Fog lights

86cj

Explorer
I just drove two lane through the mountains of NY,VT,NH,ME on the shortest days of the year twice, the new lights got a work out in every weather condition and terrain with great results..
I came to realize of all the lights available today, very few are lights you would want to have shined in your own face. I was looking for some lights to help when the low beams are on, the Hella Compact 4000 Fog gives a wide even light with a sharp cutoff. I gave them a face test going the other way without issue.......

Years ago I had a truck driver tell me on the CB, if I knew how old his eyes were and how much weight he was hauling, I would have never shined my driving lights in his face. We were on a two lane in the Mtn's of WV and I was running 55w Piaa driving lights, good advice and I took it.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Yeah, PIAAs are notorious for being better at blinding oncoming drivers than for actually using to see with.

There's a long list of lights that aren't worth the cheese. Hella Black Magic, PIAA, IPF, Lightfarce, Delta, and possibly the stupidest you can buy, Fyrlyt.

Curious

Yeah, PIAAs are notorious for being better at blinding oncoming drivers than for actually using to see with.

There's a long list of lights that aren't worth the cheese. Hella Black Magic, PIAA, IPF, Lightfarce, Delta, and possibly the stupidest you can buy, Fyrlyt.

Here is a thread that will lead you to more information in regards to the above.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/light-force-hid-lights-1302630/index2.html

Worth a read of the other threads mentioned on page 3.

dyogim

Explorer
Micro DE's converted to HID's using DDM Tuning 35W

I have enjoyed the Hella micro DE's on the road especially with the cutoff's. I have the cutoff just below the headlight beams. Although, I'm thinking of swapping the 35W's for the 55W's.... I got the micro DE's for $50 on craigslist and the 35W HID kit for around $40-$50. Here's a pic of it mounted in the grill and a night shot against the garage door.

P7191507.JPG

P4261426.JPG

Ala5ka

VX'er
I have a set of Vision X Solstice Prime Pods, 200 for the set but damn they are bright little buggers, led so nearly no power usage, and great customer service. If you only need filler lights these work like a charm and don't break the bank.

zukrider

Explorer
for those running the micro DE's, or any light for that matter. i have an issue at night with faded lines, as well as finding most any lines when its medium to heavy raining. any recommendations for improving this, staying legal, and not breaking the bank?

Waldo64

for those running the micro DE's, or any light for that matter. i have an issue at night with faded lines, as well as finding most any lines when its medium to heavy raining. any recommendations for improving this, staying legal, and not breaking the bank?

Get TRUE HID projector lights! Seriously, although I am new on the 'building serious off-road vehicles' side of things, I have an extensive background in performance cars. Go HERE (http://www.theretrofitsource.com/retrofit_examples.php) and have a look at the retrofit applications. The difference is simply astounding. I have a 600hp twin turbo road beast that turns night into day with four HID lamps. Don't stick an HID bulb into a different housing, do it the right way. You will see more of the wet road than ever. Although technically retrofit HID projectors may not meet legal requirements, I have never heard of a PROPERLY INSTALLED AND AIMED light (and not some horrific blue color, but WHITE light) get ticketed for not being legal. They just work but don' draw attention to you.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
You can get legal HIDs too but not for foglights...
Hella 90mm lights are available in an HID version and they're exceptional.

Susquehanna Motorsports is putting together legal retrofit kits for vehicles with 7" round headlights. These will be legal to run in the US and Canada, bi-xenon flame-throwers.
contact Dave at Rallylights.com and ask or browse their website under headlight conversions.

I'll be testing their bi-halogen version soon. That will use a 65w H9 bulb @ 2100 lumen.

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
Rigid Industries SRM2...

All,

I just installed a pair of Rigid Industries SRM2 lights on my zero turn mower. I chose to do this because of the > 100 degree days this summer. I went with the diffused lens (1050 lumens). Mowing at dusk is a breeze with these on. I highly recommed these.

IMG_0472.jpg

IMG_0470.jpg

IMG_0469.jpg

IMG_0467.jpg

I am curious to see what the Dually D2 are going to be like. I have these installed on my rig. I will post up some pics shortly. I am sold on Rigid Industries.

Regards,

BWJ

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
24w each?
I wouldn't worry about them not being bright...
I'd worry about who made them, the heatsink, the basics of it. That's very inexpensive for that much light. Scary cheap.
It's certainly not legal to use on the road anywhere...

matt t

Observer
I just order the 27 watt version of those lights, they were rated at 2000 lumens. I put them in a front bumper that I am installing Thursday. I will take some pics and post them. You can buy them in a 5x5 square as well.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I just order the 27 watt version of those lights, they were rated at 2000 lumens. I put them in a front bumper that I am installing Thursday. I will take some pics and post them. You can buy them in a 5x5 square as well.
I wanna see them, Matt....

Who makes them? China sticker on them?

Gravel Slinger

Observer
Don't waste your $ on anything sold/marketed as offroad lights.
For years I've been using what's sold at our local mom & pop parts store as ag implement lights; they come with the flood bulb in 4.5" rubber mounting cups (~$25) and then get the airplane landing spot light seal beam bulbs (Wagner#4509) to go in them (~$15).
This is the way to go...cheap, bright, & last forever! Had them on several vehicles.
Last time the local store was out so I ordered online, just Google Wagner 4509. I keep the floods in for when using on rear.
winch.jpg
Toyota.jpg
rear lights.JPG

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader

Any pictures yet?

Thoughts on the lights, are they bright?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94