Edge Star fridge, what say? who has one?

Pedro

Capitan rally fluffer
If I were trekking across the Atacama, I would choose an Engel/ARB/NL fridge. But I carry our perishables on road trips, rally races. The rest of the time it functions as a garage fridge. 3 years, 6 rallies and still working perfectly. Refrigeration technology isn't exactly new or cutting edge. I expect that the EdgeStar will last with this usage for quite a while to come.

What it isn't:
Not the most energy efficient fridge for it's size
Not the most modern looking
Not the most capacity for exterior size
Does not have many direct fit accessories

I still have mine fitted to an engel slide lock for the truck, replaced the 12V plug, and working on a transit cover since I have a shop available to me. If money was no issue, I would have definitely purchased up if for nothing other than the ease of fitting accessories. But I live with a budget and this price ($300 at the time) was a non issue to purchase. I am very happy with the way it has performed. I am not sure what metric to assign to it though. I plug it in, and it cools stuff.

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
I think JH brings up valid points, particularly about entry cost not being the final true cost. But often, much like some people using low price as the deciding factor, others simply use the "get what you pay for" logic. Both are overly simplistic.

A $200,000 Ferrari is certainly not more reliable than a $20,000 Camry. In fact, by many/most measures, it isn't even "better." Like many things, once you go above a certain point you start paying A LOT for little return or for options/special equipment. If you have no use for those add-ons, it's wasted money. And, frankly, sometimes some things are just plain overpriced and others are darn good bargains.

I don't know this, but I would venture the compressor in the Edgestar is not built to the same standards as others. But it may very well be built "good enough" for most users. Most of the Edgestar issues have nothing to do with a compressor failing. Issues are typically assembly related (wires not being tightened) or user related (wrong gauge wire). These are easily remedied or avoided.

I would rather have an ARB than my Edgestar. I would also rather have a Ferrari than a Camry. But much like the 200K Ferrari, an $800 fridge just isn't going to happen. For any item, we each have a cutoff price as to its worth to us. For a camping fridge, even if there wasn't a $300 option, my personal cutoff for such an item is well below the price of the others.

CaliMobber

Adventurer
For me if the ARB, engle or other didnt cost twice as much, Id might be more willing. I can say they are not twice as good as my edgestar. True they are prob better but not $400 better. I paid $380 shipped to my door. An ARB would cost over $800 with shipping.
Also I have heard many stories of problems happening and a full refund was given, so I feel pretty safe about my decion.

Ive had my 43qt for almost a year and its been great. I had to run a better wire and still need to replace the 12v plug but It has basically been perfect. It has lived in my 4runner the whole year and been on maybe 15 camping trips(yea I camp allot).

One lesson ive learned is when its 100F outside filling it with warn beer takes it maybe 6 hours to cool lol.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
jonathan makes good points, the highest priced items arent always the best, the lowest priced items are typically crap, in fact its the middle of the road prices that seem to carry the greatest value. i read the OJ fridge tests where the edgestar was tested and some things printed were just plain wrong, but the overall test result was spot on in my opinion.

the edgestar fridge is a piece of kit that is cost effective for the budget minded user who knows he/she may have to make a few minor repairs or deal with some shortcomings but is ok with that. i bought mine because it was my first fridge, i didnt know if i would be sold on fridge camping, electrical usage ect. i thought if i did like it i would sell the edge and get a name brand unit, i havent yet and still enjoy the edgestar. it uses more power for a couple reasons, compressor cycles and insulation value, but it will do 1.5-2 days and thats fine with me.

the mechanical workings of the fridge are nothing new to the industry, anyone can make claims that they use brand X this or foo-foo that but the edge uses the same basic principal and mechanics of cooling air that is in the fridge in your home, its reliable, period. i would not spend more that $500 for an edge, but if you can score one for under $450 delivered i think its still a good option for alot of folks out there.

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Explorer
I'm with CaliMobber, MarcFJ60, and HenryJ..
I think what often happens is someone's "miserable luck" is merely a bad DC plug or something of the like (I've also seen an occasional issue with the plastic hardware). Usually it's something that's easily fixable and made better in the process (new/better plug, redoing the existing plug/jack using a pigtail, buying metal handles at Lowe's and drilling the handle plate to fit, etc.)... Some would rather call it a piece of ____ and then go spend another double (triple in total) what they paid for the Edgestar instead of spending $5-20 to remedy some issue they might've had with it.

Honestly I think ALL of these units are overpriced when you consider the fact there are far larger and much more energy-efficient-per-cu-ft 110V fridges out there that are also both a fridge AND freezer for the same cost or less than this Edgestar unit... I've had non-outdoorsy friends/relatives question my sanity to spend in excess of $400 on this "dinky little thing" that's really nothing more than a DC-capable mini-chest freezer with the thermostat set to fridge temps. The ARB and especially that Luna one just take this to much higher extremes.

With all that said, I certainly agree some of the Edgestar's features could've been better thought out (like a recessed pocket for the power connections so the dang things aren't sticking out of the side where they'll get stepped on, jammed in, broken off, etc.), however I'm not sure if a recessed pocket is worth another $400 to me either.

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
I think magazines, and now websites as well, have to deal with a viewing base that is pretty broad. This site has some pretty hard core travelers. But it also has people, like me, who just camp a few times per year.

A magazine or website can't really cater to any specific group. I like reading about a lot of the high end products as much as I like reading about the many of the trips I know I'll never take. But if all the reviews dismissed anything that couldn't handle a trip up Everest, it wouldn't really help all the plain-Jane campers out there. Likewise, if all they reviewed were Coleman and Ozark Trail camping supplies, that wouldn't be very helpful to the people who have higher spec requirements. But both have their place.

