2003 Duramax Stock Bumper Mod

WCO

It's Lil' Willi
Hey everyone, I'm pondering something and want some feed back.....after looking at my dmax's bumper (see photo) I wast thinking that if I pull the plastic cladding off, I'd have a stock looking, high clearance, good approach angle bumper. I'd fab up a stainless skit plate from the ifs to the chrome, but it would greatly increase my clearance for the tires, and wouldn't be to obtrusive such as a large bumper replacement.....the biggest bummer would be loosing my stock fogs (which are practically useless anyways), but the wiring would be in place to hook up some after market fogs to my stock switch (which I already have :wings: )

The next question....to run it by my wife or just do it ;-) 102_1356.JPG

shellb

Adventurer
With these type of things I think that it might be better to ask for forgiveness than permission!

WCO

It's Lil' Willi
With these type of things I think that it might be better to ask for forgiveness than permission!

Touche shellb! I say it to give my wife a hard time, but then that's why I got her a '78 powerwagon, with which she can do what she wants (ie: says honey can you build me a better bumper...or honey, I backed into something again....can you fix it ;-0 )

sniderexciderr

Observer
what i like to do is just go for it, make it look as good as i possibly can, and explain how the mod will greatly improve the performance of the vehicle. of corse, mine is paid off and already has hacked fenders and a hole for my snorkel project. so, as long as it doesn't cost much she won't say too much. :D

sniderexciderr

Observer
p.s. and when i want to lay down the cash for lockers or a winch i'll just get it stuck real good and nasty while shes with me and make her get the snap strap

bob91yj

Resident **************
Your rear axle should have a factory locker in it. I work at a GMC dealership, PM me the last 8 digits of your VIN, I can check the build sheet on it to verify. I've seen a truck with the bumper similar to your idea, can't remember where, maybe at work. Didn't look great, but it was OK. I'm not a fan of the overdone Mad Max bumpers with the monkey bars in front of the grille either though.

brian90744

American Trekker
bumper upgrade

bumper by Buckstop.biz=I upgrade my 2003 piece of plastic to a HD bumper bumper 2.jpg

Last edited:

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
The factory bumper has a lot of mounting holes for the plastic cladding.
You could weld the holes smooth and paint or plate it.

Keep us posted on the results.

Attachments

• g040304_1.jpg
    g040304_1.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 170

BurbanAZ

Explorer
i think it depends on how "clean" you want it to look, im sure it would look good after but filling everything and smoothing sounds like alot of grinding to me. Still interested to see how it turns out though dont forget to post some pics

WCO

It's Lil' Willi
I know on the outside of the bumper has some flanges that I'd need to cut......most of the holes are on the bottom flange, so I wouldn't worry to much about patching them.....I'm lined out to get an ARB in the future, but just not in the immediate.....I got the OK from the wife by explaining to her that the bumper sits so low, I'm going to rip the cladding off one way or another, at least this way I can keep it for the future or sell it, while it's still in good shape! :) I'm going to try and start on it this weekend, I'll take pics and post!

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Sounds like a mod that would attract the attention of all your local speed traps. And some lift laws are measured from bumper to ground. If you remove the bottom half of your bumper, would you still be ok?

Jeepers get away with stubby bumper hijinks because they rarely cause crashes and really aren't too popular in modded form. Being that their owners are well aware what a death trap their Jeep can be in a crash may be part of that. I got away with all kinds of stuff with my Jeep. No plates, no bumpers, no fenders, tires sticking out half a foot, view obstructed by mud, etc. etc.

But everytime so much as my license plate light goes out on my fullsize truck.......

WCO

It's Lil' Willi
Buliwyf.....I didn't think about the lift laws.....but I know here in Cali it's a measure to the headlights. My truck's suspension will remain stock, with a leveling kit up front, and tire size is stock, so I think I'll be ok. Where I live in Hollister, CA, home of "Top truck challenge," I should be ok as there are full size chevys running around on 48 inch tires, fully tubed 4-linked rear ends, and bobbed front ends, I'll still remain inconsipicious :) That is also part of the reason I am thinking of modifying my stock bumper, it'll be less attention grabbing than an aftermarket bumper.....we'll see!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94