Rtt questions for those that have them

98dango

Expedition Leader
CVT/Mt. Rainier Roof Top Tent.

My Father offred me his today. He can no longer get in it comfortably. He wants to put the topper back on his Comanche and make a sleeping platform. I am currently building a s10 blazer that will be very modified. I don’t know if it will be something I use. I tend to do more of a roving camp but with my daughter coming along more that may change. So my question is for those of you with them. How much do you use them. I am also concerned about my 2 year old daughter 8 feet off the ground sleeping. My dad tells me it sets up fast but will add weight to the top of my rig. I know I will need to build some sort of rack and other mods to make it work on my truck. I also don’t know if I want to make It work on my truck. I could build a trailer for it or just tell him to pass it to one of his friends who want it.

My typical camping trip the truck is moved every day. Allissa my daughter dose not hike much but she loves to go. In the past I have always loaded up the truck or left the tent behind. Returning to the same camp spot for a few days.

this is the exact tent he has

http://www.cascadiatents.com/index.php?m=81&s=518&c=&id=92&page=1

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Time for a cheapo trailer.

That would work! Especially for a 'base camp'

I have my RTT on an M416, I use it for both Base camp, and also drag it with from site to site each day.

Mine is a bit smaller than that one, and weighs in at 110 pounds.

Set up is a breeze! And you can leave sleeping bags/blankets inside when it's folded up.

My son (now 10) has been climbing in and out of our RTT for 6 years now, kids love climbing!

Granted, at 2 years old, it may be 2-3 years before your little one is ready to tackle the ladder alone, but I think you'll love having it, especially when having the family with.

Having it on a trailer would serve you well, you can bring it with when the family goes, and leave it behind when you go solo.

GroupSe7en

Adventurer
My only problem with those types of RTTs is that it's a giant brick you're pushing through the air.
Not bad if your plugging down the trail, but it's a killer if you're going to do a few hundred miles at 70mph.
Might be best to look at the trailer option.

Figure it out and post pics...:drool:

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
That is exactly what I am going to buy for my CDN m101...love those RTT's. I agree, if you are doing a lot of miles, a trailer will probably pay for itself in short order just in fuel savings alone! Plus it gets the RTT closer to the ground for your daughter.

Sweet deal, and thank you dad!

ranewman

Observer
I have the ARB version with the added room. If we are on the road, moving every day, we put it on the top of the discovery. If we are "camped" for any time, we mount it on our M101 trailer. My only peeve is with it on the trailer, the room is useless.
If your leaving it on the truck, the little ones could sleep in the attached room on a cot. Another option is in the truck itself, via access through the added room.
We have had ours for 2 years, and use it more than you could imagine. I even take it when attending the races in Richmond.
When on the truck....yes it blocks a little air and fuel usage goes up a bit. When on the trailer you never know its there. Wouldn't trade it all.....just saying....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles