last edited:

wagoneercraig

Observer
My minimalist kit includes . Water , food , paper towels , hockey tape ,hydrogen peroxide , benidryle "Bee stings ", large blanket and a knife . Paper towels covers toiletry needs and small and large gauze for wounds . And the tape for everything for cuts to full on leg splints . Oh and i forgot , Bic lighter . This time of year if your hurt and need to stay stationary? you can cover with a blanket and start a fire with the lighter and paper towels

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I looked over your list and here are some thoughts...
you need to pack up the emerg gear in a "ditch bag", something you can grab quickly from behind the passenger seat if the vehicle catches fire, starts to roll, gets stuck in a wash with a flash flood coming or such.
This bag has the important stuff you would need if hiking/stranded without your rig.

Some things I would have in this bag:
a couple of 1 liter water bottles, I like the Dasani as the plastic seems thicker
5 contractor garbage bags 0.3ml, these are very thick and work as a poncho, ground cover, thermal bag, signal and such (you can get them in colors)
fire starting method in a wide range of types
sierra cup & esbit tablet stove (the fuel last forever)
tea/coffee packets
Adventure Medical Kits pocket survival kit (has a ton of great stuff in it, cheap for what you get)
Fixed blade knife & leatherman style multitool
A bunch of 550 paracord, this stuff is cheap, light and so useful it is crazy
leather work gloves
deck of playing cards/bible/waterproof notepad & pencil/pen...there is a mental side of things that folks don't consider enough
and add in some of the stuff mentioned by others above

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Several years ago I did a solo sea kayak trip along the entire coast of Baja. 96 days. Solo. My survival kit, or ditch bag, was contained in a tiny four liter dry bag stashed behind my kayak seat. One day, I nearly needed to use it, and couldn't quite remember what was in it.

So, my odd advice is this: What ever you put in your kit, make it a habit to pull it out, unpack it, sort through it, take inventory of how much you have and how crappy it would be to rely on it, then put it back where you found it. That exercise was a weekly ritual for me. That alone was a huge reason I never had to rely on that kit.

Adventurer
HI postal wagon, wagoneercraig, 1leglance, Flounder,

First, postal wagon
I will definitely check into Mainstay Emergency Rations. I already have a space blanket but I forgot to put on the list. I also have flares and a signaling mirror. These things were in my backpacking kit.

Not sure about the firearms. In many places they are not allowed but I understand the NPS has changed their policy recently. Need to check into it. I have the necessary arms. I assume you are concerned with personal protection rather than food.

I always travel alone. My Jeep only has one seat. The passenger seat has been replaced by an ARB Freezeer/fridge and the back seats were long ago displaced by a large Tuffy storage trunk. Also, I very often trek by myself. This style places special demands on my emergency survival strategy as well as my recovery tool set. So, NEVER, NEVER say NEVER to Me; I won't listen. :ylsmoke:

I note that you did not comment on my PLB. It is the most important item I have for survival.

I routinely carry a day pack.

In general, what do you think of my list?

Next, wagoneercraig,
I think we are very different in style. Your list is too minimalist for me. I hope it works for you. Thanks for your response. Maybe, as I try to pack all this stuff I will come back to your philosophy.

Next, 1leglance,
I don't plan to be without my rig. My PLB will keep me tethered to the vehicle. But you bring up some interesting scenarios that, frankly, I had not considered. The idea of a grab bag is something to consider. I routinely carry a day pack and many of the items you mention are stored there. I will have to look at how to put it behind my drivers seat. Normally that space is fully taken up by other things. I'll see if I can rearrange. Remember, this is a Jeep with very limited space.

Though I do carry a pad and pencil, it is not on the list. I'll add it. The pad is not waterproof. I'll get one.

I think your mention of the mental side of a survival situation is important and one I had not thought of.

As a first responder I assume you have close connections with Search and Rescue teams. As such, I'm surprised you did not underline my PLB in the list. This is something I would think you would really encourage. Do you not like them? Do they not work as well as I think they do? Are they not a good idea? Are they not an essential item in anybodies survival kit?

And Flounder,
Well, I think you have a good idea. But my idea of a good survival kit is a collection of items I never touch. Thus, the collection will never change unless I have to use them in a survival situation. But the truth is there are items in my list that will do double duty as a tool or appliance and survival. So, the kit will change to minor degree over time. So, I will take your suggestion seriously. Thanks.

Thanks All very much for your ideas.

Sparky

Last edited:

postalWagon

Adventurer
plb are nice, but they run on battery and if not properly protected it can break. the same goes for all electronics. not to mention a plb does nothing to help you survive, just find you or your body, BUT it helps you mentally by knowing the help is on its way.
the firearm is not much of an issue in NM, just keep it unloaded and out of site. its not quite a personal protection item, more of a make food item.
your list is good.
A good set of books to find is the SAS survival manuals, they have one for every major climate with lots of hints and tips.
I would skip carrying a regular plastic water bottle, I like nalgene bottles. they have a scale on the side, they are chemically stable (in a pinch the can hold fuel), you can pour boiling water in them to clean them a ns warm your self and they come in many sizes.
my go bag goes almost every where I go, minus somethings, every day going out without would be like not having a leg.
550 cord as mentioned by others is great stuff the most I would take is 100 feet.
since you go alone tell someone the five W's, there are some huge radio dead zones in NM where you can't get any kind of signal.
thanks for asking.

Last edited:

Andy@AAV

Old Marine
For an emergency, food would not be a huge priority on the timeline you stated. I would worry more about water, especially in the desert. You can live without food for weeks, not water...

Some other suggestions.

-Magnesium block for fire starting. It never fails.
-A small plastic bag of dryer soaked in petroleum jelly for tinder.
-Anti-diarrhea medication. Keeps you hydrated
-Water purification tablets. See a trend on water here?
-Pack your kit into a nalgene bottle so it's waterproof.
-Add a canteen cup to the bottom of the bottle (you can pick ones up that fit at REI)
-Wrap the bottle in a few layers of duct tape and some snare wire.
-Then wrap a layer or two of 550 cord around it.

And read a good book or 5 on survival. All the gear in the world is useless without knowing how to use it. :)

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
For a time line of 3 day you need nothing but a strong mind (most important in any survival situtation) as long as its not freezing and under 110°. Knowing what you can do without gives you a mental advantage.

nguyet16

Try to learn,practice to use some of the equipment that goes in the bag,also some emergency,survival techniques so you have a pretty good idea.A firesteel is one example,practice to use it,imagine how much harder it would be when you're stressed out,cold and could not get a fire when needed or built the shelter properly to protect from the environment.The ditch bag should always be within reach inside the vehicle and not under tons of other gears.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

stevo

Observer
Emergency surival kit

I read your list and, like so many others, I had my own ideas as what to add (or remove) and it made me think about my "daily survival situation". I drive a Pinzgauer and I carry alot of stuff but I'm wondering about your "survival mindset" on a daily basis. Ie: EVERYDAY, everywhere I go, I wear multi-pocket "cargo pants" in which I always carry my wallet, a small coin purse to carry small items (coins, sm. Victorinox knife, etc.), 2 1/2" blade knife, sm.pack of tissues, sm. writing pad w/ pen and fine pt. perm.marker,a Streamlight AA flashlight with pocket clip, a 4" blade "self-defense" knife, cell phone, Zippo lighter (more for sentimental reasons than anything else), and my keys. I usually wear 8" tall boots, a nylon belt, some sort of a layered shirt/jacket combo, and some sort of a hat. I also carry/wear a sm. fanny pack which contains a sm. multi-tool, another 2 1/2"-3" blade knife, Bic lighter/wooden survival matches in a waterproof container, a Silva compass, whistle, tweezers, bandaids, spare glasses, Epi-Pen (I am allergic to bees, wasps, etc.), and another sm pack of tissues. I also carry (legally) a small Kahr 9mm pistol.
There is a fellow on you-tube whom you might find interesting and informative and, while I am not one of his "disciples", he has given me alot to think about-especially his ideas on EDC (every day carry). It's the "Nutnfancy" chanel on You-tube.
Cheers, Stevo

Last edited:

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
And Flounder,
Well, I think you have a good idea. But my idea of a good survival kit is a collection of items I never touch. So, the kit will change to minor degree over time. So, I will take your suggestion seriously. Thanks.

My advice isn't to use those items, but just to do a simple inspection and inventory of those items periodically. When it hits the fan, do you think your memory will be sharp enough to remember the contents of your kit? A kit you haven't inspected or inventoried in weeks, or longer? For me, it was simply about making sure I was always familiar with what items were in that kit. It also allowed me an opportunity to inspect those items. Is the water contained as it should be? Were my matches dry? And any time you make changes to your kit, these periodic inspections are even more important.

postalWagon

Adventurer
very good point,
know your kit inside and out. find things that have more than one use and know how to do it. I would even recommend taking a weekend to try and use your kit, that will really show you if it works.

this is a great topic :)

Adventurer
HI All,
Definitely some good ideas from you all. I have some thoughts concerning your comments verses the list I provided. You should keep in mind, though I did not mention it, I am not a hunter. And do remember, as I stated, my strategy is a three day one and entirely based on the PLB. If you want to stray from my ground rules that's fine. But please be clear where you differ and why. Otherwise your suggestions will not be of any help to me or anyone else. A strategy must have a base line. It cannot be open ended to cover everything from Jeep accidents to earthquakes to urban warfare. I am only interested in surviving a Jeep accident/breakdown or a medical situation that may result from a Jeep accident.

Also, I am a 3 season trekker. Winter is a time to watch pro football and work on the Jeep. Go Cowboys. The worst winter survival situation I can envision is Tony Romo throwing a 4th quarter interception! This is a big game with the Giants. True, in spring and fall it can get cold for short spells and one should be ready for that eventuality. Note that I have a small tent and a sleeping bag on my list as well as fire starting stuff on my list. Summer is probably the most dangerous for me given that I trek often in the Southwest deserts. So, water and shade is super important and I think I have covered those cases. But my mind is open.

1. Weapon; a weapon used for gathering food seems superfluous. First, none of the weapons cited are hunting guns. Next, with a three day strategy, I have enough food for the duration. But, for personal protection, I can see the need but it would be a very special case that is really beyond a survival situation. For that need, only a hand gun makes sense. I have several that would fill the need ranging from a Colt 45ACP to a small 9 MM to a 38 Special. I don't carry any of them in my vehicle. I do carry a high powered air rifle but it's only for play plinking targets; accurate only out to only 100 yds. It could probably kill a rabbit with a good shot.

2. Water; of course adequate water is a necessity. Did you notice that I always carry 5 gallons in a Gerry can all the time? It's on the list. I would think that would cover my needs. Do you disagree?

3. Scenario; some of you seem like you are viewing the situation as a warfare scenario. Nothing could be further from my mind. I just want to get rescued. Try to keep your comments within my need range, please, unless you think my three day scenario is too limited. If so tell me why.

4. Personal Locator Beacon; have any of you actually had any experience with a PLB? Based on what you are writing, I think not. I don't think you have even seen one. I think you are seriously underestimating the potential of such a device. It is my first line of defense and will stay that way. I have built my whole strategy around it. Clearly you all have not. I think you should investigate the PLB's impressive capabilities. It is no Best Buy toy. It cost $700.

5. First Aid; some of the "first aid kits" mentioned are far beyond anything I would need or know how to use. You did see that I had a first aid kit on my list, right? I'm not in SWAT or trauma situations. True, its possible for survival situation to become life threatening. But it seems to me that if I can stop the blood flow from a wound, I can last for three days.

6. Strategy; it seems to me that many of your suggestions are not critical of my list. Rather, you forget my strategy is based on three days, not an indefinite time period. I'm not Tom Hanks on a desert island talking to a soccer ball. Thus, you seem to be critical of my strategy rather than the list, per se. But you have not specifically said that. If you are critical of the three day strategy, please say so and we can discuss that. The only thing I need to extend the scenario is more food (and more space).

Thanks Very Much, Sparky

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior