new Pathfinder Concept coming

haven

Expedition Leader
pathfinderconcept.jpg

Nissan is saying they will bring a new concept for the Pathfinder SUV to the Detroit Auto Show on Jan 9. The concept, "...takes all of Pathfinder's traditional SUV hallmarks and wraps them in a new platform and dramatic new aerodynamic body,"

Translation: Nissan plans to move the Pathfinder to a new unibody platform, and leave the F-Alpha body on frame chassis for the Titan pickup and the new NV panel trucks. The new Pathfinder is expected to arrive in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model.

drbandkgb

Xterra Junky
I work at the plant... If you have seen a Infinity JX.. You have seen the new Pathy
I had this pathy go right by me in a crate last week..
PS we dont start testing it on the line till summer.. So it will be a Very late 2012

The Smyrna Plant will be all Unibody after August... They are moving the Xterra and Frontier to Canton MS

haven

Expedition Leader
Here's the Infiniti JX

Infiniti-JX.jpg

It's a largish SUV, equipped with a small third row of seats. It's designed to compete with upscale models like the BMW X5, Audi Q7, Acura MDX, and Volvo XC90. Other vehicles that might be compared to the JX are the Land Rover LR4, the Lexus GX460, even the Cadillac SRX. Starting close to $40K, it looks like the V6 powered JX will be cheaper than all of these competitors. FWD is standard, AWD is an option.

I wonder how much less the starting price of the new Pathfinder will be. Current Pathfinders start below $29,000.

Silver dude

Xplorer
Pathfinder = Mallfinder

Sad really was so good for so long. I still think of early pathys as Nissans best backwoods truck.

RIP pathfinder.

haven

Expedition Leader
Nissan still makes the XTerra, so I guess they decided the Pathfinder didn't need to be based on a truck chassis. This might be good news, since now they can make a longer wheelbase version of the XTerra without competing with the Pathfinder. The Xterra's wheelbase is 106 inches, the Frontier 125 inches.

crackerjack

Observer
I would love to see nissan go in the opposite direction with the re-modeled Xterra. solid front axle with locking front diff, diesel option, two batteries and a snorkel. Basically akin to the safari/patrol. I know I'm dreaming, lol.

drbandkgb

Xterra Junky
Keep dreaming on the Solid Axle.. The pathy was made a crossover because ALL car makers have to get the MPG up.. as a whole..
And come on.. the Pathy hasnt been a true off road SUV since the 90s..

Why would you want a longer wheel base in the XTERRA? IF anything id like to see it turned into a 2 door.. make the top removable :D
That would be sweet to wheel :) and the short wheel base would be nice on the trails..

HUMMER-HX-Concept-6.jpg

Some what in this direction..

Either way the new X (2014) will need to get the MPG's in the mid 20's to live on..

Oh PS NISSAN is working on a 4 cyl diesel with cummings.. http://www.green.autoblog.com/2011/...8-mpg-2-8-liter-4-cylinder-diesel-for-nissan/
I could see this working in a X :)

fishy_frontier

Adventurer
Kinda sad to see them take the Pathy in that direction. But the majority of the Pathfinders are driven by families anyway. Hopefully they'll make up for it with the next gen Xterra and Frontier.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Makes sense. I still can't figure out what niche the 05+ Pathy is supposed to fill. I would have considered one when replacing my Tacoma except for the independent rear suspension. That killed it for me.

It's kind of like my brother-in-law's late-model Explorer. It has a low range position in the transfer case. Why? I know for certain he's never used low range and never will because he only drives it on the street. I doubt he's ever had it on anything rougher than a dirt road (and not many of them, for sure.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne