MAN-VW 8.136 FAE 4x4 German Overlander spotted 12/10/11 Seattle, WA

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I was in Seattle for the day and while driving down on the waterfront, spotted this amazing MAN-VW 8.136 FAE 4x4 w/ custom camper box.
Unfortunately the owners weren't near it; I would have loved to have spoken with them about their travels, their truck, etc.

Man1.jpg

Man2.jpg

Man3.jpg

I knew about the VW LT's(cab looks basically the same), but I wasn't aware of the MAN-VW partnership until now.
Does anyone else know more about the 4x4 system, no portals I assume?
From this thread looks like front/center/rear diff locks? http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/62878-4x4-Heavy-Truck-or-Medium-Duty
Hydraulic I assume?

I found a tasty ex-firetruck for sale too. A perfect base to build a custom overlander;
http://autoline.info/sf/municipalutility-machinery-fire-truck-MAN-VW-MAN-8-136-FAE-4x4-11102813543463860700.html

Anyways, is the owner on here? I'd love to hear more!

Best,
Jeremy

adam88

Explorer
I saw this same camper in Surrey, British Columbia. Looks like they are making their way around. No info about it.

Lothar May

a little bit late

Hello together,

sure i am a little bit late, but i just saw this thread on Google.

Ist my truck which was seen in Seattle around Christmas 2011. Me and my wife are on a longer trip through the Americas. We started in Mai 2010 in Halifax (Nova Scotia) and about 2 weeks ago, we were lucky to reach Colombia. On out trip until now, we did about 50.000 miles and wie NEVER had Trouble with other People!
So we will stay on the road for the next years and hope to reach Tierra del Fuego at Christmas 2014.
If someone wants to see more of our travel you can visit our Blog : www.crossamerika.wordpress.com (Sorry, ist in german, but google translate should help)
Otherwise any questions will be answered here (at the Moment, i dont't know, how it works but i will see).

Sorry for my bad english!

Lothar

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Hello together,

sure i am a little bit late, but i just saw this thread on Google.

Ist my truck which was seen in Seattle around Christmas 2011. Me and my wife are on a longer trip through the Americas. We started in Mai 2010 in Halifax (Nova Scotia) and about 2 weeks ago, we were lucky to reach Colombia. On out trip until now, we did about 50.000 miles and wie NEVER had Trouble with other People!
So we will stay on the road for the next years and hope to reach Tierra del Fuego at Christmas 2014.
If someone wants to see more of our travel you can visit our Blog : www.crossamerika.wordpress.com (Sorry, ist in german, but google translate should help)
Otherwise any questions will be answered here (at the Moment, i dont't know, how it works but i will see).

Sorry for my bad english!

Lothar

Hi Lothar,

So glad you found it! Your English is good.

I wish I could have met you in person when I saw your truck.

50,000mi and no issues with people--the world is still a good place yes? :)

Could you post some interior pictures of your camper?

Keep having fun on the road!

-Jeremy

Lothar May

Hello Jeremy,

ist a Little bit difficult to put Pictures into the Internet while you are in Colombia and trying to catch a free WIFI. So, if you are interested, visit our blog at http://crossamerika.wordpress.com and in the menu click on "Das Fahrzeug" and following on "Der Umbau". There you can see a lot of Pictures, made while we were building our Interieur.
I hope, that will be ok for you.
Otherwise, in some weeks we will reach Bogotá and may be, we will catch what the colombians call Ultra high Speed WIFI :)

Lothar

Lothar May

Hello Andreas,

sorry, but as far as i know, they don`t have any web side. (to much work, while travelling :)

Lothar

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Thank you anyway ;-) Did you have a look inside their truck? He did the cabinetry himself, I totally loved it! Very natural and cozy.

Happy travels

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Hello Jeremy,

ist a Little bit difficult to put Pictures into the Internet while you are in Colombia and trying to catch a free WIFI. So, if you are interested, visit our blog at http://crossamerika.wordpress.com and in the menu click on "Das Fahrzeug" and following on "Der Umbau". There you can see a lot of Pictures, made while we were building our Interieur.
I hope, that will be ok for you.
Otherwise, in some weeks we will reach Bogotá and may be, we will catch what the colombians call Ultra high Speed WIFI :)

Lothar

Gorgeous interior!

Lothar May

Hi together,
Long time ago that this thread was started. Now, after 7 years of travelling, our trip will end in the first part of the next year and our Expedition truck is for sale. We created a blog side which is called https://MAN8150.wordpress.com with many Pictures and all technical Data.
Unfortunately it is in german, but i think Google Translation could help. For questions please don`t hesitate and contact us under may_holz@web.de.
Greetings from Paraguay
Lothar

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Hi together,
Long time ago that this thread was started. Now, after 7 years of travelling, our trip will end in the first part of the next year and our Expedition truck is for sale. We created a blog side which is called https://MAN8150.wordpress.com with many Pictures and all technical Data.
Unfortunately it is in german, but i think Google Translation could help. For questions please don`t hesitate and contact us under may_holz@web.de.
Greetings from Paraguay
Lothar

Hi Lothar,

Wonderful to hear from you again.
How many km's on your MAN now?
Asking price $??

Jeremy

Lothar May

Price

Hi,
the truck now has done about 195000km. 135000km on our America trip. The Price with every Equipment "ready to travel" is 70.000 US$ when picking the truck up here in South America.
Otherwise we will ship the truck back to Europe and sell it in Germany.

Greetings

Lothar

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Hi,
the truck now has done about 195000km. 135000km on our America trip. The Price with every Equipment "ready to travel" is 70.000 US$ when picking the truck up here in South America.
Otherwise we will ship the truck back to Europe and sell it in Germany.

Greetings

Lothar

Definitely would be the long route home. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier

Members online