1990 Fuso FG 4x4

BobbyB

Just a quick update to those that are interested... Much to my surprise all 6 of the bleeder screws backed out okay with no issue (after using PB Blaster of course) I was really happy about that! I have not bleed them yet, as I ran out of time, my children wanted me to come back inside and watch goofy Christmas movies... While I was crawling under the truck, I noticed a VERY small rubber plug... I did not remove it yet, but is that where I would adjust the "drag" on the shoes? When I adjust my other trucks rear brakes, the rubber plug is much bigger for my brake spoon... So, am I correct in adjusting them this way? I don't have to remove the whole wheel to adjust the brake do I??? Thanks guys!

BobbyB

I am trying to get a handle on all the filters I will need. Am I missing anything??? Primary Oil ME014833. By-Pass Oil ME014838. Fuel Filter ME016872. Are their any other filters that I need to get for this beast? I also will get the primary air cleaner. Thanks in advance!

Bobby B.

Sorry that I don't have Fuso info to add, I did want to pop in to compliment you on what is a stellar user name. :wavey:

BobbyB

I'm glad that my Power Probe 3 came in the mail today... It only took about 30 minutes to chase wires and get all my lights working... So now I have brake lights! If you guys have ever had to mess with electrical junk, the Power Probe makes it really easy... Just google it... Next stop... bleeding and/or adjusting brakes...

BobbyB

Just wanted everyone to know that I was able to get the brakes working MINT on this truck. It is AMAZING how far out of adjustment they were. I think the last goof that owned this thing neglected to adjust them. I also fab'd a new exhaust system for the truck, it's a straight shot and sounds great. I'm impressed how easy it is to work on this thing!

BobbyB

good news bobby

This is the beauty of farm machinery
no gizmos - no electrikery just good old fashioned mechanicals
how could you go wrong

You are correct my friend, it reminds me of working on a tractor. Currently I have fixed all brakes and adjusted them. All the lights to the back are good too... I replaced the air cleaner box with a really nice rust free one from South Carolina and I am in the process of installing a new windshield with new weather stripping. Truck will be put on the road soon... Cant wait!

blackduck

Explorer
bobby
you could always check out alans build of his 1990 fg
definatley a milestone for any budding doerupperer
ypu could be the envy of all around

Mit Fuso

bobby
you could always check out alans build of his 1990 fg
definatley a milestone for any budding doerupperer
ypu could be the envy of all around

I have been in love with my 1990 Fuso FG 4x4 diesel ever since I saw it on Craig's list a few months ago. Here's my first problem: All four (two mounted on top of the RV body) of the brake lights are out, but the fuse is ok and the horn still honks. I'm thinking it's the switch but can't find one on the web. Has anybody had this problem? If so, where did you get the switch and what's the part number?

IMG_7577 b.jpgIMG_7590 b.jpg

Mit Fuso

Power, Loading, and Towing

I understand that there are ways to get more power out of this engine, but that can introduce problems? Comments?

What about the automatic transmission? Comments?

Will a bigger engine fit? Cost?

The Fuso FG will do just about anything off-road, but it is no speed demon on the highway. Any practical experience towing up long grades?

alan

Explorer
How come i've never seen this thread before? I thought i was the only one with an old fuso canter.

FG Surfari

Adventurer
I had a similar problem on a trip a few years ago.
What it ended up being was a wire along the frame rail had worked its way out of the harness sheathing, and had become pinched between the frame and the camper box, causing the lights to short out.
It happened on and off over the course of the week, and was a bear to track down.
I eventually re-wrapped and re-routed the harness to prevent a recurrence.
Hope that helps

Mit Fuso

How come i've never seen this thread before? I thought i was the only one with an old fuso canter.

Yeah, I just stumbled into it by searching the web. I wish this site had a way to get notification of posts to selected threads. Maybe it does, but I haven't seen any way to sign up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles