Edge Star fridge, what say? who has one?

mjmcdowell

Explorer
I got a 43 qt. Edge Star fridge early this past fall and so far so good it works as intended and has been over some rough trails mounted in my truck behind the Passengers seat, perfect fit!. Prior to my purchase I heard and read many more positive than negative feedback accounts on them. Price was a consideration I paid a little over $400 w/ shipping. With all that being said does any one here on Expo have one? if so how has it held up for you? how much have you used it, how long on a trip have you used it , all that good stuff. If you like it tell me, if not tell me also and why. I think I made a good choice, $8,9c or $1k is a little steep for me to pay for the other brands. I only will use it 4/5 times a year some over nights and a week or 2 trip maybe. Thanks all, merry Christmas all, stay safe, mjmcdowell

mjmcdowell

Explorer
Edge Star fridge

Yeah...... I read them all, and more..... was hoping that some of the members here have some input on them also. mjmcdowell

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
My 43qt Edgestar totally rocked! I wish I still had it. It went with my old trailer and the new owners are loving it now.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
:) that just might be the point. I never had a problem with mine in all the years of service.

mjmcdowell

Explorer
ES fridge feedback

Henry J, Ahhh... someone I am familiar with from the old S-10/Sonoma forum, thanks for the input.
Did you bounce your trailer and fridge over the trails on your trip to MOAB? Some friends of mine and I are going to be there for a week or so next March, this will be it's test of reliability, hope I am as pleased with it as you were." Merry Christmas" to you, your wife and son. stay safe, mjmcdowell

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
It bounced its way through the swell in Utah. Rougher trails on the Owyhee Headwaters / Twin Spring and Steens mountain trips in Oregon though. No problems for me. I don't hit things very hard pulling the trailer. It rarely leaves the ground ;) I think you'll be fine.

tap.JPG

Mine is still in the family. My sister bought it and took it to the west side of the state. They usually make a trip or two with us each year. I think that fridge is the one thing I miss the most. Ammonia absorption is just not the same.

I hope you have a Merry Christmas too!

Last edited:

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
The problem with a lot of these sorts of bargain products, whether it's a fridge or a winch, is that some people have great luck with them, others have miserable luck, and rarely anything in between. You're rolling dice when you put low price at the top of the priority list - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I know guys who swear by their $50 air compressors, their $300 winches, and their $400 fridges. But many others wind up cursing their choice.

I don't know of any statistically valid summaries of Edge Star reliability, so you more or less need to check as many threads on them as possible and decide that way. Certainly a lot more people seem to have had problems with them than with Engel, ARB, or National Luna models. And it sure would be a pain to have your fridge fail with two weeks worth of perishables in it in the middle of a remote trip. Yet I'd never second guess someone who wants a fridge and simply can't afford National Luna prices - although personally my choice in such a situation would be to look for a used name-brand model rather than a new bargain brand.

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
I have one and its been reliable on a variety of trips from days to 3 weeks over the last few years. Not perfect though -- the supplied 12V plug didn't make a good electrical connection in the outlet so I replaced it with one from West Marine. Overall I like it.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
The problem with a lot of these sorts of bargain products, whether it's a fridge or a winch, is that some people have great luck with them, others have miserable luck, and rarely anything in between. ...
Count me on the "great luck" side. $25 air compressor, $400 winch, $25 HID headlamp, $75 HID offroad lights, $5 LED rock lighting, $265 open box fridge , $100 UHF/VHF HT and the list goes on... lots of research and some common sense. Sometimes some minor problems like fuses and plugs can be inexpensively upgraded if needed. I am able to do that easily.
I'll spend the saved money for traveling :)

Xterabl

Adventurer
What can you say? Some people prefer overlanding over uberlanding.
But if you tally the ratio of national luna complaints vs. national luna postings, I think there might be surprise (unless the post was purged) if you compare it to that for Edgestar.
Why??? Well, obviously not because National Luna fridges are made worse than the Edgestars. It's simply because most here can't afford the damn things. And so there are hardly any posts on the National Luna fridges. But when uberlander magazine does an unbiased comparison and gives the highest priced product the top rating (gee what a surprise), well, some folks will just go and bet the farm and buy it now, won't they? And guess what? When the product doesn't quite perform to uber expectations? Well, we're gonna definitely hear about it.

And by the way: I love mine! ZERO issues!

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Well, the very simple fact is that the most expensive product quite often displays the best quality and function. That's no surprise either, surely?

But the perception many have that the most expensive product always wins is false. A couple of years ago when the subject came up, I went through 15 or 20 gear reviews I had written for several magazines. Only about 60 percent of the time did the most expensive product win my price-no-object top choice. Given the expected price/quality relationship, I think that's telling.

Another other factor that's all too easy to miss: The most expensive product can quite often turn out to be the least expensive in the long run, if it not only outperforms but also outlasts lesser-quality, lesser-priced alternatives. Good down sleeping bags are a perfect example.

As is, perhaps, the 12-year-old Engel fridge owned by a friend of mine . . .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior