Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Manufacturer Recommendations for new truck camper

I don't have experience with the other brands, but I can tell you that my Bigfoot has totally impressed me and has met all my expectations - and even more.
    I think the fiberglass shell is hard to beat.
    Christian

CTO Expedition Portal
    www.expeditionportal.com
    www.overlandjournal.com

Quote Originally Posted by dare2go View Post
    WHAT? So you're supposed to pay TWICE for things? First for the fittings you don't want, and then again for a time-consuming re-fit with the stuff you really want... What sort of customer care is that? I thought the RV-industry is still struggling...

Northstar builds nice truck campers, too, and I know (from talking w. owner) that they are open to some custom work, but I don't know if they have any body in their line up which matches your ideas (eg. side entry). Bigfoot's quality don't get me started to list all the bits which fell apart in ours in because they were either only stapled (not screwed) or screwed in with too much torque and the timber had split. Northern Light is a Canadian off-spring from Bigfoot staff, but again: they don't make a model w. side entrance!

I wouldn't put such a long camper on anything but your choice of base vehicle: the 550. Hence the market segment is too small to be of interest to most manufacturers...
    Noticed your location. I drove through there in 1979. Did not notice the aroma of Mullimbimby Madness unfortunately. Fond memories of Oz.
    2007 Dodge 2500 Regcab 4wd 5.9 CTD. G-56 , TC800 Northstar popup 24/7.

I have owned two Lance campers and love the fit and finish. If you buy used make sure you get the aluminum framed model. Winter package also..

I've been going for a year now and expanding my lines and have been trying to stay with off the shelf maintenance, sturdy as an ox for longevity, light for economy, and unique just to stick it in the RV manufacturer's eyes lol. I'm close to building out a toy hauler edition that would be a cabin on a car hauler trailer and could easily morph into close to what you are wanting. I'm in Texas and would love to do a custom build for you to drop on your F350 (by the way go Ford the non bailout american manufacturer).
    Steve
    MicroCampers
    www.microcampers.com
    512-522-2810

We have had the S&S 11FBSC for six years and have not been disappointed.

IMG0055.jpg
    Jeffrey

I have been shopping too. being decent in the cold is important for me as I live in Montana and hope to travel to AK and might live in it for some time.(NOT all winter though)
    good info.
    i just can't afford newer models. as I dont even have a truck yet. still working on that one. then I will shop more serious for campers. have liked the Lance ones, but a Bigfoot would be NICE. but my budget dont alow

I am in the same boat as you ASTN and it sounds like we are interested in a similar set-up.
    I currently have a Corsair and would highly recommend this brand (or it's sister company Okanogan) but both shut their doors during the last economic down-turn. The quality, materials, lay-outs, and features were among the best I have seen. Now I am left looking for similar quality in a different wrapper.
    I too am looking for a side entry, flat bed mounted unit that is of high quality, aluminum (no wood) framed, premium insulation, heated tanks, dry bath, large fridge/freezer, possible cassette toilet, and lots of storage (good sized wardrobe is a must).
    Let us know what you find...

Remember with a truck camper, you want the smallest you can live out of, not the largest you can afford. If you get too large you lose the mobility and ease of travel that makes a TC great.
    '06 Liberty Limited CRD, Franken lifted, OME shocks, BFG 245/75/16, Magnaflow, ORM, ALLJs rear rack, Lightforce, TJM front bumper, Scorpion diesel tuner and Baja tested.
    2003 Dodge 3500 SRW, LB 4x4 Laramie, Banks sixgun tuner, Banks 4" exhaust, Buckstop Baja bumper, leveling kit, Aerotanks 60 gal. fuel tank, Lightforce offroad lights. 315-70-17 BFG
    '04 ST1300
    '06 Yamaha TW 200 POS sold
    1996 DR650 now a 790

What's the latest news, any progress?

Quote Originally Posted by motrhed View Post
    What's the latest news, any progress?
    I abandoned the project. I wasn't comfortable with the price v. build quality of any of the manufacturers I spoke to. This thread seemed to have grown it's own legs, and I didn't have anything else to add. I'm currently just backpacking out of my truck when I'm out, and someday down the line I will consider just building own my camper.

It's funny how it seems everyone who has built their own seems to think it was the biggest mistake they made: In trying to avoid that mistake, I ended up even more frustrated. Grass is greener, I suppose.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12