PirateMcGee's 2001 Montero Sport 3.5XS

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Added a full set of Bilsteins. Stock shocks were completely shot, compress easily by hand and never rebounded. Rides like a completely different vehicle now.....love it!

kxjaysun

Looks great! Got a question about the Aisin hubs though.... I was told that the Aisins wont work on the any sports above 2000, something about it conflicting with the AWD mechanism in the t-case. Have you had any issues with that, or was I misinformed?

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Looks great! Got a question about the Aisin hubs though.... I was told that the Aisins wont work on the any sports above 2000, something about it conflicting with the AWD mechanism in the t-case. Have you had any issues with that, or was I misinformed?

2000 and 2001 was available with the non awd. You do not want these hubs with AWD.

sxharr05

Adventurer
Looks great, McGee! I'm also running 265's with the boards removed on my XLS. Question for ya. Which Bilsteins did you go with? At nearly 120,000 miles I'm starting to think it's time to up grade.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Prepping ole Scooby for a trip to MT and back for a fishing trip with my Uncle and Dad. I haven't seen my uncle since I was probably 15 (I just turned dirty 30) nor my dad in about 2.5 years. Looking forward to getting back into MT and a nice road trip. Anyways onto updates:

Sitting at 137,000 miles....timing belt was done 58,000 miles ago, trying to decide if it's worthwhile to swap it before leaving or just do it when I get back (way I'm currently leaning).

All new sway bar bushings, brackets, and end links from Mitsu. This made a world of difference in the overall feel of the truck. Old ones were hard as a rock, split, and smooshed.
IMG_0154.jpg
Also built a mini drawer type system for under $100, very light weight, strong, ties into factory tie down locations plus rear seat brackets. Plenty of room in one for 2 pads, 2 chairs, awning, lantern, fuel, back up stove, water filter, batteries, and a propane bottle. Other will be used for clothes and dry food.
IMG_0155.jpg
IMG_0156.jpg
Added some rain guards
IMG_0159.jpg
And a custom fit cover craft solar shield (plus enjoyed relax mode of the seats for a few haha)
IMG_0153.jpg

Nothing huge but I want to keep this updated as an example of a cheap, dead reliable, capable, expo vehicle.

Last edited:

shmabs

Explorer
Let me know, its been some time but I'll help in any way I can. I heard through the grapevine my old truck got wrecked, I'm trying to find out where it ended up, I would love to have the locker/sliders/skids off of it.

Mike

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Let me know, its been some time but I'll help in any way I can. I heard through the grapevine my old truck got wrecked, I'm trying to find out where it ended up, I would love to have the locker/sliders/skids off of it.

Mike

If you find it and want to part with some stuff I would probably buy the locker and skids off you.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Well I went to pull my fan clutch to see if it was bad, discovered my radiator cap had fallen apart so decided to pull the radiator......then I figured meh might as well and am now pulling the timing belt, water pump, pulleys, adding a trans cooler, ultrasonic cleaning every bolt, covering any semblance of rust, replacing every clip, hose, and gasket I can get to while Mitsu still carries them. Be down for a few weeks but will be ready to go for a long long time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles