What is in your Emergency/Survival kit add why?

postalWagon

Adventurer
Thanks to Karma for hi-liting the need to know about Emergency/Survival kit and skills. Here is the spot to look for kit parts and skills.
I'll start with my day kit(this one goes with me every where):
1.5 litter Nalgene bottle w/cup
Titan kettle
Decagon stove w/ 5 oz of fuel
Satellite Phone
Fresh skivies and warming layers in dry bag
Heetsheets bivvy
Petzl e+Lite
signal mirror w/ ranger beads
optional side arm w/ 4 reloads
all that goes into my super chute bag.
knife, lighter, pen and paper, ect... are all carried in my pockets

Screw Luck, beat Murphy.

Last edited:

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I question why a stove with fuel and no food?

To keep this going in a productive direction can you clarify "goes with me everywhere"?

Is this what you keep in your rig or even on a day hike?

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
My emergency additions are influenced by my mode of travel. If I'm on foot or bike and doing a multi-day trip, my additional emergency items are little more than a few first aid pieces. Those things that allow me to travel mulit-day, are the things that allow me to endure a multi-day emergency. If I'm not planning an overnight trip, that's when I pack basics for fire, signaling and minor first aid, maybe additional layers if temps swing.

So, my additional items vary whether I'm hiking, backpacking, kayaking, alpine climbing, mountain biking, or bouncing around in a full sized vehicle.

postalWagon

Adventurer
I question why a stove with fuel and no food?

To keep this going in a productive direction can you clarify "goes with me everywhere"?

Is this what you keep in your rig or even on a day hike?

Mostly to boil water, and I didn't have any food in the bag when I made the list.
This bag goes every where I can take it, ofice, store, park and trail, makes it more EDC.
I have a differnt one in the truck for other things that has frist aid stuff and food.

JLH9

I carry a Go Bag. I carry it all the time and is a general all purpose emergency kit. The why is, that I live in the DC area, work near an airport and it is in preparation for another security issue. It also is in prep for being off road. I even have off road routes to get to my wifes office and sons daycare and then home, to avoid gridlocked roads. Depending on the situation, say going off road, I may make a few situational changes.

It has:
Socks
Extra clothes appropriate for where I am
Poncho
Hat
Gloves (mechanic, ironclad)
Knife
Handgun
Rags
Nalgene bottle/water
Energy bars
Pen and paper
Duct tape
Para cord
Tarp
Lighter/fire starter (magnesium)
Strike anywhere matches
Flashlight
Imodium
Benadryl
Chapstick
Small first aid kit

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Like other posters I have different modes of travel that dictate what I carry. I have bags and pouches that contain levels of needs and comforts.
I do not have a plan for natural disasters mainly because I don't worry about it much living in Arizona. Maybe I'm kidding myself??

Andy@AAV

Old Marine
Hmm.

I keep a simple kit of fire-shelter-water on me every time I go out.

Magnesium fire starter
Mylar blanket
Heavy zip top plastic bag
Purification pills

It all fits in an old compass pouch. I carry a small knife and my Iphone everywhere.

My day pack has more in it along the same lines, with some food added in along with maps, compass, GPS. The day pack stays in the back of my truck so I always have it.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Hmm.

I keep a simple kit of fire-shelter-water on me every time I go out.

Magnesium fire starter
Mylar blanket
Heavy zip top plastic bag
Purification pills

It all fits in an old compass pouch. I carry a small knife and my Iphone everywhere.

My day pack has more in it along the same lines, with some food added in along with maps, compass, GPS. The day pack stays in the back of my truck so I always have it.

I carry large garbage bags in place of mylar blanket. My thought is more multi purpose used for staying dry, heat containment, and stronger. I admitt my weakness area is cold climates (living in the desert) but I do know cold kills so I may think too much about staying dry and warm.
Thoughts?

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
if you carry some fire making tools you could get some coals going to keep warm.

I normally do and I'm comfortable with a fire bow but I see fire as a luxury and don't want to depend on it. I have read from experienced people with strong fire building skills not being able to make it happen pending conditions. Me I want to know how prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Survival at one time is something I want to hard test but the more I learn from people that have done it is challenging at several levels even for the best survivalist.

Energy and water are the biggest challanges in the desert IMO. What is yours?

JLH9

They have those small fire starter (6 inches long) logs that light right up. With those and a lighter/matches, I think one would be in good shape. Just a thought.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne