Best Garmin dashboard GPS

DrMoab

Explorer
Which Garmin GPS would be best suited for my needs?

I've got quite a bit of money tied up in Garmins proprietary topo 24K maps that I've been using on my old 60CSX but I want to move to a dash mount, wide screen unit.

Are there any Nuvi units that will allow me to upload the topo maps along with routes with multiple waypoints and the ability to change routes on the unit itself?

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
I have a NUVI 500 that does those those things. It is a few years old now, but I still like it.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
can I ask why you can't use the 60csx as a dashboard/car mount unit...the reason I ask is I was planning on buying the same unit for use in my truck and handheld when backpacking/bikepacking/etc

DrMoab

Explorer
can I ask why you can't use the 60csx as a dashboard/car mount unit...the reason I ask is I was planning on buying the same unit for use in my truck and handheld when backpacking/bikepacking/etc

I love the 60 but I want something with a little larger screen. Sitting on the dash it's a little hard for me to see. I'm not getting rid of my hand held though. It works great.

kai38

Explorer
My NUVi 1450 also will let you add routes, waypoints etc and add topo maps to the micro card

DrMoab

Explorer
I know about the Zumo. I really don't want to pay double the price. Those suckers are expensive.

gahi

Adventurer
I just picked up a garmin 62s, they're on sale for $299. For me it has to be able to leave the vehicle with me. If the screen is too much of a pain to read if I ever start actually using it for directions, I'll look for one of the big Nuvi's

This post has pics of one.

grizz

Have a look at the Montana. I just got a Nuvi 50 series just for off road use mainly. Hope it works out. $150 vs $500 i have to try. Also check out garmin site as they gave a run down on the units.

DrMoab

Explorer
I've studied the Garmin site pretty extensively. The problem is the feature page they have is vague at best. They used to tell you If the units were compatible with topo maps and now all they show is what City Navigator maps will work.

deserteagle56

Adventurer
Dr. Moab, I am certainly no expert on all the Garmin Nuvi models but my understanding is that most of them will do Topo maps just fine. Just load the maps you want in Mapsource and then copy onto a SD or microSD card (whichever your particular Nuvi uses). You will not be able to customize the Nuvi the way you can a handheld in as far as what you have visible on the screen at any one time. If you have to have a fairly large screen and all the features of a handheld then you need the Montana. But that's big bucks!
For the past couple years I have used a Nuvi 5000 as my primary vehicle GPS in my expedition vehicles. 5.2 inch screen with twice the resolution of any other Nuvi and for my ancient eyes it's a godsend. It also has an external antenna connection. To keep the sun from washing out the screen I mount the Nuvi up against the roof of the vehicle and in this position it has trouble seeing satellites so the external magnet mount antenna goes up on the roof. Here are some shots of the screen on mine. These are all the GPSfiledepot maps that you can download for free. I also use Garmin's 24k West (Washington, Oregon, and Nevada) maps but don't have any photos of them. They are pretty much the same but have a different color scheme.
The Nevada GPSfiledepot maps show private land as white and public as dark green; highways are orange, contour lines are brown and secondary roads are gray. Your track (which cannot be turned off) will show as a bright blue. But they will show most of the mines, ranches, peaks, and even wells/windmills. Having driven these same roads for the past 40+ years it is interesting to me to see what is out there that I didn't know about before, until I saw them on the GPS!
IMG_2256.jpg

The below was taken in the old (1860s) Hamilton mining district west of Ely, Nevada and each of the pick/shovel emblems indicate the location of another ancient mine:
IMG_1823.jpg

This one was taken on Christmas day returning from Oregon, where US 95 drops off the mountain and crosses the Owyhee River. The colors of the Oregon GPSfiledepot map aren't nearly as dark as the Nevada map and are easier to read!
IMG_7693.jpg

If you want to see your coordinates or elevation or which satellites the GPS is using, you have to touch the menu button and go to a different page of the display....
IMG_2767.jpg

Hope this information helps!

DrMoab

Explorer
Yes that helps a ton, thanks. Have you used it much for making route with multiple waypoints on trails and smaller dirt roads? If you have a route plugged in will it auto correct to the next waypoint if you miss one? I know the Zumo units do this.

deserteagle56

Adventurer
No, I have not tried making routes, yet. Mainly because I haven't seen the need for it. Also, the GPSfiledepot maps are not routable. But the Garmin 24k maps which I recently acquired are, to my understanding; I just haven't gotten around to trying them yet. I have read that some Nuvi models have trouble following routes waypoint to waypoint and will try to route you overland to get to the next waypoint rather than following the route itself.
Personally I am less than impressed with the Garmin 24k maps. There are just too many roads that do not appear on the map at all, roads that have been there forever, good, bladed roads that I can easily travel 50 mph on. Yet the GPS shows me traveling cross-country! The GPSfiledepot maps are a bit better in that respect. I wish that Delorme put out a large-screen GPS the size of my Nuvi. The Delorme maps are much better with respect to having all roads and trails on their maps. I usually pack a Delorme unit with me for hiking/dirt biking purposes and sometimes I have to resort to it - but what a tiny screen!

burt

Observer
I am in exactly the same spot you are in. I have a nuvi 160 that does nothing but get me lost off road and a 60 that is impossible to see while driving. Im eager to hear how the 24k maps work on the nuvi series. Yesterday after an hour of tech support on the phone with garmin the verdict from them (compiled from a couple different departments) is that none of the nuvi except the 500 series will work well with topo. The garmin site is actually pretty clear on which ones take topo they just dont give it as an option if it isnt one. If you go to the 24k topo software on the garmin sight it will also say what it is compatable with. My 160 is suposed to be compatible and Im trying to put the 24k topo on there now but after talking to the software dept at garmin id be suprised if it did me much good. Dont take any advise from internet sales places like amazon because they will have it confused for sure. The Montana seems like the perfect solution finally for having one gps to do it all on/off road and out of the vehicle but I havent seen enough feedback (or even an actual unit) to vouch for it. Short answer from what ive gathered is 500 series nuvi or montana are the garmin solutions for what we are trying to do.

Last edited:

grizz

I have returned the Nuvi and ordered the Montana 600. I will be able to do a lot more with it. Tracks and it is waterproof and longer battery life should i need to use it on foot. All around a much better unit for my needs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior