How Ford plans to phase out the best-selling E-Series

cwsqbm

Explorer
This news has been around for a long time. Personally, I'd love a high-roof AWD diesel Transit. I won't hold my breath on that combo being sold in the USA though.

NothingClever

Explorer
I read one of the individual commentaries which included AWD, 6sp, turbo diesel and van conversion to an RV in one sentence....I know it's forum dreaming but that would be a pretty attractive platform for a conversion. However, manual transmissions are getting rarer and rarer these days so maybe two out of three won't be bad.

haven

Expedition Leader
Here's a Youtube video about testing the Transit that Ford posted.

Ford is fully committed to the Transit. They plan to build the van in St Louis starting in 2013, rather than import it from Europe like Ford does with the Transit Connect.

toddz69

Explorer
Just saw a red one doing tow testing on the Davis Dam grade (SAE J8207 test) yesterday afternoon. Looks like a nice rig.

Todd Z.

brice

The vid above shows one of the contractors driving a manual transmission van. I don't think that Ford would go through the trouble of doing that kind of test with a M/T unless they were seriously considering it as an option. If I can get a m/t awd van in the mid $30's, it may be my next camper/cycle hauler.

I've been around transits a little bit in other countries, and I can't imagine they would be in anyway comparable to a 4wd smb off-road, but for someone like myself who just wants to get up muddy forest service roads or across wet grassy fields it looks perfect. The floor height is a good bit less than an e-series, and must be a couple feet lower than a 4x4 sportsmobile. That's a big deal at the end of a day of riding when you are exhausted and it's time to load the toys.

The one big question that I have is about towing capacity. If I can't tow a jeep or sports car (maybe 8000 lbs) it becomes much more difficult to justify replacing my current van.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
The one big question that I have is about towing capacity. If I can't tow a jeep or sports car (maybe 8000 lbs) it becomes much more difficult to justify replacing my current van.

8K pounds? That's a really heavy Jeep or sports car!!

My CJ fully loaded comes it just shy of 5K, my TJ clocks in at 3832 pounds in stock configuration with hard top.**

** Have to add another 500-600 pounds for armor, tires, winch. And another 3-400 pounds for gear. But still not close to 8K

I have no idea what the new 4 door JK's weigh in at fully kitted out.

Pedro

Capitan rally fluffer

My CJ fully loaded comes it just shy of 5K, my TJ clocks in at 3832 pounds in stock configuration with hard top.**

** Have to add another 500-600 pounds for armor, tires, winch. And another 3-400 pounds for gear. But still not close to 8K

+2klbs for trailer. then you need to check the GCVWR to make sure your payload and towing weight aren't over when you are packed up. That would be my concern.

username

Remember, ford planned to phase out the the rear wheel drive mustang. The replacement was going to the car which became the probe. Now that nissan is selling a fullsize van, they could reevaluate their decision. I saw a nissan van, and from a distance, it looked like something from ford. Nothing beats a body on frame vehicle for commercial use.

zimm

Expedition Leader
I see a need for them but I'll miss the body on frame, the cab
(Not the seats) the big wheels and the ground clearance. Being I rotate out the trucks en mass, I'll miss the 23000 0% deals I've gotten. I'm sure they will charge sprinter premiums.

brice

Like Pedro said, you forgot the 2k lb trailer. I've got a 2010 JKU that I'm guessing will be just over 5k lbs when I finish the armor, so I'm already over 7k before any spares. Add all of the stuff that it takes to travel with a wife and two young children and 8k lbs towing is barely adequate, assuming the gcvwr is high enough for us to still have anything in the van.

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
The vid above shows one of the contractors driving a manual transmission van. I don't think that Ford would go through the trouble of doing that kind of test with a M/T unless they were seriously considering it as an option. If I can get a m/t awd van in the mid $30's, it may be my next camper/cycle hauler.

I've been around transits a little bit in other countries, and I can't imagine they would be in anyway comparable to a 4wd smb off-road, but for someone like myself who just wants to get up muddy forest service roads or across wet grassy fields it looks perfect. The floor height is a good bit less than an e-series, and must be a couple feet lower than a 4x4 sportsmobile. That's a big deal at the end of a day of riding when you are exhausted and it's time to load the toys.

I would be downright shocked, if they offer a MT in the US, considering they don't have one in a truck at all, anymore. AWD is an 8000 Euro option- more than what Quigley charges to make an American van 4wd. Ford is supposed to offer the 3.5 EB, so 8k towing, or 16k GCW isn't out of the question.

Clutch

<---Pass
I see a need for them but I'll miss the body on frame, the cab
(Not the seats) the big wheels and the ground clearance. Being I rotate out the trucks en mass, I'll miss the 23000 0% deals I've gotten. I'm sure they will charge sprinter premiums.

Always the Chevy option, the Duramax is a better diesel than the Ford, (as I don't think Ford even offers the 6.7 in the vans now) plus the rear differential/axle location is better than the Fords on the extended body versions.

4x4_Chevy_Van.95124556_std.JPG

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
No diesel option for Ford anymore. That Chevy van looks sweet!!! Who did the 4x4 conversion?

http://boulderoffroadvans.com/

We used to have Fords in our service fleet...great vehicles, very little problems....rented a Chevy Express just for the hell of it for a job, hey they aren't bad either.

So there still is an option for body on frame vans when Ford discontinues the E-Series.

Neat feature on the Cheby's....access doors to tool boxes if you so desire. Plus dual side doors.

11_ch_exp_ovr_ext_1.jpg

11_ch_exp_ovr_int_01.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke