making a fuel jerry can into a water can?

RonL

Adventurer
I know the blue water jerry cans have a "special" food grade lining. Is there any sealant I could add to a new fuel jerry can to make it food grade?

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
I can't imagine that trying to line the inside of a can would be easy enough to make it worth while. Aren't water cans less expensive than fuel cans?
Just my $.02

Edit: I am interested in your logic behind this. I'm guessing there is something I haven't thought of. Thank you.

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
I'm with McTaco on this - unless there is some super compelling secret wonderment to doing this, dedicated water cans are plentiful, affordable, and purpose built. If you just have a lot of extra fuel cans - sell em!

RonL

Adventurer
There are sealant/coating kits for sealing old gas tanks, I thought there might be something like that for sealing a jerry can with food grade lining.

Yes, you can buy a water can for $50+, but this fuel can was part of a package deal, less that $25 for one can..... I wanted 2 more fuel cans and it was cheaper to buy 4, sell 1 and have 3 for myself....

I will trade a fuel can for a blue water can.....

/dev/m416

/dev/yj tow vehicle
Same here RonL, will end up wanting to see if can use for something other than fuel. Why spend money if we can reuse what we have? Not sure if a water can needed something "food grade" so much as a lining that would inhibit rust, but so much the better in case want to store cooking oil, etc.
I've done a little Googlin', but all I can find are expensive industrial compounds. If you come across anything cheaper than a new can, I'm very interested!

-ralph

TheAlmightySam

Adventurer
IIRC, there is a special food-grade powder coat that should make a metal jerry can water-safe.

Unfortunately, with how cheap MWCs are from LCI, I can't imagine it would make any kind of financial sense to have your metal cans powder coated, unless you have a powder coat gun and oven yourself.

adi

Adventurer
I'll echo the sentiment to sell/trade your extra gas can for a water can. I bought my LCI water can for $18 FWIW.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94