OME configuration question

wilson

Observer
Im looking to put a complete old man emu lift kit on my 07 tacoma. I am also looking to put an aluminum relentless fab bumper and a couple lights on it at some point. Now, this bumper only weighs 55lbs according to the site. with this a relatively of weight do you feel it is even necessary to get the middle (firm) configuration meant for a steel bumper?

zolo

Explorer
Yep, the stock springs are way soft.
They drive better with a stiffer spring.
Even stock or with a light bumper the ride quality up front is an improvement.

keezer37

Explorer
Buy the bumper first and use the behavior of the stock coils as a point of reference for purchasing your aftermarket coils.

wilson

Observer
hmmmm... maybe I should be more clear about what I'm asking. the OME lift comes in three load rating of front coils.

1. stock bumper
2 aftermarket steel bumper
3 steel bumper and winch
* at least I read that somewhere

what do you think the cut-off weight would be to move from the 1st option to second option?

zolo

Explorer
Actually the stock struts and coils are pretty weak.

The medium load OME springs are a good choice.

The real question is what load will you be running constantly in the bed? As the newer Tacoma has a plastic bed and the OME springs can be a bit harsh with no load in the bed at all.

But for the front they ride better with a stiffer set up. So Light bumper on the front.
Id say the medium set up would be good.

Id give Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters a call. He is a dealer and savy on the different load ratings.

wilson

Observer
thanks for the feedback everyone,
my constant load in the back would be snug top shell and front runner roof rack. I'd say 250-300lbs. Ive taken the truck fully loaded for a 3-4 day trip through the scales and fully loaded with two adults I'm packin' 700 additional pounds.

zolo

Explorer
Well Id say with a shell and rack the OME leaf springs and shocks will be nice and not over kill.

A great thing to do while your back there changing the springs would be to buy a u bolt flip kit.
I run an All Pro kit. Its simple and a great way to clean up the bottom of the axle for off road use.

Cheers and post up some pics and feed back on what you end up with.

DirectDrive

Observer
The OP is considering a full OME kit so forget all the talk about stock suspension parts. They go away with a full OME kit.

The best way to discuss this is to use spring part numbers instead of light, medium etc. This could have a different meaning from one vendor to another.

The front OME springs commonly used for the 2nd gen Taco are :

884 = 590#
885 = 590# + 10mm longer
886 = 660#

Front:
I don't see enough info on your rig, so I'll guess 4x4 w/V6
For your rig, I would go with the 885 springs. You will get about a 2-1/2" lift with those.
The freshest kits are shipping with 885x (revised spring) and #90000 strut (upgrade from 140S)
886 is designed for a heavy steel bumper and winch (+200#)....you won't have enough weight up front.
You can add a 10mm or 13mm top spacer later if you want a little more height later, after the springs break in.
As you get above 3" with these 2nd gen Tacos, the half shafts get into an undesirable angle condition.
2-1/2" is a good target height.

Some report contact between the new coilovers and the anti-swaybar. There is a sway bar spacer kit for that issue.

There is a phenomenon called "Taco Lean". With the fuel tank, battery and driver on the left side many of these rigs exhibit the "Lean". There is an OME part called a "trim packer" that corrects for this. It's a special 1/4" spacer that goes on top of the driver's side spring seat prior to assembly.

The last item on the front is alignment. You lose caster adjustment when you lift the vehicle.
The fix is to go to an aftermarket Upper Control Arm. These restore caster adjustment.
The best deal on an adjustable UCA's is from Amazon $380 shipped. It's a Specialty Parts Co./Light Racing part.
The alignment numbers to pursue with a this lift are:

toe around 0*
camber around 0*
caster between 2.4 & 3.1*

Rear:
The simplest solution here is to simply go with the excellent OME Dakar springs and the matched N182 shocks.
This will get you about a 2-3/4" lift.
This will be fine with your "plastic bed" :) It's actually a rugged resin material that can be drilled and tapped for various goodies. The bed rail (similar to Unistrut) can be adapted to for heavier goodies like HiLift jacks, shovels, etc.

The other two solutions for the rear would be using an Add-A-Leaf in your present packs.
You either have a standard (2+1) pack or a "TSB" (3+1) pack.
If you are under warranty, you can complain of a "harsh ride" when loaded and Toyota will install the heavier springs, free of charge.
There are two types of AAL's one is for non-TSB and the other is for TSB springs.

Carrier Bearing Drop Kit this spacers your carrier bearing down to improve driveline angles if you get vibrations.
If you are a single cab you have a one-piece driveline and this does not apply.

Right now the best place to buy this kit is probably ToyTec.....they understand Tacos and have everything you need.
They will price match the Amazon deal on the UCA's.
If you're a member of Tacoma World forum you will get a discount as well.
They do phone as well as online....call to get your price adjustments.
You should get your struts assembled free with the full kit !

Good choice and good luck with the lift !

Last edited:

zolo

Explorer
DirectDrive.....WOW you know so much...I bet and I might be reaching here. That you work at ToyTec.

Rugged Resin Material....uhm plastic.

Owyhee H

Adventurer
DirectDrive.....WOW you know so much...I bet and I might be reaching here. That you work at ToyTec.

If he works at Toytec or not his info is good. The OME suspension is really nice and you will notice a much more controled ride. I think with the light relentless bumper you will like the 590# spring rate of the 883/884/885 coils. You may not need upper control arms either, I started with about 2.5" of lift and did NOT need aftermarket upper control arms, YMMV. Definelty use at least one trimpacker, I used one and have a little lean still. The OME rear shocks are amazing as well, even if you use an add a leaf the ride will be fine. Reasons for using an add a leaf would be cheaper $$ and you can still increase the carrying ability (not capacity) but with less lift.

zolo

Explorer
If he works at Toytec or not his info is good. The OME suspension is really nice and you will notice a much more controled ride. I think with the light relentless bumper you will like the 590# spring rate of the 883/884/885 coils. You may not need upper control arms either, I started with about 2.5" of lift and did NOT need aftermarket upper control arms, YMMV. Definelty use at least one trimpacker, I used one and have a little lean still. The OME rear shocks are amazing as well, even if you use an add a leaf the ride will be fine. Reasons for using an add a leaf would be cheaper $$ and you can still increase the carrying ability (not capacity) but with less lift.

No doubt his info is great. Its pretty much all the OP needs to know. As much info as possible will help him get the ride quality he wants. I just like being a smart *** sometimes....Well most times:sombrero:

Cheers, I guess Ive been spending to much time over at ADVrider....

Owyhee H

Adventurer
No doubt his info is great. Its pretty much all the OP needs to know. As much info as possible will help him get the ride quality he wants. I just like being a smart *** sometimes....Well most times:sombrero:

It came across clear, I enjoy a little smartassness. I might have come across too seriously.

DirectDrive

Observer
No I don't work for Toy Tec !! They should give me another discount after that spiel though, huh ? :)
I'm a simple carpenter that studies the product before the purchase. I just rec'd delivery of the above kit after a long study, mostly at Tacoma World because of the huge "Tacoma lift results" sampling over there.

Rugged Resin Material....uhm plastic.
No, it is definitely not UHMW. It is a resin material, Toyota claims. It "powderizes" when you drill it.
UHMW acts "moist" when you machine it. Long shavings,etc. I'm a carp and sometimes I have to machine UHMW :)
The bed material is harder and more resistant to scratching than UHMW. That's the first thing I noticed.
It has nothing in common with any other plastic that I've been around. It is a unique material, to be sure.

I think if you dig into the Toyota propaganda you will find the word resin in reference to the new beds.

DirectDrive

Observer

I see that you are a bunch of wiseasses over here :)
I did have to tell ya to ******** about the stock parts.....that might have set the tone.....yep I'm a wiseass myself :)

Tacoma World attracts a lot of kids that are into "looks". I'll take wiseasses that know their ******** any day.
(there are some sharp Taco guys over at TW, too)

zolo

Explorer
Actually I was agreeing about the stock parts being crap. As I stated it twice.

Resin or Plastic either way the point was the bed is light as hell and when you add the rear leafs with zero load it drives terrible.
I have drilled plenty into the bed and its done some crazy stuff to me. Cracked, turned to powder. Also the metal bed sides are light and pretty much a joke. They need to be protected.
I liked my stock bed so much after I removed it, the bed found a new home behind my shop holding the air down.

So some load as the OP stated he has is a good thing and the truck will ride very nice.

As for the Tacoma world kids. Well who cares.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles