Weight concerns

98dango

Expedition Leader
Sitting here today at work tied to a desk. I started thinking about my project. I was originally worried about weight and breakage. Adding up all the numbers from stock to now.

STOCK NOW
4.3 v6 425 350 v8 575
700r4 165 sm465 180
Np231 85 np205 130
Gm 10 bolt 230 gm14 bolt 550
Other things like the IFS cannot be calculated till I cut it off. Not factoring in brackets just hard parts I’m 550 over stock. Then you figure front spring hanger leaf springs bigger fuel tank. The best educated guess I can figure my curb weight will go from 3650 to about 4600 total truck weight bumpers winch heavier tires. To me this is still acceptable. My old 4runner was 4200 with a 4cyl Trans 2 transfer cases and spare parts I knew I would break. I know a full size ¾ ton Chevrolet truck stock is 4500 approximately. So the weight is not near what that truck would be with bumpers brackets and all the like for a tip. The GVWR for a 96 s10 blazer 4door is 5300. That leaves a 700 pound difference 2 people 400 pounds camping gear food excreta 200. That put me very close to the door rating. I know the rig and suspension will handle the weight but what about the highway patrol. Has anyone ever been checked in there rig I know many rigs on this sight are over or very close to their GVWR

01tundra

Explorer
My Tundra was pushing 6,800 lbs without camping gear and occupants, drove it through 27 states, including the North East and West Coast and never even got a second glance from highway patrol or any other law enforcement....that was while rolling on 40" tires, dovetailed bed w/o mud flaps, full interior cage, and beadlock wheels......so maybe I was just extremely lucky :).

98dango

Expedition Leader
My Tundra was pushing 6,800 lbs without camping gear and occupants, drove it through 27 states, including the North East and West Coast and never even got a second glance from highway patrol or any other law enforcement....that was while rolling on 40" tires, dovetailed bed w/o mud flaps, full interior cage, and beadlock wheels......so maybe I was just extremely lucky :).[/QUOTE

you where lucky with out flaps. I feel a little better with your answer. As i know you where on ultimate adventure. Heck i think you where even in gillette on your way to franks blisses place.

bftank

Explorer
if you look like a prostitute you will get treated like a prostitute. if you look clean cut and in control you will get treated the same. i think you will be fine as long as the nose of you your rig isn't in the air and you don't have your mammy's rocking chair tied to the roof with leftover baling twine.

it doesn't sound like you are planning to design unsafe handling or load carrying characteristics into your rig, which means you shouldn't have any red flags that are going to attract the standard popo. big tires and fullwidth axles might attract the guys with a vendetta, but as long as your work doesn't look janky, you should be ok.

or not whatever.:chef:

98dango

Expedition Leader
but as long as your work doesn't look janky

Janky I have not heard that in a long time. No the plan is to look and be simple to draw little attention.

honestly I dont want to see my truck on spotted expedition rigs unless its by some who knows me. No roof rack just a winch bumper and a spare tire rack. I will have to build fender flairs of some sort for the lovely state of Oregon. The main location of the truck will be from MT/WY with trips in ID CO OR WA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier