New Guy With some Questions.

VATACO

Adventurer
I bought a 2011 DC TRD Offroad Tacoma back in September and have been gathering ideas since then on what sort of truck I wanted to build. I'm located on the Atlantic here in Virginia, and so there will be an equal amount of time spent between beach runs to the Outer Banks as well as to the VA and NC mountains.

Just placed an order for a Baja Rack, a size small Camping Labs RTT, and a 47in Camping Labs awning.

Previously I was planning on going with a camper shell and mounting the RTT to a set of Yakima track bars. I think I'd rather keep the bed open in a way and go with a bed rack. I've seen the All Pro version, but was wondering whether there was any other major suppliers at this point putting out racks or should I just look at having one custom made for my truck?

Thanks for the help.

VATACO

upcountry

Explorer
I have a nice fiberglass camper shell on my 07' quad cab short bed and I would not trust mounting an RTT to the shell via a rack. I like your idea of using a bed-mounted rack and elevating the RTT above the bed keeping it open, or go with a soft top underneath it.

Or, if you want to keep your gear dry and secure, you could use a contractor type rack that mounts to the top of the truck bed rails and then wraps arond the camper shell:

shell.jpg

These are readliy available and would give you the best of both worlds with a feeling of security about how much weight is supported by the rack vs. the camper shell. That my $0.02 .

Finlay

Triarius
Softopper makes a rack that fits over (and around) the softopper. And there is always a Can-Back if you can find one and afford it.

This gentleman here went a different direction that I think turned out well.

I just bought a CVT RTT and am going to try and make a rack similar to this. I'd like to do something similar to the Can-Back, where the main frame is enclosed in canvas with roll up sides, and still has a usable and sturdy rack overhead for the RTT and other gear..

VATACO

Adventurer
Starting to think I'm just going to go with a custom tabbed aluminum bed rack. I live in a major offshore fishing area and there are top shops everywhere, should be able to find someone to make one for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles