Best Garmin dashboard GPS

grizz

I believe Bert is correct from my digging at least. The Nuvi 550 is a 3.5" and the Montana is 4".
From a couple of hunters the montana is a very good choice all round. Did more digging and the Montana kepted coming up. Up here in these neck of the woods the Montana ended up being twice the price over the 550.
What the hell, you only live once, so they say..............

Last edited:

burt

Observer
Yea the price is way up there but if its as good as it sounds it will take the place of both the vehicle one and a hand held, so the price could be about right. Another thing that Im excited about is the montanas ability to take both a rechargable lith batt or regular AA. I hope you remember to keep us posted on how you like it.

JRhetts

Adventurer
I am surprised that no one has mentioned the eTrex VISTA Hcx.

I use it to give me routes on the Garmin NoAm software that comes with it,

... as well as to see where I am in real time on the topos I have uploaded from the GPSfiledepot site.

This little unit seems to do it all for me. You might want to check it out for your purposes — it's way less expensive than the Montana or Oregon units!! I mount it on my motorcycle as well as use it in my 4x4 and I carry it when hiking — recording tracklogs for "memories" all the while. [I don't think the Nuvis can do this, can they?]

Last edited:

DrMoab

Explorer
The screen on the etrex is the same size or even smaller than my 60 series. I want bigger. I can't see the small screens.

ThomD

Explorer
I wonder if the GPSMAP 620 or 640 would work. These have 5.2" screens. Garmin has often put its largest screens in their marine plotter series.

grizz

Rec'd the montana and getting familiar with it. It is a keeper, very nice. The only negative thing, so far is you have to print the instruction manual yourself. Everything now a days is done on line, down load the manual to your computor,etc. So until I print off the owners manual I am getting the feel for the unit around the house, with the computor strapped to my ***.

DesertXJ

Observer
I have been a garmin fan for yrs they are great.
Here's my set up in my jeep...

100_1623.JPG

This a Nuvi 265W with Topo 24k. Southwest loaded on a SDcard. This will get me where I'm going Then when I get where I want to be if i want to do some explorations on foot I use this.

gps.JPG

Last edited:

colodak

Adventurer
I just picked up two Garmin 1300's off ebay, they both appear to be able to accept the pedestrian city xplore maps and SD cards

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles