Finally got my 4x4...

_prophet

Helllooo... I used to lurk on the site awhile back. Now It's a good time to join in the fun. We finally got rid of the small Civic and scored this '99 GMC Yukon. Its a solid fit of a vehicle for us. We really wanted 4x4 and barn doors. I hope to get some good info here on expo. The build up will be slow going but im interested in cheap things to do thatll enhance the truck for weekend jaunts out into the desert. Its bone stock except for the tint. Just took it out today for the first time on a random trail. It's a nice adrenaline rush driving that big thing on a narrow, far from flat desert trail. Any pointers or good things to know about my (new to me) truck? Thanks!

truck.jpg

98dango

Expedition Leader
Watch the front axels. Just keep up on it and check it over often. You will get lots of service out of it

BigTex

Observer
Agree with 98dango, and add all the front steering components. Other than that, as far as "cheap" things to do, you can crank the torsion bars some to get a little more lift in the front, but make sure you get it aligned as soon as you do it. Then keep your eyes out for a good set Craigslist all terrain, or mud terrain tires. Depending on storage space, you could find another set of wheels to mount mud tires on and swap to them before your outings. Keep the tires you have now for daily driving, toting the family around. I'd look for a high-lift jack, come-a-long, and some basic recovery and first aid equipment for when your on the trail. Enjoy it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier