Perfect Horn for Motos

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
While perusing on kickstarter.com I found this horn. I have ordered two and am looking forward to it coming to market.

I think it is the perfect solution that allows both the "friendly beep" and the no holds barred "get the heck outta my way" blast. I particularly like that it incorporates flashing high beams simultaneously. If that doesn't get their attention.....

If you think this is as cool as I do, get on kickstarter and check it out.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/153591688/banshee-horn-safety-system-for-motorcycles-cars-an?ref=recently_launched

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Heck, that would be great in my CJ too!!

I like the concept, great idea!

I used to have both the factory horn, and an air horn from a semi on my old truck. Came in handy at times.

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
That's a great idea if the air horn is reliable. The Stebel one that my KLR came with didn't work for very long and that seems to be a common problem.

JRhetts

Adventurer
I dont want to take anything away from this OP, but there may be some very good but simpler alternatives. I put a pair of Hella dual tone horns on my bike, and I can assure you that I can now get the attention of any car/whatever that may be about to enter my path. Simple electric horns that are VERY loud.

John

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
I dont want to take anything away from this OP, but there may be some very good but simpler alternatives. I put a pair of Hella dual tone horns on my bike, and I can assure you that I can now get the attention of any car/whatever that may be about to enter my path. Simple electric horns that are VERY loud.

John

No denying that there are a zillion alternatives out there but none of them offer the advantage of combining a flashing high beam simultaneously in a simple kit. That's something hard to do while you're grabbing fistfuls of clutch and brake.

schnutzy

Observer
the air horn itself looks like it is the same one ive run in the past(although in a truck), offered by Wolo. it was a great little horn that lasted many years before the compressor gave up(did not know it was supposed to be oiled every 6 months). plus side is, if you think that horn is to high pitched, it takes all of 5 minutes to swap out one of the other Wolo horns for a deeper tone.

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
Mario's similar thread on advrider has degenerated into an "If you need a horn you shouldn't be riding" versus "A horn can be quite useful" argument. I'm surprised nobody lobbed in the ABS grenade or "My dad is better than your dad."

I think this device is pretty neat. If only my KLR had a high beam. ;) I wonder what else is in the works.

Lousy Horn for Motos...

While a loud horn might be a good idea, a 1/2 second delay before the horn gets loud seems, well, pretty useless. As someone over on ADV posted...

"apply a bit logic to this idea... then it becomes one of the stupidest..

adding a loud horn is a good one. but why in the world should I want to delay 1/2 second before it works. 1/2 second when someone is pulling out in front of you is an eternity.

flashing headlight... could take it or leave it ... not convinced it would do much if any good during the daytime. at night ... wouldn't want anything to distract from illuminating the night. strobing lights have been proven to disorient. usually at a faster rate than in video.

just add a loud horn and be done!!! a light beep for a polite warning"

As someone with 25+ years of both off and on road motorcycling, I wholeheartedly agree with this poster's response, particularly: "why in the world should I want to delay 1/2 second before it works. 1/2 second when someone is pulling out in front of you is an eternity." Someone who doesn't ride or has very little experience riding motorcycles might not have considered this, but anyone who has any type of street motorcycling experience at all knows this to be oh so true. If a cager pulls out in front of you, and you have 1/2 a second to wait before your horn works, then truth be told, the horn probably wasn't all that necessary in the first place. If you don't have a 1/2 second to wait, then trust me, you'll be focusing intensely on a variety of matters, but your horn probably isn't one of them.

I'm all for innovative ideas that move the industry forward, however IMO, this horn is a step in the WRONG direction, and it's just plain useless.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
Agree with you there James....in my travels I found evasion is the best choice. People simply do not pay attention...including myself at times (only human ya know!)...:ylsmoke:

While I do have a horn on my street legal Gas Gas, I use more for getting attention of fellow trail riders if they took a wrong turn or something...and to taunt a slow rider in front of me. :bike_rider: (for fun, not to be mean)

393407_10150450823894630_766319629_8415786_836794335_n.jpg

Last edited:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
While I do have a horn on my Gas Gas, I use more for getting attention of fellow trail riders if they took a wrong turn or something...and to taunt a slow rider in front of me.

I use mine to remind myself that the turn signal button is 1/2" lower than the button I just pushed (which was the horn button). This is particularly useful when wearing heavy winter gloves. :rolleyes:

Clutch

<---Pass
I use mine to remind myself that the turn signal button is 1/2" lower than the button I just pushed (which was the horn button). This is particularly useful when wearing heavy winter gloves. :rolleyes:

Funny! Heck yeah...it is much easier to evade than try and find the horn button, even though the Gasser has one of the nicer switch assemblies I have used.

ec-300-electric-start-15_795x530.jpg

lowenbrau

Explorer
I haven't ridden in years but when I was younger a motorcycle was my only means of transport. I also saw this on kickstarter and my initial thought was also that 1/2 second was way too long to wait. I did, however think that the combination of a moto horn followed by something louder was a good idea. If you just start with an air horn people will look around for the big rig that is honking. It is important to have a sound that suits the vehicle. It is hard enough for cagers to pinpoint sound but when the sound doesn't match the vehicle they need another way to connect the two. That is where the flashing light comes in. It gives a visual connection to the big sound. I am not a supporter of those constantly strobing M/C headlights but in the event of an emergency it seems to make sense. I have considered wiring the high beam circuits on my trucks to the horn relay for the same reason.

Clutch

<---Pass
I haven't ridden in years but when I was younger a motorcycle was my only means of transport. I also saw this on kickstarter and my initial thought was also that 1/2 second was way too long to wait. I did, however think that the combination of a moto horn followed by something louder was a good idea. If you just start with an air horn people will look around for the big rig that is honking. It is important to have a sound that suits the vehicle. It is hard enough for cagers to pinpoint sound but when the sound doesn't match the vehicle they need another way to connect the two. That is where the flashing light comes in. It gives a visual connection to the big sound. I am not a supporter of those constantly strobing M/C headlights but in the event of an emergency it seems to make sense. I have considered wiring the high beam circuits on my trucks to the horn relay for the same reason.

Meh...just run loud pipes...and it is connected to your right hand...which is much easier to use and instinct to some of us who have been riding for a long time. You will do it without even thinking and no delay! Oh I can hear the "loud pipe" argument coming...on my street bikes loud pipes have saved me many of times. It is time tested and mother approved! My off-road bikes I have to make whisper quiet because the enviro-nazis get their panties in a bunch right quick...:rolleyes: Of course nothing makes those types happy...they even hate my near silent mountain bike. Bloody fun haters...

gabepari

Explorer
SNIP....they even hate my near silent mountain bike. Bloody fun haters...

I think right now my mountain bike would be louder than my motos... Huff Puff, Pant, Pant, GAAAaaasssPPP!!!

Horns on motorcycles are strictly for telling your buddy he went the wrong way, but they suck at that too...

Beep Beep,

Gabe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles