Fog lights

86cj

Explorer
I spent some time looking around for Aux lights that would help the terrible low beams in bad weather and not offend oncoming traffic. I was not interested in any new technology and most of my searching seemed to center around HID and LED or cheap plastic Fog lights. I wanted a light with high quality optics that would not rust and give years of performance....
I decided to try Hella Rallye 4000 Compact lights in a clear FF Fog beam and could not be happier, they put out a nice usable even pattern with a distinct cut off and the light housing is higher quality than most. With the added money for the Hella HD universal harness (also of good quality), I could have bought some cheaper lights but these will be welcomed by other drivers. I found some Osram 65 watt Rallye H7 bulbs, but I don't think they are even a needed upgrade later, these lights work better than my terrible factory low beams now..

http://www.myhellalights.com/index.php/default/auxiliary-lamps/halogen-lamps/rallye-4000-compact-series/rallye-4000-compact-black/
I found the German made Fog beam Rallye 4000 compact at :http://www.rallylights.com/

Last edited:

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I'm in the same boat. I have no idea what fog lights (yellow lense) I can add down low on my bumper that are ok to use with traffic. Unlike giant offroad lights.

strider3700

Adventurer
I just put the hella 500ff's fog's and drivers on my truck last weekend. The fogs are street legal and make a huge difference with my crap stock low beams. The drivers aren't street legal as far as I can tell but work amazingly tied in with the highbeams. Right now I have all 4 uncovered on the front bumper.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
The 4000 foglight is decent.

Better is the Hella Micro DE fog; very nice and affordable.
If you can find the Bosch Compact 100 foglight, also a good choice.

Cibie makes a couple of excellent foglights as well.

And the guys at rallylights.com are great. Also shop at the Candlepowerstore and Daniel Stern Lighting; you can't go wrong.

86cj

Explorer
Based on my research the micro DE was the light to try, they would have looked better to, but I found a duct for radiator cooling right where the hole saw would have popped through the S-10 air dam. Plan B was on the bumper and pick a light that was not to big but still put out a good amount of light, the round Rallye 4000 compact lights just fit. I may try the Micro DE someday, and it will probably be from Rallylights.com the customer service is great....

4xdog

Explorer
... the only issue is heat cracks in the lens.

And you're happy with them? (smile)

I'm a big Hella fan. Used their stuff for many years with great results. Planning for 4000 Compact fogs on my 2001 Tacoma with ARB over the next couple of months. Susquehanna Motorsports has given me great service with Hella over the years.

Don

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I just put the hella 500ff's fog's and drivers on my truck last weekend. The fogs are street legal and make a huge difference with my crap stock low beams. The drivers aren't street legal as far as I can tell but work amazingly tied in with the highbeams. Right now I have all 4 uncovered on the front bumper.

Buy Hella's plastic grills for them or get something like Lamin-X film for them (http://www.lamin-x.com/Hella-RE-500-Headlight-Covers-p/he002.htm) unless you like broken lenses...

Alpentalic

I have a set of the Hella micro DE's on my 4runner.
While I like how they aluminate, after 4 years I have had a few issues with mine.
First, the ground at the light kept coming off the spade under the rubber cover on the back.
I finally ran a patch by soldering a patch in that I grounded off under one of the screws on the inside.
2nd, they don't seal well and the chemical deicer that DOT uses up here ends up getting in and corroding all of the connections.
I actually just had them apart tonight in order to get them operational again.

The best lights I've had so far are the Hella Rally 2000's, the yellow fogs are legal at 55w and are very effective.
The biggest issue is they are large and some times hard to fit under the bumper depending on the vehicle.
I don't think Hella makes them any more which is a shame, they are excellent in heavy fog, rain or whiteout conditions in the dark.

corprin

Adventurer
Jeep/Dodge has some of the worst headlights possible.

Agreed!

Best thing I ever did for my KJ was add 35w 3000K (yellow) H11 HIDs to the factory fog lights... now I can actually see when the weather turns sour on me.

IMG_3443.jpg

That is a dry road, imagine wet when all my light reflects off :(

IMG_3442.jpg

They are also properly adjusted and only used when needed. I don't like tools driving around in clear weather with their fogs on, and I miss the Polizei issuing tickets for doing the same.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Agreed!

Best thing I ever did for my KJ was add 35w 3000K (yellow) H11 HIDs to the factory fog lights... now I can actually see when the weather turns sour on me.

That is a dry road, imagine wet when all my light reflects off :(

They are also properly adjusted and only used when needed. I don't like tools driving around in clear weather with their fogs on, and I miss the Polizei issuing tickets for doing the same.
Interesting point of view, tool. Hmmm.
You do know that using that HID retrofit on the street (any time) is illegal, right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior