1990 Fuso FG 4x4

Mit Fuso

I had a similar problem on a trip a few years ago.
What it ended up being was a wire along the frame rail had worked its way out of the harness sheathing, and had become pinched between the frame and the camper box, causing the lights to short out.
It happened on and off over the course of the week, and was a bear to track down.
I eventually re-wrapped and re-routed the harness to prevent a recurrence.
Hope that helps

Do you mean that you had brake lights some of the time, but not all of the time? Mine seem to just completely gone, leading me to suspect the switch, but I'll check both.

Got any photos of your rig anywhere?

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Yeah, I just stumbled into it by searching the web. I wish this site had a way to get notification of posts to selected threads. Maybe it does, but I haven't seen any way to sign up.

At the upper right of the post click on Thread Tools > Subscribe to this Thread

subscribe.jpg

FG Surfari

Adventurer
What had happened is that the wire got wedged between the camper body and the frame, and over time, the situation wore away the plastic coating on the wire a bit.
As such, it would only short out now and again, and I can only assume it happened more so when the camper body would twist off road, over speed bumps at an angle etc ...
That's what made it so frustrating, because when it was happening I did not have the hindsight of knowing what was going on.
Eventually, I ended rerouting the rearward harness through the camper floor to protect it from the elements and further incident.
So far so good.

Beaniam

I came across this thread via google. We have a 95 Fuso Canter here at work that I'm trying to track down a brake light issue on. I'm finding it next to impossible to find information online for them. I've got rear turn signals and running lights but no brake lights. Do these have a brake light switch up near the brake pedal or something down on the air/hydraulics for the brakes outside the truck? If someone still has the wiring diagrams handy for them I'd appreciate it.

Mit Fuso

I came across this thread via google. We have a 95 Fuso Canter here at work that I'm trying to track down a brake light issue on. I'm finding it next to impossible to find information online for them. I've got rear turn signals and running lights but no brake lights. Do these have a brake light switch up near the brake pedal or something down on the air/hydraulics for the brakes outside the truck? If someone still has the wiring diagrams handy for them I'd appreciate it.

I just had the same problem with my 1990. I ordered the switch, which was not the same--smaller and with different connections. I ended up putting the old "defective" switch back in and adjusting it, and viola'! it's working fine now. The switch is located in a rough spot to get at to the left of the brake pedal, almost hidden, but if you use a bright light and push on the brake pedal, you will see the black actuator plate which moves backwards (not downwards). you will see that it it is behind the switch, which is mounted on a rigid mounting plate for the switch with a galvanized bolt and a set-nut. Adjust this nut until the brake lights start coming on where you want them to. I tossed the "replacement" switch into my parts box. It is difficult because the nut is hard to get a wrench on, but a small end wrench loosened mine just enough to get my two index fingers on it. I kept turning and testing the lights until I got it where I wanted it, then tightened it with the wrench. It's a quick job that took me hours, but now it's easy. I suspect that vibrations loosened the set-nut and it backed out over time. I resisted the temptation to put Locktite on it; I would sure as hell not use the red, and I'm glad the nut was easy to turn. Hope this helps. If you run into any problems, contact me. We are heading off on an expedition on Monday; will be incognito until about April 23. We are going to Expedition Expo in May, if the creeks don't rise too high for the truck.

Attachments

• IMG_7590 b.jpg
    IMG_7590 b.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7577 b.jpg
    IMG_7577 b.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 5

Beaniam

Thanks I'll look up in there closer tomorrow. I couldn't see anything in there resembling a switch but I didn't really know where to look.

Mit Fuso

Thanks I'll look up in there closer tomorrow. I couldn't see anything in there resembling a switch but I didn't really know where to look.

You'll see a fairly large roundish sheet metal housing or part (what is this?), and it's tucked up under it. You have to get down low with a good light, push the clutch pedal up and down, and you'll see the black actuator plate coming toward you. Everything is painted black, but my switch's attachment "bolt" is shiny, as is the switch, with two wires coming out of it. The bolt is hollow, with a black plastic, spring-loaded switch-button on the back-end that activates the switch when the actuator plate (about an inch or so square) touches it. I set mine so that if I even touch the brake pedal the lights go on. I don't know whether or not this is to spec or not. Does anybody else know for sure? It just seemed sensible to me, but ya never know . . .

blackduck

Explorer
brake.jpg

look at part 11
hard to see but if you run your hand up the brake pedal (be careful there are some sharp edges) youll feel it

Beaniam

Here's a few pictures of what I'm looking at. I don't see any switches or wires coming off anything the brake pedal is related to. The air junction box that the plunger the brake pedal actuates has 2 sensors and wires coming off the left side of it. There's a stop screw to adjust return distance on the brake pedal but I don't see a switch on it. I've circled the items I'm talking about. Also a shot of the plunger as seen looking up under the dash.

Attachments

• brake.jpg
    brake.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 2
  • brake2.jpg
    brake2.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 1
  • brake3.jpg
    brake3.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 1

Forum statistics

Threads