In the most recent Overland Journal, they reviewed roof racks. Of the four or so, they actually made note on two - one as "Best" (or their pick) and one as a "Value." (although it was still a $1000 rack). I think that's a better way to review products when you have a diverse base.

I think of Fridges like winches: A $1200 Warn winch may be the "Best" winch, at least for somebody who uses one all the time in remote places. But a $300 import may be the "Best" for somebody who may use it once a year and wants cheap peace of mind "in case" they ever need it.

TurboChris

Adventurer
Had mine for over a year. Probably 10 days offroading. Replaced the plug with a nice Marine unit. It's a GREAT deal.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
I think of Fridges like winches: A $1200 Warn winch may be the "Best" winch, at least for somebody who uses one all the time in remote places. But a $300 import may be the "Best" for somebody who may use it once a year and wants cheap peace of mind "in case" they ever need it.

That's quite often true. However, there's another factor at work for me, and I'll admit up front it's a personal decision. I loathe companies that buy someone else's product - such as, say a Warn M8000 winch - and then have it reverse-engineered in a Chinese factory and produced to a price point, while quite frequently cutting costs on the unseen components. Even if such a winch might suffice for casual use, the ethics of the business model repel me. In fact, even if it were exactly the same quality as the Warn for half the price I wouldn't be interested. Again, if I were on a tight budget I'd look for a used Warn . . .

camper357

Observer
I agree. I just picked up a used norcold 60 in good shape for considerably less than it would have cost to get a new edgestar 63. Based on my research I feel better with a used proven product that a new questionable product.

That's quite often true. However, there's another factor at work for me, and I'll admit up front it's a personal decision. I loathe companies that buy someone else's product - such as, say a Warn M8000 winch - and then have it reverse-engineered in a Chinese factory and produced to a price point, while quite frequently cutting costs on the unseen components. Even if such a winch might suffice for casual use, the ethics of the business model repel me. In fact, even if it were exactly the same quality as the Warn for half the price I wouldn't be interested. Again, if I were on a tight budget I'd look for a used Warn . . .

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
Staying away from the talk on what type of fridges, here's my experience with my Edgestar 43qt...

Bought last July (2010), put on the front rack of my trailer, fully exposed to the elements, and driven from Portland, OR to Tahoe, with a couple hundred miles offroad (dirt, dust, etc), some heavy thunderstorms, etc.
Used a few times in summer of 2010 as a camp fridge (maybe 2-3 trips), then put in the garage, filled with beer, and it sat there until this spring, when I put it back on the front rack of my trailer.

Since May of 2011, it's sat outside in the PNW (plenty of rain), running nonstop. On top of that, I put about 7,000 miles on it behind my rig, probably 2-3,000 of that offroad (mostly FS roads), in the rain, snow, mud, dirt, dust, etc. The vents sit directly behind my driver's tires when on the trailer, and at one point I tried to use magnet sheets to cover the vents to protect it from the elements, but they kept coming off, so I gave up and decided that the fridge will either survive or it won't. At one point on the WABDR last summer, the fridge got hit with branches so hard, it broke the handle off (branch caught the tiedown strap and broke the handle)

I live in the wet and wonderful Pacific Northwest, and just this last weekend took it out to the beach driving through a non-stop rain for hours. Over Thanksgiving, I drove it 250 miles to the Olympic National Forest and it rained the entire way...not light drizzle, but major 'windshield wipers on high' rain for 5 hrs. And when it's not being towed behind my rig, it sits outside in the rain 24/7 keeping my backup beer cold :)

I can't speak for anyone else's experiences, but mine have been entirely positive. I decided not to baby the fridge, and even after only a year and a half feel I've easily gotten my money's worth. Given how much I camp (40+ nights last year, likely 100+ nights in 2012), I would have already spent $400 in ice alone for my coolers.

Of course, now that I posted something nice about it, it will probably break. Nice thing about fridges though, they have like 5 parts, so are relatively easy to fix/repair :)

Bennyhana

Adventurer
To be honest Dave when I saw that thing on your trailer at the NW rally, covered in a layer of dust, I thought for sure you'd be looking for a new fridge soon. My edgestar has been doing great for 3 years now. While mine lives a more "cush" life than Dave's it has survived numerous offroad adventures and family camping trips. When not in the back of the Jeep, it runs 24/7 in the garage as my beer fridge. It also doubles as my sticker display.

Things I've noticed over the last 3 years with my fridge. 1st, It's definetly alot louder when it's running than when it was new. 2nd, It's seems to run alot more to maintain a set temp. And 3rd, YES the 12 volt cable really does suck! (replaced for free by compact appliance)

Vince1

Adventurer
Simple design and works like a charm. The people that typically dog them are non-owners, those that shelled out twice as much for a hyped brand.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
The people that typically dog them are non-owners, those that shelled out twice as much for a hyped brand.

Actually not. I have a multi-megabyte file in which I note the performance or failures of all kinds of equipment, collected from a wide range of sources, from personal anecdotes to Consumer Reports. I've been doing it since I first started writing equipment reviews for Outside and National Geographic Adventure.

I will say that most of the bad reports I've heard regarding the Edge Star have involved peripheral systems such as wiring and plugs, and poor workmanship. But in terms of performance they definitely seem to be power hungry, which is most likely attributable to marginal insulation or sealing.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
And have you owned or used extensively an Engel or ARB, both of which I own? I'm afraid you missed the point, which is that any single person's experience - my own most definitely included along with yours - is merely anecdotal. I know personally a young woman who put 140,000 completely trouble-free miles on a Yugo. Does that mean Yugos are great cars? Probably not. Do I need to have owned one to conclude that? Probably not.

Only a very large number of individual experiences can be considered statistically significant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles