How to Season a Pie Iron

SRN

Adventurer
So you just got your new Pie Iron and you're all ready to start making savory Ruebens and sautéed mushrooms. But wait! The Pie Iron looks a little strange, its silver not the dark, glossy black that you expected. Whats going on here?

Well, your Pie Iron hasn't been seasoned yet. That silver coating is the paraffin wax put on at the factory to keep the cast iron from rusting in transit and storage. Before you start cooking with your Pie Iron you'll need to burn that off and then "season" the cast iron. What is seasoning? Basically it's applying an oily coating to the cast iron so that food doesn't stick. As cast iron is used it will become seasoned by the oil from the food cooked in it, but it's very important to season it properly before first use as well. So how does one season a Pie Iron properly? Follow the steps below to find out!

First things first, remove the Pie Iron from its packaging. For demonstration purposes I'll be using a Double Pie Iron, mostly because I've been wanting to make a cheesesteak sandwich, but the process is the same with any cast iron Pie Iron.

Seasoning1.jpg

Seasoning3.jpg

Seasoning4.jpg

Once you remove the packaging you'll notice the film of wax over everything. There are two ways to remove it. Either take a scouring pad and hot water and scrub it off, or place it over heat and melt it off. Since I'm lazy, I'm going to melt it off. This requires taking the two halves of the Pie Iron and placing them concave side down over a heat source. I'll be using my charcoal grill, but it can be propane or a fire pit as well. I highly recommend doing this outside, as the whole process is very smoky.

Seasoning5.jpg

Seasoning6.jpg

You'll leave it over the heat for about 15 minutes, flipping it over half way through.

Seasoning7.jpg

Once the wax has been melted off the Pie Iron will have a slightly dull grey color still. Wait for it to cool to the touch and then wash it in warm, soapy water. Scrubbing thoroughly with a scouring pad or bristle brush to get any of the remaining wax off. This should be the only time that the Pie Iron sees soap. The reason being that soap will remove the seasoning, which kind of defeats the purpose of going to all this trouble in the first place.

Seasoning8.jpg

Seasoning10.jpg

Seasoning11.jpg

Seasoning13.jpg

Once you are done washing the Pie Iron, you must immediately begin the seasoning process to prevent rust from developing. Dry the Pie Iron thoroughly and apply a thin coat of quality vegetable oil or solid shortening. I've heard of some people using bacon grease, which would work, but that's an expensive prospect. I'm using Crisco because that's what is in the kitchen cabinet.

Seasoning14.jpg

Seasoning15.jpg

With the coating applied, place the two halves of the Pie Iron back onto the grill concave side up. You'll put it on for ten minutes, flipping it halfway through.

Seasoning17.jpg

Seasoning18.jpg

Seasoning19.jpg

When the first coating has cooked in, the Pie Iron should start to take on a blackish hue. There might be a little bit of brown in it, but generally it should be blackening over the entire surface. Once the Pie Iron has cooled to the touch, apply another thin coating of shortening. You will need to do this a total of four times to get a good, solid coating.

Seasoning21.jpg

Seasoning22.jpg

After the fourth round of shortening has cooked into the Pie Iron, it should take on a glossy, deep black finish all over. This is what you want to see!

Seasoning24.jpg

Seasoning25.jpg

So now you're set! The Pie Iron is all seasoned and ready for serious camp fire cooking! As long as it is used regularly, you'll likely never have to reseason it again. If it sits for a few seasons unused, or starts to develop any rust, you may want to add a few new layers, but otherwise you're good! Start cooking!

Seasoning28.jpg

SRN

Adventurer
This is hot off the grill, so it looks super glossy. After its been in the fire a few times when you've been using it for cooking it'll dull the exterior a bit. It doesn't hurt to put another coating on it, but as long as food isn't sticking to badly to it and there is no rust, you should be fine.

Cards81fan

Osage Hilltopper
Yup! If it isn't rusting, it's likely okay. Just keep using it and the cooking oils continually re-season it as you cook. The seasoning is actually where the oil and metal interact to form the non-stick surface, changing the chemistry of the porous cast iron to be the smooth cooking surface. It's shiny, but not as glossy as in that pic (as the OP stated, it was fresh of the fire).

I found (not a Pie iron, but) some old cast iron Griswold and WagnerWare pans from my late grandparents in my garage a month ago. I scoured with steel wool as they were quite rusty from the decades of neglect. I re-seasoned mine with vegetable oil and in the oven on broil for an hour or so. I didn't do it more than once, but a couple of times extra would be better as it creates a more even seasoning across the cooking surface. I also was less liberal with the seasoning fat, but then again I was indoors and had to keep the smoke to a minimum. Even a light coating of oil makes a lot of smoke as it cooks off! SRN's method is far more thorough and proper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne