My little Harbor Freight trailer build

rnArmy

Adventurer
Cover.2.jpg

A couple of years ago I bought a little four-foot trailer frame from Harbor Freight, and built it up. It'll never compare to an M-416, but I like it. Here's the link to the build:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/...ype-trailer-ultimate-build-up-thread-1180456/

I loaded it up with camping gear and towed to to Moab and back this past April (2200 miles round trip) and it pulled beautifully.

(edit March 2017) You can see in the two pictures it the trailer has evolved over the years.

Attachments

• Pumpkin and Jeep trailer 321.1JPG.jpg
    Pumpkin and Jeep trailer 321.1JPG.jpg
    545.6 KB · Views: 563
Last edited:

johnsoax

Adventurer
Nice!! I've was thinking about converting my 4x8 Harbor Freight trailer into something like this but a bit bigger, but then my wife found a popup for less than $1k, so we got that.

johnsoax

Adventurer
Just finished reading through your thread. Nice build.

My HF trailer has the 12" tires on it, and I have put about 5k miles on the original tires and bearings. I just grease it everytime before I unfold it.

The preasure treated 3/4" plywood has held up pretty well in this time, but I do store it inside the garage.

EWS

Observer
Nice KISS trailer, simple, does the job. Like the Ammo can idea,got me thinking for strap and chock storage.

rnArmy

Adventurer
Nice KISS trailer, simple, does the job. Like the Ammo can idea,got me thinking for strap and chock storage.

Thanks for the compliments. In the ammo can I keep a spare axle hub assembly and bearings/races, some grease, spare lug nuts, and the nozzel for the little gas cans. And there's still room for more stuff. The Jeep tailgate swings over the ammo can with just a little room to spare.

My TJ is a four cylinder, and this trailer is nice and light (compared to what is out there) which makes pulling it easy.

Attachments

• DSCN0351..jpg
    DSCN0351..jpg
    339.9 KB · Views: 301
Last edited:

EWS

Observer
Its good to see basic KISS type, off road capable trailers, along with the basic military trailers. My trailer build was for a basic off road capable trailer..

Link- http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/64134-First-Trailer-Build

Not all of us can afford to purchase, build a trailer/camper with all the bells and whistles including the kitchen sink, or even require that amount of sophistication. Many of us require a trailer to do multitude of uses, including the trip to the dump, considering also what we have as our towing vehicle . Also not every one is planning to take their trailer over the most extreme terrain..

rat patrol

Adventurer
hey doc,
if you don't mind me asking what was the final bill? I too seriously thought about going the same route but the final cost seemed more than buying an m416. even after new bearings and tires, i 'm only into it for $900.

as for the weight issues, i'm driving/ pulling it behind a series land rover- 90 hp. 4 cyl.

chuck

EWS

Observer
Ratpatrol-

Take a look at my build. ( We are in the UK) And where I got my inspiration from . We run a'06 Land Rover TD5 90 Defender. It's a basic KISS trailer, the trailer weight unladen is 240 KG, with a max of 750KG , to comply with unbraked axle regs in the UK. To keep cost's down we used second user steel . Think you would find it difficult and expensive to get a axle /hubs to match the Land Rover, so get what you can cost wise and accept that you may have to carry an additional size spare wheel, not the end off the world scenario. As you are working to a budget, search the breakers for common use leaf springs, wheels and second user steel,.

Link - http://www.wildyoats.com/off_road_trailer_build.htm

Link - http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/64134-First-Trailer-Build

Last edited:

rat patrol

Adventurer
EWS,
Thanks for the link. You've done an excellent job.

I went with the M416 as Sankeys are far too $$$ and don't really mind carrying the extra spare tyre.

rnArmy

Adventurer
I've got a little over $1100 total in my trailer after all the mods including the ammo can, fuel cans, etc. I needed a little trailer, and was wanting a project. I wanted to see what could be done with a little Harbor Freight type trailer, and wrote it up so others could maybe get some ideas. I still want to add some sort of flexible coupler to the front of the trailer, and need to get some sort of vinyl liner made with a built in vinyl top that will seal the contents of the trailer.

Attachments

• Pumpkin and Jeep trailer 321.1JPG.jpg
    Pumpkin and Jeep trailer 321.1JPG.jpg
    545.6 KB · Views: 196

rnArmy

Adventurer
trailer hitch mods 003.JPGtrailer hitch mods 007 - Copy.JPGtrailer hitch mods 009 - Copy.JPGtrailer hitch mods 008 - Copy.JPG

Trailer tongue modification:

I want to get a Max Coupler for my trailer before I take it to Alaska this summer. So I needed a way to mount a 2" receiver to my trailer tongue. I bought a 12" long 2" receiver tube at Harbor Freight, and an 8" long piece of square tubing from my local welding shop that just slid over my trailer's tongue. A couple of 45 degree cuts, a slice off the bottom of the 8" long piece (taken from the side where the edges are welded together), drill a few holes, and weld them together. Here are a few pictures that might tell it better than I can verbalize. Now I just need to give it a few good coats of black paint before I mount it up for good.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier