mounting cans to doors

BurbanAZ

Explorer
I havent built my rear bumper yet but id like a place to mount some cans for fuel and water, i was thinking of just mounting to one of the barn doors. Has anyone done this? or have any idea how if the door would be able to support a can on it?

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
On the newer rigs probably not too well unless you added some internal bracing. I could see sheetmetal damage happening and the can/holder parting ways somewhere in your journey, especially on bumpy roads. Sheetmetal thickness isn't what it used to be on newer vehicles.

stewwalker

Observer
I was wondering the same thing earlier today. I'm pretty sure you would have to put a plate on the inside of the door so it would have more strength to hold a full can. (30 to 40 lbs.) I have heard of astro van guys mounting their spares on the barn doors, not sure how exactly they did it though.

98dango

Expedition Leader
i have seen your fab skills you can build a bumper with a swing out. You will be much happier with this than mounting to the doors.

BurbanAZ

Explorer
yea ill probably just wait till i build something, id hate to try and rig something up on one of my doors and have it pull big pieces or sheet metal out of the door

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
The door hinges on our Chevy vans are fairly weak. Are the hinges on Tahoes/Excursions/Suburbans stronger?

BurbanAZ

Explorer
probably not, if u think the chevy van hinges are weak then its probably the same with any of the other vehicles with barn doors

BurbanAZ

Explorer
i do like that kind of hinge, im going to build a rear bumper and then do a swingout with a hinge like that

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior