Recommend me a new rod 9-10' 7 wt

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Looking for a new big river rod for out here on the CO river in N. AZ...have a new 7wt reel and am looking for recommendations for a 9-10' rod...don't want a broom stick feel but want to be able to get those big nymphs out where they count...
I have a Winston Ibex (low pricepoint) in an 8wt that I am very fond of...looked at the Redingtons...like my Sage VT3 spey...
Lets hear what you say...
Thanks
Matt

MAD Duo

Observer
Since you know about Sage, I would recommend the new ONE rod they released. I get to open mine Xmas, it's a 7WT 9'6". I'll tell ya all about it after I get done throwing some big streamers! I'm hoping to try it out on Lake Mary for some northern pike come spring/summer, or maybe some winter browns in CO?

How do you like the VT3?

Hafwit

Adventurer
As rods get more expensive over time, it is nice to see some companies making excellent rods at a better price. I would look into Beulah rods for sure and you may want to check out the new rods at Allen fly fishing. I have a few Beulah rods and I think they are as good as anything else out there. I just got an Allen Mystic rod and haven't tried it yet, but it seems decent. If you decide to buy any, let us know what you think.

Cheers,
Greg

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the replies and suggestions...
I like my sage vt3 but it is a 14' spey and I don't get to use it much since the steelhead/salmon fishing isn't as good here in AZ as it was in WA and NY...
I settled on a temporary fix...a $100.00 Redington RS3...while I research other rods...Will post my opinion of this one when it comes this weekend...hope to get out next week for some winter browns and bows...

constructeur

Adventurer
Greg- Glad to hear that you're happy with your Allen rod so far! Justin and Evan are great people, and provide awesome service; something generally not associated within their price point.

Flagster- Whatever you get, I'd spend the majority of time focusing on the right line for both the rod and you. I have an Echo classic 10' 8wt and for river fishing have lined it with a Rio steelhead/Atlantic line. It took me some time finding a line that I liked ,but the payoff is that I have a line that can single spey in tight areas, nymphs well, and overcasts as well.

If you guys are ever in Seattle and want to fish with any of the Allen gear (or just fish), hit me up as I fish with Evan on a regular basis.

-Terry

MAD Duo

Observer
Flagster-I'm in Flag as well. If your interested in wetting a line with a local, PM me. Maybe we can compare 7WT's when you decide on yours?:)

Hafwit

Adventurer
I should also point out that if you look at the Allen rods, they have their own reels as well. Recently they started offering a limited edition reel that looks quite nice. It is a distinctive light blue with red trim. I have nothing to do with the company, but my father's name is the same as the company's including the spelling, so that was an additional stimulus for me to purchase some of their equipment.

Cheers,
Greg

coho51

I'd go with a cabelas switch rod in 11' 6wt. You can use it either way, over hand or double handed. Just got back from fishing steelhead and was playing with the switch even though the Clearwater river is big river.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
MAD Duo...I got skunked on Oak Creek last week...fished about 3 hours in all my usual spots with no luck so started walking the stream just looking for any signs of life...nothing...maybe headed back to try the west fork this weekend...I am always up for pike on LM too...let me know...

Will write up my summary of the rs4 redington soon...haven't had a chance to get to big water but may head to lees ferry next weekend...

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Well I finally got around to putting my new Redington Rs4 to work. 9.0' 7 wt loaded with sinking line on a Bauer M4 superlite and fished all week at Lees Ferry, AZ. The rod does not have as much backbone as some of my pricier rods and need a bit more finesse to push a heavy sinking line with shot and a weighted nymph out there but does reasonably well for a rod I paid less than 100.00 dollars for on Sierra Trading Post. Anxious to experiment with some lighter lines but over all well worth the money. Typical quality build from Redington...not showy but a nice clean reel seat...classic colors and comfortable grip.
Handled the rainbows at Lee's Ferry fine...the bigger test will be Pike on Lake Mary.

Attachments

• P1000542.jpg
    P1000542.jpg
    509.8 KB · Views: 4

7wt

Expedition Leader
It's a shame you are looking for a longer rod. I have the perfect 7wt but it's 8'8" long. It's a Scott Heliply and what makes it special is that it is slightly soft for a 7wt compared to the modern super fast broomstick tapers. Awesome stick but like everything else that is truly sublime, they are made anymore.

MAD Duo

Observer
Hey Flagster-What sinking line are you using? I was looking into the Rio Outbound line. We gotta get together and hit up Lake Mary for some Pike!

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Lets do it...I am running a scientific anglers mastery series uniform sink...
I think...it might be an old tarpon series line I also had...have to check...
Have you hooked up with any pike lately...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste