Hi-lift Storage

Howski

I just wanted to see what ideas people had for storing hi-lifts. It doesn't really fit in my cargo area in the back of my Disco unless it is diagonal. This works fine just driving around town when I have little in my truck but I'm trying to decide on a cargo storage solution for my rig and this option is simply in the way no matter what set-up I decide on. It's a 48" and won't fit vertical in the back which is an option I had originally considered. So how do all of you have yours stored? Of course pictures would be very helpful

Ray_G

Explorer
The lash down points I mentioned in my response to your other thread in storage; they're for the hi-lift laid down across the floorboards of the rear passenger seat. I've got the longer one and it just fits door to door while loaded inside the jackguard (http://www.jackguard.com/). This makes it quiet, easier to move, and doesn't matter if the kids step on it with their muddy feet. No pics of it though, sorry. As infrequently as I use the hi-lift I've considered going down to the 48" size just to make it even more manageable.

I had previously had it on my roof rack-which looks cool but is a PITA to mount/remove, and exposes it to way too much of the elements in my opinion. Securing it low on the floorboards helps keep the COG low, in the middle of the truck, etc.
r-
Ray

fishEH

Explorer
Mine's going on the spare tire. Take it off when not on the trail. $afari Gaurd used to make one.

Howski

The lash down points I mentioned in my response to your other thread in storage; they're for the hi-lift laid down across the floorboards of the rear passenger seat
I guess I don't see the lash down points you were refering to. I was considering perhaps some places to mount it on the kind of angled portion of the floor leading up to the rear seats. It's usually just my dog in the back of my rig when I'm wheeling but I figure that'd be a little more out of the way just in case.

Do you know if anybody currently makes the Hi-Lift holder for a DII? I have seen them here and there in classified sections but have always been afraid of bending my door hinges.

Ray_G

Explorer
The lash down points are aftermarket, should have specified that. I've also put webbing with grommets through the holes the seats bolt into that strap it down to the angled portion that you refer to as well-it also works.

Regarding hi lift holders, I don't know about the DII (I've always stuck with DI's) but you might want to him this guy up: http://www.d-90.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34307&referrerid=3503
and see about your bolt pattern.
r-
Ray

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
On my XJ, I had it mounted to the roof rack. Held on with one 'quick nut' I fabbed up, so it was secure yet easily accessible.

IMG_20111108_144121.jpg

On my CJ, it's mounted vertically on the swing out tire carrier: (of course, it's not in this pic! It mounts next to the axe.)

IMG_20110903_130025.jpg

It mounts with base sliding over 2 pins, and a 'quick bolt' holding the bar. Makes for quick removal when needed.

On my TJ, it will mount on the tire carrier as well. It currently has a mount built in, but needs some modification to work with the hardtop glass hatch.

I use a 'dry-lube' on the jack, and it keeps it working well, without collecting dirt.

I have seen them mounted horizontally on the front/rear bumpers, I personally don't care for this, as it really collects a lot of road/trail grime.

PHXtaco

Adventurer
Can't quite tell from your avatar picture, but if you have an ARB type front bumper, you could mount it there.

hilftsvl.JPG

97tjguzzy

Explorer
anyone have any good methods to mount them inside a TJ? I have tried a few things and Just havent found a good easily accessible place for it in the Jeep. I dont want it outside the jeep. Any pictures?

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
I have a 1" body lift on my TJ. Because of this I now can mount it on my rear bumper without it interfering with my tailgate. One of the bolts has a hole though it for a padlock. In my H3 I have the short HiLift and it sits behind the rear seat attached to the tie-downs. The HiLift has a neoprene cover over the lift mechanism which is the part that gets all the lube and grime.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
anyone have any good methods to mount them inside a TJ? I have tried a few things and Just havent found a good easily accessible place for it in the Jeep. I dont want it outside the jeep. Any pictures?

A 'Good Spot' that's 'easily accessed' and 'inside' a TJ, I haven't found one yet.

Right now, the tire carrier rack for the Hi-Lift on my TJ, is designed for a soft top. The lift gate glass would hit the jack, and not be able to open/close.

I have been storing my 48" Hi-Lift laying cross wise, behing the roll bar just inside the tub, and have a heavy snubber holding it down.

It's a tight squeeze getting it in there, really only fits in one way with the hard top on.

I stick the top end in first, to the driver side, then swing the base into the Jeep, and get it between the roll bar and tub lip, then bring the top end down, watching out for the electrical hook up.

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
I seldom use the hi-lift, but would never be without it. Due to the deign and shape, they are prone to dirt accumulation and due to construction they are pretty heavy. I keep my beam on the roof rack and the handle, foot, jack mechanism, and top in the hi-lift accessory bag inside the truck. For me, several things are accomplished: the mechanism stays clean and readily serviceable, the weight of a potential missile is much reduced in case of an accident, and the potential for theft is also reduced.

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
container09.jpg

Here's a pic of mine in the rear bumper. Before that setup, I had it exactly like Bill.Hill.E described.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles