Where to start? Noobie looking to build / buy trailer

winnipegtibook

New to the forum (but looove all the builds / suggestions). Absolute newbie, never had a trailer before, considering building / buying "something" to be used for occasional weekend stuff, no Baja adventures (yet). Not wanting to spend tons of $$$ and love the idea of doing this on the cheap. SUggestions? Ideas? (note - i am emailing from central cold canada...where even old military trailers seem to go for $2 grand. Absurd me thinks).

I have probably looked at a 1,000 posts before asking.

EWS

Observer
Hi.

Still a newbie with all this, and UK based , but I have built my own , a KISS style , a small military, box style trailer, using new and second user steel, no problem to fit rails to attach a RTT, though not required in my case.

Link-http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/64134-First-Trailer-Build

With basic leaf spring suspension, a box on wheels to match my Land Rover Defender., I accept leaf springs and a beam axle have limitation, but cost came into to the equation, and the suspension set-up would be capable to cope with any terrain I would encounter in the UK.

I based my simple build on this post on another forum.

Link- http://www.wildyoats.com/off_road_trailer_build.htm

Impressed with what people have done with adapting a small trailer from such companies as “Harbour Freight”, as all they need is a trailer that can be used off road, and they will not be taking the truck / trailer over extremes of terrain., and can use the trailer for a trip to the dump or general use., assuming you do not need it outfitted with every thing including the kitchen sink

Link- http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/70824-My-little-Harbor-Freight-trailer-build

There are other posts on a similar vein, as you have probable seen. The first question you must ask yourself is “what do I want from the trailer”, a basic trailer, with offroad capabilities, or do you want all the bells and whistles including the kitchen sink, shower and full catering facilities ,or happy with basic leaf sprung suspension to just carry your kit ,or want to fit air bags and independent suspension , a massive choice and difference in cost.

Romer

Adventurer
Kurt from cruiser outfitters has a great thread somewhere about Roof Top Tents. They are not for everyone. I had an AT Horizon trailer with a RTT as my primary camper and decided I wanted something with more room and creature comforts, so I bought a Kimberley Kamper. I sometimes camp with my grown daighters and when they take the bed, I slept on the ground in the changing romm and didnt care for it.

With that said, I do sometimes go expedition wheeling with my friends in places I can't take a trailer, so I do have an ARB Simpson for that.

Some questions to answer:
1) is this just for you or others? The more people, the less you may like a RTT. Maybe a trailer and an OZ tent with Cots
2) Are your kids yound (if you have them). Even though they are not built well for the trail, the pop ups made for "off road" have more room for a family with a kitchen area and table, couch and seperate beds and a heater.
3) Is a heater improtant. We were camping with friends and after one cold night his wife said to they were moving into town for the rest of the trip
4) Do you plan to expedition wheel, different place each night OR set up a base camp and go from there

Just some thoughts

winnipegtibook

Thanks everyone!

1) Two adults, one small child
2) Off road pop up sounds interesting, I have already started searching the forum for ideas.
3) heater - maybe, not sure how much we will actually use it yet (probably just weekend stuff).
4) Base camp or travel? Probably set up camp and hang out for a couple of days

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Kurt from cruiser outfitters has a great thread somewhere about Roof Top Tents. They are not for everyone.

The article your referring too:
Is a Roof Top Tent for me? The RTT Conundrum

I also did a similar article on off-road trailers:
Will An Off-Road Trailer Work For Me? The Off-Road Trailer Conundrum

The trailer article is getting a refresh and update as it will be appearing in a small but growing magazine this coming year. I'll post a link when it happens. Hope these are useful in molding your decision around your personal needs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne